From Movement to Transmission: Preserving the Art of Wooden Dummy Training

Branko Knezevic28 9

Yellow Belt

​

wooden-dummy-training-movement-and-transmission.webp

Martial arts have traditionally passed from teacher to student through observation, imitation, correction, repetition, and physical contact. A student does more than memorize movements. Through practice, the student gradually develops coordination and perception that words alone cannot convey.

Video offers a way to preserve and share wooden dummy training, but recording a movement does not necessarily transmit the knowledge within it. We can see where an arm ends up while missing what happened at the point of contact, how force changed direction, or how the body supported the transition.

Movements such as Tan, Bong, Fok, and Man give us a vocabulary. To understand them, we must also study how one movement becomes another while contact continues. Those relationships form a kind of movement grammar.

Movements provide the vocabulary.
Transitions provide the grammar.
Continuous practice develops fluency.


The wooden dummy is a reference tool for developing this fluency. It gives the student a consistent structure through which to explore contact, angles, force, and coordination. It is not a substitute for a training partner, and its arms do not dictate a fixed response to an opponent.

Structured video instruction can show the sequence and draw attention to details that are easy to miss. Beginning with one arm, then working with two arms, and eventually practicing the complete form gives the student a path for developing these relationships. But the student must still practice and feel what changes through contact. That is where visible instruction begins to become personal knowledge.

To transmit wooden dummy training through video, we must do more than preserve the appearance of techniques:

Preserve the movement.
Explain the relationship.
Develop the perception.
Transmit the principle.


What deserves to be passed on is the knowledge contained within the movement.
 
@Branko Knezevic After visiting your website (theartofmookyanjong.com) and socials, it appears that your focus is selling "secrets" of the 木人樁. Given that the wooden dummy is is just one of the many VT training tools in a single curriculum (simply one part of the whole), in what ways do you promote the development of the entire system?
 
@Branko Knezevic After visiting your website (theartofmookyanjong.com) and socials, it appears that your focus is selling "secrets" of the 木人樁. Given that the wooden dummy is is just one of the many VT training tools in a single curriculum (simply one part of the whole), in what ways do you promote the development of the entire system?
Thank you, Callen. I have deliberately chosen the wooden dummy as the sole focus through which I present my understanding of Wing Chun. From my perspective, it brings together fundamental qualities that practitioners should possess regardless of their tradition: wrist connection, coordinated elbow movement, turning, small steps, and coordination of the whole body.

Central to the method I learned from my Shifu is expressing techniques through the wrists while maintaining continuity of contact with the dummy’s arms. As the wrist turns, the elbow changes position and the body adjusts, allowing one technique to become another without repeatedly hitting and disconnecting.

In my approach, wooden dummy training should begin alongside Siu Nim Tau. Everything I am demonstrating here develops the techniques and principles contained in Siu Nim Tau. Practicing them against the dummy’s consistent reference gives the practitioner a physical way to explore contact, direction of force, and coordination from the beginning.

In my experience, this can considerably shorten the time needed to develop those qualities and prepare the practitioner for Chi Sao. Chi Sao then develops them further through interaction with a partner, contributing to the progression toward defensive application.

That is how this practice contributes to the whole system: the relationships developed in Siu Nim Tau are explored through contact with the dummy, refined with a partner, and carried into application.

Regarding “secrets,” my purpose is to explain these relationships openly and provide a structured way to practice them. That is what I am trying to preserve and transmit.
 
Central to the method I learned from my Shifu is expressing techniques through the wrists while maintaining continuity of contact with the dummy’s arms. As the wrist turns, the elbow changes position and the body adjusts, allowing one technique to become another without repeatedly hitting and disconnecting.
This concept exists in Okinawan karate as findi, changing hand.
 
That is an interesting comparison, and exactly the kind of exchange I find valuable. I see continuous transformation under contact as a principle shared across contact martial arts. What distinguishes the method I practice is the particular way it develops this quality through solitary training on the wooden dummy. Different traditions may use their own terminology and exercises to develop related principles.

In the wooden dummy method I learned from my Shifu, the emphasis is on maintaining contact through the wrists while the hands, elbows, and body continuously adjust. Tan can become Bong, Man, Wu, or another expression of force, with each transition changing how that force is directed. Each movement leads into the next. The transition itself becomes part of the training.

I would be interested to learn more about “findi.” Could you describe an exercise or share a demonstration showing how you train this principle in Okinawan karate?
 
I would be interested to learn more about “findi.” Could you describe an exercise or share a demonstration showing how you train this principle in Okinawan karate?
This can be practiced with muchimi, the Okinawan word for "sticky hands." While in contact with your partner the wrist bends and rotates to facilitate transitions from defense to offense to grabbing. In sparring it allows one to switch from defense to offense with the same hand, the other hand being held back in reserve. Some styles may have specific exercises or drills to practice this - mine does not - we just do it and also, it can be seen in a few kata bunkai.
 
