White belt - a few questions

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

A little background, and then a question or two if you don't mind.

My wife & I signed our (6 year old) son up for TKD (WTF) about 2.5-3 months ago.
We had tried hockey, soccer, baseball etc, but he didn't take to any of the other sports, not in the same way that he's taken to TKD. He absolutely loved it right from the start, and he's doing really well. His first (inter-academy) tournament resulted in him bringing home a Gold medal in 10 & under sparring. Talk about a confidence boost for him, right off the start!

After watching him at his first tournament, I was inspired, and decided to join as well. I've been at it for about 2 months now.

We are both white belts, and will be testing for our yellow stripes on Dec. 10th.

My questions are as follows:

• Any suggestions/advice for our upcoming testing? We're both confident that we'll pass, but what should we watch out for?
  • I'm 30. 6', 220lbs. I'm a good 20lbs heavier than I should be. I know I need to work on my cardio, but have a hard time finding the time. We don't have any equipment at home - any suggestions for something I can do inside? While doing some controlled sparring in class recently, I quickly realized that cardio is my biggest challenge.
We've got a tournament coming up in April, I'd really like to be about 15lbs lighter by then, and I'd love to have more endurance.
Any ideas?

I've been watching what I eat (started eating breakfast, watching calories/sugar intake/no soft drinks), but only having class twice a week leaves me a little short. I've been doing 50-100 pushups every morning to get my metabolism started - any other suggestions?

Thanks for listening/reading!

Kevin

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Relax and enjoy your training. You sounds like you have the blush of new training enthusiasm. In my expereince, this will wane over time and you'll settle into a good training groove. Just enjoy yourself. Your ability and conditioning will progress.

One thing you can do is swithc up only doping pushups for a more complete all around workout. Instead of doing 100 pushups. Try this,
3 rounds, 10 pullups (jumping or beginner if need be), 20 pushups, 30 situps/crunches, 40 bodyweights squats (do one set pullups, pushups, situps, and squats then repeat twice more). Finish off with 3 rounds (2 minutes each) of jumping rope. 30 seconds rest in between. The whole thing will be done in under 20 minutes.

Look around and you'll finds lots of good and quick workout routines, try www.crossfit.com
www.rosstraining.com

to start.
But mostly just relax and enjoy your training :)

Peace,
Erik

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
First off, congrats to your family on starting the journey into TKD...hopefully, you can make it a lifetime thing.

Secondly, in regards to your testing...don't sweat it too much...just make sure you can remember and execute what you're taught in class. You're a whitebelt...it's to be expected that you don't get everything right...but that's not to say that you shouldn't do your best...but I think you'll do fine, judging from what you say in your post...

Thirdly, in regards to stamina...the worst exercise in the universe is a little thing called burpees. Basically, from a standing position, you drop facedown into pushup position, perform a pushup, and then jump back to standing position...you can do this per command from someone else or just do as many as you can for 1 minute, rest for 30 seconds, go again for another minute, rest, etc. for about 10 reps...I promise you'll hate life afterwards.

But good luck on your test, and hopefully you'll be back to let us know how the test went.

And, welcome to MT!!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
get a copy of the test requirements

have your spouse run you through it.

then again and again till you think you can do it in your sleep.

night before, get a full nights rest

light breakfast morning of (for an AM test) or a light lunch (for an evening test)

dont get too crazy over it. This will be the easiest test in tems of material, but the hardest in terms of stress.

relax, practice, concentrate

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First off, congrats to your family on starting the journey into TKD...hopefully, you can make it a lifetime thing.

Secondly, in regards to your testing...don't sweat it too much...just make sure you can remember and execute what you're taught in class. You're a whitebelt...it's to be expected that you don't get everything right...but that's not to say that you shouldn't do your best...but I think you'll do fine, judging from what you say in your post...

Thirdly, in regards to stamina...the worst exercise in the universe is a little thing called burpees. Basically, from a standing position, you drop facedown into pushup position, perform a pushup, and then jump back to standing position...you can do this per command from someone else or just do as many as you can for 1 minute, rest for 30 seconds, go again for another minute, rest, etc. for about 10 reps...I promise you'll hate life afterwards.

But good luck on your test, and hopefully you'll be back to let us know how the test went.

And, welcome to MT!!

Thanks very much guys.

I know burpees very well, we do them in class from time to time.

I'll try to work that into my morning routine, don't know why I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Kevin

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Relax and enjoy your training. You sounds like you have the blush of new training enthusiasm. In my expereince, this will wane over time and you'll settle into a good training groove. Just enjoy yourself. Your ability and conditioning will progress.

