To train or not to train.

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I need some advice from the older membership here. I have over 20 years in TKD. I'm 3rd Dan Kukkiwon certified. and I'm 47 years old. My back is shot, my knees are shot. I have arthritis in all the major joints. I've been in so much pain that I haven't seriously practiced in the last 4 years. I've gone from 185lbs to almost 220lbs. I have a very good friend that's also in the arts (TKD) he'sa 5th going for his 6th. My question to you is, he is constantly on me to promote to 4th Dan even though I have told him I'm not ready and I don't think my body can handle it any longer. What should I do? Start back practicing and go into major pain? Just ignore him? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Kik

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm sure you have done this already, but have you seen a doctor about your chronic pain? If so what has he recommended about doing TKD? Perhaps you should look into another martial art such as Taiji. One thing I didn't notice in your post was if YOU wanted to get back into this or not. Do you still have the same passion for it? If so then, again, talk to your doctor. If not then tell your friend thanks but no thanks. Unless he is going to pay for your meds, and bills if something was to happen during your trianing.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say train...but perhaps it's time to look at another art besides TKD? I love TKD...but if your various physical issues are going to lead to a less than satisfactory experience, you won't enjoy it. So train, but maybe is something new...enjoy being a beginner again. :)

Peace,
Erik

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
from the sounds of it, you dont need to think about testing, you need to think about quitting

well, quitting TKD at least.

there are lots of arts out there that are much friendlier to an older body.

Kajukenbo for example

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Train? Heck yes, in TKD.....maybe not so much. As TF and others have pointed out, there are many other arts out there which might not be so hard on the body. I recommend arnis/escrima/kali-it is a great time, fills a void in TKD (i.e. weapons) has some fascinating drills, and is much easier on the joints.

Good luck!

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Train..for your health. Maybe you might want to think about swimming or do tkd techniques in the water.

Also, train on your eating pattern because you stated you have gain some weight. This extra weight will put lots of stress and pressure on your knees, and back, and hence, it hurts you.

So, train physically and mentally. The mental part helps you to start eating properly with good, optimal food.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know the feeling my friend. I can only tell you from my experience (that sounds similar to yours) but you will be the one to have the final say.

There are ways to train with less pain. But you have to approach your training different. We tend to see ourselves in our prime. Remember just going to class and start kicking with no warm ups? Well no more my friend.

The best thing we did in our dojang was to get a couple of recumbent stationary bikes. Nothing warms up the knees and keeps the back straight better. I have to do 30 minutes on the bike every day, regardless of training or teaching. The bike gets the knee joints very warm and loose. The pain is a lot less from just this alone. Also no resistance at all, I have it on the lowest setting and just pedal at a moderate pace just to get the knee fluids going. I have had two knee surgeries so this was strongly suggested by my therapist, works wonders.

Also when you train you must slow down the pace and the intensity. Kicks are done with snap but a lot less power now. This is also the case with forms. When practicing I use the proper snap and stances but less power. This will save the back and joints much pain.

Oh and if the back is a major issue, drop the jumping and jump spinning kicks. If they are required for you test then only do them on the test. No need to practice them every day.

Hope you decide to do it but if not, it is understood why.

If you decide to do it you must work you way back slowly. Leave some testosterone in your pocket and take it one step at a time. The knowledge is there so that is what it is all about now, showing that you have the knowledge and that you can pass it on.

Keep active, keep moving, that is the key.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you take off the 40 lbs? I've got arthritis in the knees (and back), and can attest that one can feel the difference with even a 5 lb loss. If not for MA, then at least to extend the life of the joints for a few more years.

I need some advice from the older membership here. I have over 20 years in TKD. I'm 3rd Dan Kukkiwon certified. and I'm 47 years old. My back is shot, my knees are shot. I have arthritis in all the major joints. I've been in so much pain that I haven't seriously practiced in the last 4 years. I've gone from 185lbs to almost 220lbs. I have a very good friend that's also in the arts (TKD) he'sa 5th going for his 6th. My question to you is, he is constantly on me to promote to 4th Dan even though I have told him I'm not ready and I don't think my body can handle it any longer. What should I do? Start back practicing and go into major pain? Just ignore him? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Kik

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would recommend you seeing a doctor about the back as far as testing if you feel you are not ready than do not. As far as training goes when I gained alot of wieght TKD became hard as hell, when I started loosing the wieght it became getter, the more I lost the better it is getting, gaining so much wieght when you are older is hard enough to deal with and add TKD with it and the body hurts forever. Loose the wieght, try a few other arts and continue with what you can for TKD.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, you gotta do something, as an old German proverb says: You rest, you rust.