Thanks for the great insight! What you are describing with muchimi and findi makes perfect sense, and it actually bridges a massive gap for me.
My primary background is in Southern Chinese Kung Fu, specifically working extensively with the wooden dummy (Mook Yan Jong). It is incredibly interesting to see how traditional Okinawan karate actually shares far more common ground with the way my Shifu taught me to approach dummy training than it does with how the vast majority of modern, mainstream Wing Chun practitioners train the wooden dummy today—specifically, approaching the dummy as a live opponent.
The way you describe muchimi—that heavy, sticky, adhesive quality where the wrist bends and rotates to mutate roles mid-motion—is exactly how high-level dummy work is supposed to feel. To that, I would just add that there is a "two ends" connection at play: the contact points of the arms/wrists with the dummy, and the soles of the feet with the floor. The goal is to never disconnect your wrists, palms, or the backs of your hands from the dummy arms, just as your feet must remain connected to the floor to constantly transfer the balance of weight between them.
When you pair findi (changing hand) with concepts like gamaku (pelvis leverage) and chinkuchi (the sudden joint-lock on impact), it mirrors Fa Jin and the structural horse stance perfectly. It’s clear that traditional Okinawan arts and old-school Southern Chinese arts are really just two sides of the same coin, focusing on close-quarters survival rather than sport.
 
This can be practiced with muchimi, the Okinawan word for "sticky hands."
this concept of “muchimi” is not limited to Kakie(the actual “sticky hands” drill) but also employed in solo exercises, as if one’s body being up to the neck in a “sticky” medium while punching, blocking and kicking….
The concept is actually quite similar to taijiquan practice methods
 
I read through this, and checked your websites....and I do not doubt you have things to offer, but to me what I am seeing here is mostly a sales pitch.

Understand I am basically a beginner at Wing Chun, but my sifu did start training me on the mook as soon as I finished Siu nim tau. But i do have many years of Taijiquan and XIngyiquan behind me, and I dabbled in a few other styles along the way.

Much of what I read, in your posts and on your site, my sifu has discussed, but take this for what it is worth. I am more than willing to admit that I feel that many martial artists today over think things. Work to hard a categorizing things and do not spend as much time as they should on practical applications....

but with that said, I wish you the best in your venture, and understand we just have different views of training
 
Thank you for reading my post and looking at my site. I appreciate your perspective. I understand why the courses might make the post feel like a sales pitch, but I wrote it to explain how I train and to exchange ideas.

I agree that contact and movement must be tested with a partner and explored in application. I use the wooden dummy as a solitary reference for developing wrist contact, coordinated movement, and continuous transitions. It gives a student time to work on those qualities before partner practice tests and refines them.

Your experience in Taiji and Xingyi raises a question I have been thinking about. I often see wooden dummies in schools whose main art has no established dummy curriculum. What draws practitioners to the tool, and how do they adapt it to the principles of their own art? Some demonstrations leave me unsure how the movements connect to those principles. I would value your view on that. If you are comfortable sharing a video of your Wing Chun or wooden dummy practice, I would also be interested to see your approach.
 
Thank you for reading my post and looking at my site. I appreciate your perspective. I understand why the courses might make the post feel like a sales pitch, but I wrote it to explain how I train and to exchange ideas.

I agree that contact and movement must be tested with a partner and explored in application. I use the wooden dummy as a solitary reference for developing wrist contact, coordinated movement, and continuous transitions. It gives a student time to work on those qualities before partner practice tests and refines them.

Your experience in Taiji and Xingyi raises a question I have been thinking about. I often see wooden dummies in schools whose main art has no established dummy curriculum. What draws practitioners to the tool, and how do they adapt it to the principles of their own art? Some demonstrations leave me unsure how the movements connect to those principles. I would value your view on that. If you are comfortable sharing a video of your Wing Chun or wooden dummy practice, I would also be interested to see your approach.
Xingyiquan has a pole for training, like the mook, but no arms, just a pole for various types of strikes. Taijiquan does not. I trained a bit of Sanda/Sanshou (Chinese Police version) a while back, and we were using a tree, and the occasional a wall. But I do train Wing Chun, and that is the reason I am currently training with a Mook Jong.

As for videos, no, I don't do videos at all, sorry
 
Thank you for explaining. The Xingyi striking pole is an interesting comparison, and I understand now that your own Mook Jong practice comes from your Wing Chun training. No need to apologize about videos—I appreciate you sharing your experience here.
 
