having trouble aquiring a six pack

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Though it hasn't been posted yet..and with great hesitation for fear of sounding judgmental...I'll go ahead and ask why it's at all important to have one?

Really, it isn't about core strength. It's about 'showing' the muscle. As someone posted, you have to drain yourself down to get to that level, and I still maintain that not everyone's body can even handle such a low level of body fat. I dunno.

Why is it important? Ego? Impressing others? LOL. Seriously, I'm with you. I work out 3 times a week, I make an effort to do cardio, which consists of jogging on a treadmill. I walk daily, a few miles, with my dog, and there are times, when I'll wear a weighted vest, and on days when the weather is bad, I'll wear it inside and go up and down my stairs in the condo. I try to watch what I eat, but of course, I can't always be good..lol. So, with all that, no, I dont have a 6 pack, nor do I care if I ever have one.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
your right its not that important but its a acomplishment if i dont get one it wont really matter cause i still feel good as hell even if i can get somewhere close to it would be really cool other than that im a still have 5 of them tacos of carne asada come friday night its a weekly ritual %-}

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
your right its not that important but its a acomplishment if i dont get one it wont really matter cause i still feel good as hell even if i can get somewhere close to it would be really cool other than that im a still have 5 of them tacos of carne asada come friday night its a weekly ritual %-}

Nothing wrong with a 'cheat' day here and there, but if you're doing that everyday, then thats a problem.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been told with my friends that with my looks I won't be doing a cover shot for GQ in the near future. So I think that I'm gona just enjoy my food and train to be strong and healthy. Tp hell with the si-pack, roll out the barrel.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been told with my friends that with my looks I won't be doing a cover shot for GQ in the near future. So I think that I'm gona just enjoy my food and train to be strong and healthy. Tp hell with the si-pack, roll out the barrel.

Helllo, Gotta love those Chinese movies...who have those large "pot bellies" and use them as weapons....very funny to watch...

People with lots of fat? ...very hard to damage them...?

Aloha, six-pack or 1 ton?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can do ab exercises until you're blue in the face, but if your diet sucks, you'll have nothing but hard abs under layers of fat. Start with diet and lots of cardio first. With time, the abs will show. And please...don't buy into the fancy machines or other gimmicks. There is no magic solution. Its hard work, hard work and more hard work.

100% true. Ab exercises will give you rock hard abs. I've always had those.
But unless you maintain a proper diet, they will be hidden under a layer of fat.

Getting a 6 pack is not that hard if you want to: burn calories any way you like. As your fat percentage drops, the 6 pack will come out. The reason many people will never have a 6pack is that it takes a long time of watching your diet, and it doesn't really have any advantages, other than the visual aspect. For men, stomach fat is the last to go. I have a 6 pack, my sensei doesn't. Guess who can kick whose *** :)... It is just visual.

A year ago, I was starting to get a potbelly. I simply started exercising on one of those bikes 3 times per week, and cut the junk out of my diet: soda, potato chips, waffles, candy, etc. I also reduced alcohol intake. Then I started MA again. Now I have a 6 pack, though I do not yet have that 'chiseled' look.

Honestly, the 6 pack is just a by product of wanting to keep my weight in check. It's not like it is my goal.

Reactions: MJS

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Genetics do play a role, but only in so much as to how easy or difficult it will be for you to get a six pack. Every healthy male can do it. I have had several friends tell me "my family is heavy, it's not in my genetics" but when I got them on a program (diet and exercise etc) and they stuck to it, they achieved their goal. There are much better trainers out there than me. So while body type (Mesomorph/ectomorph etc) will affect how easy it is to get lean, or how much mass you can build, you can do far more within your genetics than most people think.

Also, you do not need to be hungry all the time to get lean, what you do need to do is have an incredibly disciplined diet and exercise schedule. You have to eat clean, you have to eat at the right times and the right frequencies, you have to have the right ratio of protein/carbs/fats and that ratio has to change based on time of day and that days routine. You have to track changes in your body composition, and make changes to your diet and exercise as needed. In short, what it takes is much more discipline than most people have or are willing to muster for a six pack.

Suicide, I suggest that you purchase a couple of good books on the subject of diet and exercise. Myself and others can recommend some good ones that can be had for cheap on amazon if you need ideas. Get yourself a magazine subscription to something like fitnessRX. Spend time on some of the internet sites out there specifically geared towards fitness for fighters (rossboxing.com / rosstraining.com are a fav of mine) and really put some time into getting up to speed. While you will get some good suggestions here, and get pointed in the right direction, I doubt anyone has the time or energy to write a 15 page post to give you the type of detail you need to get to 8% BF, improve speed and power, etc…

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Suicide, I suggest that you purchase a couple of good books on the subject of diet and exercise. Myself and others can recommend some good ones that can be had for cheap on amazon if you need ideas.