TKD or Tai Chi, does not matter much. My Mom, 68 now, has not worked out in 4 years, life just got in the way. Now she is facing hip replacement and is suffering crippling back pains, from lack of muscle tone. If I am not mistaken arthritis is also slowed in progression by movement. BTW there are several styles of TKD out, many are pretty gentle on the body.

But I have to echo those who say hit the gym (or pool).

Oh, and testing is the least of your worries.

bekkilyn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You would want to check with your doctor, but lifting weights may be of help. If you can build up the muscles around your joints, it can take pressure off of them. It may also help build up more of your fitness for TKD if you decide to return. In any case, you definitely want to do *something* and not just allow your body to degenerate.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello Kik, I'm 41 and returned TKD on may 2007, the comeback was not easy, I'm a 260 punds 6 feet tall guy, yes my feet hurt sometimes more in the haevy days were we do a lot of foot work.

My advise to you is to retake training if you take TKD star slowly like a beginer, yes I know it's easy to say it but hard to adhere, our brain tells us we can do it, but our body does not.

Yes, I will never kick so high or so quick, even I cxan not jump/spin talking about kicks, that's why I'm taking Kenpo Karate lessons and still train TKD.

If your body says no to TKD Kajukenbo or kenpo or another MA can do it for you.

Manny

OP
K

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for the information you have given me. I think I'll look into Kajukenbo or kenpo. I looked for schools for kenpo in my area before but didn't find anything. If anyone knows of any I would be more than happy to check them out. I live in Elgin IL. The closest one I found before were all the way in chicago. That's about a 50 mile drive for me. Anything closer would be a godsend.
Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.
Kik

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for the information you have given me. I think I'll look into Kajukenbo or kenpo. I looked for schools for kenpo in my area before but didn't find anything. If anyone knows of any I would be more than happy to check them out. I live in Elgin IL. The closest one I found before were all the way in chicago. That's about a 50 mile drive for me. Anything closer would be a godsend.
Kik

I grew up Elgin. Where have you trained previously? I originally trained under Yun Kil Kim in Carpentersville in the early 80's. When he moved away in 1986, KKW schools were few in that area. I know it's different now.

I wish I could help you, but my knowledge of schools in 7 years old...a lifetime for MA schools.

OP
K

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I grew up Elgin. Where have you trained previously? I originally trained under Yun Kil Kim in Carpentersville in the early 80's. When he moved away in 1986, KKW schools were few in that area. I know it's different now.

I wish I could help you, but my knowledge of schools in 7 years old...a lifetime for MA schools.

I studied und Master Duk Gun Kwon out of Franklin Park IL, for many years. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life as he taught me old school as opposed to some of the newer ways of teaching today. I left his school in 95' to look for other forms of art to add to what I had learned. I started in a little school in Elgin Called Heniese TKD. Brett Heniese was the owner. He was taught by master Kim of Kims black belt academy. Master Heniese also had been with the Gracie's and a few others that I can't recall but he was black belted and certified in about 5 different arts. He and I hit it off pretty good and we trained together almost everyday. We complimented each other TKD and he taught me how to grapple, judo, kick box and to literally combine it all together to be street valuable. It's what is now known as MMA. and cage fighting, but we never used it in the manner of fighting in a cage. We used it for what it was intended for, "Self Defense". I'm not knocking anyone that has trained to fight in cages. I just don't believe it should be used for that purpose. Anyway, after 20+ years, (closer to 30) Of hard training and almost 20 years of working concrete and industrial maint. I need something a little easier for my body, But the main schools around Elgin are either TKD or some other type that teach hard core MMA. Like I stated in an earlier post, if anyone knows of other schools in my area Elgin IL) that teach a lighter type of an art, I'm all ears.
Thanks again.
Kik

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kik
I'm from Aurora, Illinois. I know of a good Kempo school in Downers Grove and a good Shorei-ryu school in Naperville. ;-)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Kik
Others have addressed the pain issues better than I can, so I will refer you back to those posts.

Regarding promotion, unless you have a need to sign off on dan certs, you do not really need to advance in rank.

If fourth is a lifelong goal, then it may be worthwhile to try.

Daniel

Latest Discussions