Ai says the following about your last post:

It could plausibly have been written by AI, but I wouldn't regard it as obviously AI-generated. My impression is probably AI-assisted .

Very polished structure: each paragraph performs a clear function—acknowledgement, clarification, concession, explanation, then a question.

Balanced, diplomatic phrasing: expressions such as “I understand why…”, “I agree that…”, “I would value your view…” are characteristic of AI-generated replies because they systematically avoid confrontation.

Repetition of conceptual vocabulary: “principles,” “practice,” “movement,” “partner,” “application,” “approach”recur in a rather controlled way.

The final paragraph is particularly AI-like:

“Your experience in Taiji and Xingyi raises a question I have been thinking about.”

That's an elegant conversational transition, but also the sort of transition an LLM frequently produces.

Almost no idiosyncrasy. There are no little grammatical imperfections, unusual turns of phrase, humour, personal anecdotes, or spontaneous digressions that often give human correspondence its individual character.
 
You asked AI whether I used AI—that made me smile. 😄 Yes, I use it to help organize and polish my English. The observations about wrist contact and movement on the dummy come from my own training.

Have you asked it to analyze my videos as well? I’d be more interested in what you see in the movement.
 
You asked AI whether I used AI—that made me smile. 😄 Yes, I use it to help organize and polish my English. The observations about wrist contact and movement on the dummy come from my own training.

Have you asked it to analyze my videos as well? I’d be more interested in what you see in the movement.
I haven’t. Why do you do that for us?
 
I was asking for your own observations. If you watch my wooden dummy videos, I’d be interested to hear what you see in the training. And if you practice on the dummy yourself, I’d be glad to see your videos and learn how you approach it—polished English or not. 🙂
 
Movements such as Tan, Bong, Fok, and Man give us a vocabulary.
Some major purposes of the wooden dummy training you have not addressed yet such as:

1. Side door entering strategy.
2. Front door entering strategy.
3. How to switch between side door and front door.
4. How to block/deflect/catch opponent's waist level kick (by using dummy's middle low arm).
5. How to develop shin bite, reverse shin bite, scoop, scoop kick, sticky lift, foot sweep (by using dummy's leg).

Would like to know your view of 1,2,3,4,5.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for raising these specific training questions. My article focused primarily on how knowledge can be transmitted through video, so it did not attempt to address every purpose or aspect of wooden dummy training.

On your first three points—side entry, front entry, and transitioning between them—I’ll link a few short videos below.

One important point about my method is that the transitions around the dummy arms are always trained in both directions: in and out. I can treat an individual dummy arm as a reference point somewhat independently of the overall structure of the dummy. For example, what appears to be a transition from outside to inside can also be trained and understood in the opposite direction. The transfers I practice are applicable both ways.

This is a somewhat different way of using the wooden dummy. You can certainly interpret the dummy conventionally as representing a person with two arms and organize techniques within that framework. In my practice, however, the arms also function as reference points around which I explore changes of position, angle, contact, and force in both directions. This can be mentally challenging at first because you are not always interpreting the dummy from one fixed perspective, but with practice it becomes quite natural.

Weight transfer is equally important. Whether I am entering from the front, moving toward the side, or transitioning between positions, I am continually transferring weight between the legs and making small steps or turns. The movements of the wrists and feet and the transfer of body weight are therefore not separate elements; they are continuously coordinated throughout the movement.

From my experience, practicing this continuously on the wooden dummy for an extended period—sometimes for more than an hour -develops a very distinctive tactile and coordinative feeling. It is difficult to reproduce the same density of continuous transitions in another way.

Small Transitions in Wooden Dummy Training
Small Details Create Big Changes
Centerline and Art of Transition
 
Ai says the following about your last post:

It could plausibly have been written by AI, but I wouldn't regard it as obviously AI-generated. My impression is probably AI-assisted .

Very polished structure: each paragraph performs a clear function—acknowledgement, clarification, concession, explanation, then a question.

Balanced, diplomatic phrasing: expressions such as “I understand why…”, “I agree that…”, “I would value your view…” are characteristic of AI-generated replies because they systematically avoid confrontation.

Repetition of conceptual vocabulary: “principles,” “practice,” “movement,” “partner,” “application,” “approach”recur in a rather controlled way.

The final paragraph is particularly AI-like:

“Your experience in Taiji and Xingyi raises a question I have been thinking about.”

That's an elegant conversational transition, but also the sort of transition an LLM frequently produces.

Almost no idiosyncrasy. There are no little grammatical imperfections, unusual turns of phrase, humour, personal anecdotes, or spontaneous digressions that often give human correspondence its individual character.
I think it’s a good verbal demonstration of the concept of AI as found in for example AIKIDO
 
Last edited:
Back
Top