One thing you can do is swithc up only doping pushups for a more complete all around workout. Instead of doing 100 pushups. Try this,
3 rounds, 10 pullups (jumping or beginner if need be), 20 pushups, 30 situps/crunches, 40 bodyweights squats (do one set pullups, pushups, situps, and squats then repeat twice more). Finish off with 3 rounds (2 minutes each) of jumping rope. 30 seconds rest in between. The whole thing will be done in under 20 minutes.

Look around and you'll finds lots of good and quick workout routines, try www.crossfit.com
www.rosstraining.com

to start.
But mostly just relax and enjoy your training :)

Peace,
Erik

I've seen crossfit, but thank you for the rosstraining link.

You're right, I've got the new guy enthusiasm thing going on. My boy has it too, he can't seem to go more than 30 seconds without throwing a roundhouse at my thigh. :)
His natural ability is really inspiring for me - he looks like he's been doing it for years.

Thanks again.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't have any advice for the training and excercise because I have high metabolism and have been blessed enough to be able to train with TKD only.

However as far as the test..

basically just know your stuff.

your white ---> yellow belt test is almost as big of a deal as your black belt test.. because its your first step outside of the martial arts box. The first time when you have to actually put what you have learned to use in front of others outside of your class. The small things you miss in class will be pointed out here. So best thing to do is to ask questions similar to how your doing here. If you have a feeling of something that isn't right ask your instructor how to correct it before the test.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Take up ashtanga yoga. It will limber you up and make your core strong while still building your endurance even thus it's not really an aerobic exercise form. The ashtanga part is important, as opposed to the hatha or lyengar variations of yoga.

I've been doing yoga for about 2 months now after experiencing a bulging disk problem. I feel it has helped me come back from the injury and hopefully will help prevent a future recurrence.

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He doesnt even have time to run how in the world can a person do yoga in front of their tv...(sarcasm)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I definitely don't recommend learning yoga from TV. It would be like learning martial arts from a video...you're bound to get all kinds of basic positions incorrect. I've been doing the same workout now for a month and I still have questions when I visit my yogi.

Anyway, why are you being so crabby, SA_BJJ? Bad day at the office?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Endurance comes with training and experience.

Eating right is an excellent start.

You can also invest in some fancy training gismos, like the Wii or a Playstation. Both have some excellent games inducing fitnes, like Dance dance revolution, for most parts low impact but non the less challenging.( get 2 mats and you can get fit in pairs)

(grats to the new hobby, btw, and REALLY don't sweat the test, it's fun, because all higher ranks have been there and the others are just as nervous as you are!)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesnt even have time to run how in the world can a person do yoga in front of their tv...(sarcasm)
"He doesn't have time to run..."

I don't see that in his post. Maybe he can't run due to knee injuries? Or because running in his neighborhood is tantamount to suicide... Or he just lives north of South Carolina and finds that running in December is often hampered by snow, rain, or just plain coldness.

No, it's much easier to decide that he's sitting there watching tv, not tending to kids or working long hours...

Returning to the original topic, with a more helpful tone...

Crossfit has a lot of good ideas. Just a plain old jump rope can be really good cardio training, or building some more walking into your day. For example, I used to get a lunch hour -- and had to take it. Eating only took 20 to 30 minutes, so I'd go for a walk for the other half of the meal break, building the mild cardio into my work day. Basic calisthenics (run a web search on "daily dozen exercises" for a starting point) can do a lot, if they're done in a serious manner. So can practicing forms and drills...

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For cardio, I'd recommend jumping rope. Just do it ten minutes here and ten minutes there. Jumping rope has really helped me with my endurance in sparring. It's best to find a surface with some give or you can trash your knees.

It's great you're doing the pushups. Also, be sure to do hundreds of crunches and some leg raises for core strength.

For your test, make sure you know your forms/hyungs/katas very well. Practice, practice, practice everything and visualize before going to sleep at night. You may be asked to do combinations in your test such as a low block, then a middle punch while stepping forward.

Good luck. I'm sure you both will do fine.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As others have said, CONGRATULATIONS! You are going to love this journey!

About your test:
1. Your instructor would not have invited you to test if he didn't feel confident that you were ready to pass.
2. There will be absolutely nothing on the test that you don't cover in a regular training/class session.
3. If you can, get the list of what you'll be tested on, and go over it (help your son practice, too).
4. If you make a mistake on test day - DON'T QUIT. For forms/poomsae, you can usually even ask for permission to start the form over. Just get back up, take a deep breath, and do your best from there on. Everyone will be nervous. Everyone is expected to make some mistakes.

