Single punch board break

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

A quick question:

I train WTF Taekwondo (Chang Moo Kwan), and am currently a 7th geup (yellow belt green stripe).

We have an Inter-Academy Championship this weekend, and I'd like to break a doubled up board (two boards) with a single punch.

I'm am 31, 6'0", 220lbs. Good physical condition, (could use to lose 20lbs, working on it), strong build.

I've broken single boards with a single punch no problem in the past, will I have trouble with the doubled up board?
I've seen double up boards spaced with pencils, should I space them, or just stack them up?
I feel my knuckles are tough enough to take the abuse, but I've never tried this break before.

Any thoughts/advice? I'd really like to perform this break, as there are very few hand strike breaks at our competitions, and I feel it would help me stand out and hopefully place well in the breaking competition.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT - I know that a lot of this will depend on my holders, so I'll do my best to select experienced, strong holders.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
As long as you are focused, fist tight, hitting with the proper knuckles in the middle of the baord as fast as you can...should be no problem. I'm of a smilar build to you and have had no problems with that break.

In fact, i'm doing 2 boards with a 3-inch punch as part of my next test without much difficulty. A full punch is that much easier.

rememebr to stay focused, punch fast, keep that fist tight.

Peace,
Erik

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As long as you are focused, fist tight, hitting with the proper knuckles in the middle of the baord as fast as you can...should be no problem. I'm of a smilar build to you and have had no problems with that break.

In fact, i'm doing 2 boards with a 3-inch punch as part of my next test without much difficulty. A full punch is that much easier.

rememebr to stay focused, punch fast, keep that fist tight.

Peace,
Erik

Wow, that sounds impressive!

Thanks for the input Erik. I'm glad you think I can do it.
I was thinking about it on the way in to work this morning, and I've been getting pumped up about it all morning, and the competition is still 2 days away!

I always punch with the first two knuckles, and I'll make sure to hit the middle of the board and stay focused.

Thanks again Erik.

If anyone else has any recommendations I'll gladly take them.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I perform single punch board breaking with 1 inch thick borad without problems, I have never use two of them (2 inches thick) stacked but will try it. I think with proper breathing and preparation, a good fist and with speed and using all the mass of my body I can do it.

Manny

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pease of cake. You will have no problems. Just do what Erik said and you will be fine.

Good luck and hope you do well.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I always tried to "test" the break a couple of weeks before ever showing or demoing the break.

I would not recommend the spacers as I think you could with practice and technique do it with out.

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

I will practice tonite and tomorrow, and give it my all on Saturday.

I'll report back next week and post a youtube video if I manage to get it on tape (whether I succeed or not).

Thank you again!

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I rocked it! :boing2:

I was so fired up it felt like I was breaking one board.

My instructors were impressed and want me to break 3 with a single punch to show the younger students what is possible if you put your mind to it.

I'm super stoked!

Thanks guys.

I'll get it up on youtube as soon as my Dad emails me the footage.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Way togo, 0425. I am happy to hear about your success. You have a great energy that comes through in your posts. I am inspired by it.

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Way togo, 0425. I am happy to hear about your success. You have a great energy that comes through in your posts. I am inspired by it.

Thank you!

Here is the video.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on a nice break! You look like your momentum was bringing you forward off of your back leg. That leg is going to be very important for more challenging breaks so be careful!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice job! I especially liked how you just set it up and went (no distance gaging, adjusting, etc). Congrats on getting through the mental aspect of it more than anything!

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nice job! I especially liked how you just set it up and went (no distance gaging, adjusting, etc). Congrats on getting through the mental aspect of it more than anything!
Thank you for the comments.
I did line it up, but I guess my Dad didn't start recording until I was about to break.

Congratulations on a nice break! You look like your momentum was bringing you forward off of your back leg. That leg is going to be very important for more challenging breaks so be careful!
Thank you.
Was my technique incorrect? Should I not have used my forward momentum to assist with the break?
Any advice you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks again!

The break felt really good, and was not difficult at all. If you watch the video again, watch the younger black belt holding (closer to the camera). I think he was surprised. :D

Thanks again for all input (& support) given guys, MUCH appreciated!

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
The video looked good. The main thing about technique is to go through the boards. A lot of people hear the word, "fast," and then withdraw the punch before its fullest impact.

You asked earlier about spacers. I don't know that spaces provide any advantage or disadvantage in a two-board break. Without spacers you're looking to bread the first board, which causes subsequent boards to break. With spacers (eg when striking a pile downward) that first board gives you a little help, but you need to break that last board.

My favourite break is elbow -- I've broken five boards unspaced. Once when I first tried to break two, the first board did not snap, but the second one separated along the grain, so I was able to pull it apart with just a couple of fingers. I call that my Dim Mak story.

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The video looked good. The main thing about technique is to go through the boards.

Thanks!

That's what my instructor teaches us as well. When judging distance, I tried to line it up so that my fist would be about 3" past the back board with my arm fully extended. I guess it worked!

Can't wait to try 3 boards. :D

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was great. Now it is time for 4 boards.
icon10.gif

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the comments.
I did line it up, but I guess my Dad didn't start recording until I was about to break.

Thank you.
Was my technique incorrect? Should I not have used my forward momentum to assist with the break?
Any advice you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks again!

The break felt really good, and was not difficult at all. If you watch the video again, watch the younger black belt holding (closer to the camera). I think he was surprised. :D

Thanks again for all input (& support) given guys, MUCH appreciated!

No matter what your style or what the technique (throwing, striking,or kicking) power is like a three-legged stool. You need all three legs to make it work. The first is 1) Body Weight in motion:* ie- momentum. So you didn`t do anything wrong. the other two legs are proper distance, and proper body alignment.

* The 3 basic ways to move your body are straight line(Forward, back, side to side, etc) +, Vertically up or down ( using gravity or driving up with your legs), and rotating around your center (hip rotation.) Lots of techniques combine more than one basic, but there are only 3 basic way you can move.

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No matter what your style or what the technique (throwing, striking,or kicking) power is like a three-legged stool. You need all three legs to make it work. The first is 1) Body Weight in motion:* ie- momentum. So you didn`t do anything wrong. the other two legs are proper distance, and proper body alignment.

* The 3 basic ways to move your body are straight line(Forward, back, side to side, etc) +, Vertically up or down ( using gravity or driving up with your legs), and rotating around your center (hip rotation.) Lots of techniques combine more than one basic, but there are only 3 basic way you can move.

That is an awesome explanation. Thanks for taking the time to spell that out so clearly. Much appreciated.

Latest Discussions