:wavey:

Ooo! Me, me! I'd love a couple titles if you have a moment. PM me if you like, or I'm sure it would be useful to others if you posted them here too. Thank you from the bottom of my kegger abs.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have never tried it but I hear that P90X, something called the 300 Challenge, Crossfit and somthing else are all really good MA programs that will get you in shape (if they dont kill you in the process...)

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score

Ooo! Me, me! I'd love a couple titles if you have a moment. PM me if you like, or I'm sure it would be useful to others if you posted them here too. Thank you from the bottom of my kegger abs.

Flea honey, we women shouldn't have visible six packs. Sure, develop your core strength, but maintain a layer of lovely soft fat over your muscles. Women are beautiful and we don't need a fat-phobic society telling us to hate ourselves because we don't look like dudes with boobs.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Genetics do play a role, but only in so much as to how easy or difficult it will be for you to get a six pack. Every healthy male can do it. I have had several friends tell me "my family is heavy, it's not in my genetics" but when I got them on a program (diet and exercise etc) and they stuck to it, they achieved their goal. There are much better trainers out there than me. So while body type (Mesomorph/ectomorph etc) will affect how easy it is to get lean, or how much mass you can build, you can do far more within your genetics than most people think.

You're the first person I've met outside of the holistic/natural health industry that is familiar with soma-types/soma-psychology. Or ARE you in the industry? :)

kungfu penguin

Green Belt
Reaction score
the older you get the harder it will be over 30 2x harder than 20 40 2x harder than 30 43 now and i still dont have a 6 pack but working on one at one time i had a pary ball or a keg depends on what shirt i wore

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing about getting a six pack is diet not more exorcises, proper diet will allow the six pack to show other wise you are just rock hard with a layer of fat, like me.
icon10.gif

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I have no problem getting a six pack, but it does take me a few nights to drink them.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
You're the first person I've met outside of the holistic/natural health industry that is familiar with soma-types/soma-psychology. Or ARE you in the industry? :)

Not in the industry, no. Had some serious injuries in junior high / high school (broken back, dislocated shoulders etc) and got tired of doctors telling me surgery was a necessity to heal, here is some pain medication…you'll never play sports again. So, I started reading all I could regarding a more natural approach built around allowing the body to do what it was made to do (heal itself).

Now I'm almost 30 and I can squat, bench, clean and dead lift more than I ever could before... all lifts I was "never supposed to be able to do again." My mile time is 5:50 and I run a 4.7 40! Ha, take that doctors!

Flea, I'll ask my wife what books she recommends. I know she likes fitnessRX for women and she has a copy of women’s health abs diet book, which she likes as well. She has many more, as do I.

One thing everyone needs to remember; there are basic fundamental principles about health and fitness - beyond that exercise and diet has to be individualized. That means consistent testing, trial and error.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

Flea honey, we women shouldn't have visible six packs. Sure, develop your core strength, but maintain a layer of lovely soft fat over your muscles. Women are beautiful and we don't need a fat-phobic society telling us to hate ourselves because we don't look like dudes with boobs.

Women -are- beautiful, and don't let people tell you otherwise.
Six packs are definitely not a requirement to being beautiful.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
when taking the wey protein , do you also take it on rest days when you dont work out ?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
when taking the wey protein , do you also take it on rest days when you dont work out ?

I'm curious.....have you posted your diet yet? Maybe you have and I just missed it, but I see alot of talk about supplements, but nothing of what you're eating. Again, maybe I'm missing it, but if you havent posted it, as I said, I think thats more important right now, than trying to figure out what magic supplements to take.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious.....have you posted your diet yet? Maybe you have and I just missed it, but I see alot of talk about supplements, but nothing of what you're eating. Again, maybe I'm missing it, but if you havent posted it, as I said, I think thats more important right now, than trying to figure out what magic supplements to take.

He posted a bit about that here.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know I was just thinking I haven't had trouble aquiring a six pack since I was 19 years old :drink2tha:drinky:

Sorry I could no longer resist...I will go now.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score

This is entirely dependent upon if you ware using a meal replacement whey protein powder or the non-fortified whey protein powder. The short answer: if it is a meal replacement, yes. If it is not, maybe. That is dependent upon how much protein you eat on your rest days. If you are eating 50g-70g of protein on your off days, I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest Discussions