About your endurance:
1. To build your endurance in a short time indoors: Jump Rope. Every morning. 15 Minutes non-stop. You will hate me more than you hate the burpee guy ;) It will give you a great advantage in sparring (which, in TKD tournaments, is all about endurance), but it will get BORING, so switch it around after two weeks with some other exercises.
2. Search for 'tabata' and 'interval'. Tabata squats: do as many full bottom-to-the-floor body-weight squats as fast as you can in 20 seconds. Stop for 10 seconds, then immediately start another 20 seconds of squats. Repeat this pattern (20 seconds squat, 10 seconds breathing, 20 seconds squat, 10 seconds breathing......) for 2 minutes (that's only 4 sets of squatting for 20 seconds). It will be the worst 2 minutes of your life. Work up to be able to do 8 sets (4 minutes, or 8 sets). WARNING: don't try this more than 3 times a week, and don't do it before a class or any other activity where you need something other than limp spaghetti for legs.
3. Run. Yes, I hate it, too, but it's good for you. Excellent website called ' coolrunning.com ' has a plan called "Couch to 5 K" for beginner runners.

Best wishes, and please let us know how it goes!

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Your endurance is not going to happen overnight, it will take time but you will get there. We all wish we could last a little bit longer but, then again, having less endurance is a good incentive to get a knockout.

Have fun at the test, don't grin like an idiot but show that you are enjoying yourself. The test will go much better if it looks like you are enjoying yourself. Learn what you need to know and then do it when the time comes. Will you be nervous? Of course you will, everyone is. The trick is to still perform even when you are nervous. Smile at the judges, do your breaking, smile at them again and then sit down. You do not have to be perfect, nobody is, the trick is to keep going even when you make a mistake. If you make a really big one, acknowledge it and start again, do not try to hide it. If you have to try 2 or 3 times to break the board do not get discouraged, do not look disappointed, just get up and try again as if it was the first time.

You will look back on this test and wonder what all the fuss was about.

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think that the cardio will come for you in time. It's still a relatively new experience for you. I would think it would be good to do something fun that might build up the cardio, if you think you need more.

At your age you can overdo it and have some kind of nagging or chronic injury that stops everything for a while. I am not trying to discourage you, just hoping you would break into something else a little at a time before pulling out all the stops.

Try hard and listen to your instructor. Be sure to pay attention to fundamentals like stance and focus when doing your forms. Right now they may seem easy but later on, you will be going further and the basics should not be an issue.

I like to see my students doing the forms, self defense up to their physical level before moving them up. That way I know they will retain everything and become a better instructor one day.

Good luck at the grading

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the info and support guys.

I'll post back here after testing to let you know how we did.

I'll start with the burpees and see where that goes. I figure that should help with speed, endurance and strength.

Great website!

Kevin

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Reverse psychology?? :lol2:

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As others have said, CONGRATULATIONS! You are going to love this journey!

About your test:
1. Your instructor would not have invited you to test if he didn't feel confident that you were ready to pass.
2. There will be absolutely nothing on the test that you don't cover in a regular training/class session.
3. If you can, get the list of what you'll be tested on, and go over it (help your son practice, too).
4. If you make a mistake on test day - DON'T QUIT. For forms/poomsae, you can usually even ask for permission to start the form over. Just get back up, take a deep breath, and do your best from there on. Everyone will be nervous. Everyone is expected to make some mistakes.

About your endurance:
1. To build your endurance in a short time indoors: Jump Rope. Every morning. 15 Minutes non-stop. You will hate me more than you hate the burpee guy ;) It will give you a great advantage in sparring (which, in TKD tournaments, is all about endurance), but it will get BORING, so switch it around after two weeks with some other exercises.
2. Search for 'tabata' and 'interval'. Tabata squats: do as many full bottom-to-the-floor body-weight squats as fast as you can in 20 seconds. Stop for 10 seconds, then immediately start another 20 seconds of squats. Repeat this pattern (20 seconds squat, 10 seconds breathing, 20 seconds squat, 10 seconds breathing......) for 2 minutes (that's only 4 sets of squatting for 20 seconds). It will be the worst 2 minutes of your life. Work up to be able to do 8 sets (4 minutes, or 8 sets). WARNING: don't try this more than 3 times a week, and don't do it before a class or any other activity where you need something other than limp spaghetti for legs.
3. Run. Yes, I hate it, too, but it's good for you. Excellent website called ' coolrunning.com ' has a plan called "Couch to 5 K" for beginner runners.

Best wishes, and please let us know how it goes!

This exercise set is pure evil! Evil I tell you!

Actually, it's a great suggestion...and I would even go so far as to suggest alternating the jumping rope with the burpees to keep things "interesting".

Also, on the testing subject, another great thing to help you learn is to work with your son on the material, as previously stated. You won't necessarily try to teach the material to him, since you are both learning at the same time, but if you work with him on the material, you'll be surprised how much you pick up yourself.

Latest Discussions