Thrown a curve

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, I was supposed to be testing for my Black Belt on May 26th (three weeks from now)
On Tuesdays, there aren't any scheduled classes, just open mat time, informal time to work out with whoever else shows up.
Last night, just as I was about to leave, to drive one of the Black Belts home, my sifu looked at me and said:"Big Don, three weeks, isn't going to change a whole lot, I'm going to test you Friday."
OH HOLY CRAP
STRESS! My stomach has hurt all day.
The stress trip is part of the experience. If he didn't think you were ready we wouldn't be having this discussion.
sean

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good luck with the test! I was given 6mo (and so that is my practice) notice for my black belt test. But, I suppose 5 1/4 months into it, I'd be as prepared as I would be on the test date. Has the sifu ever done this with anyone else? (trying to get an idea if there is a pattern here.....)
There was the one Green Belt who was helping out with the Brown Belts who were testing, after the entire test was over, he pulled her belt out of his GI.
SURPRISE!

Thanks everyone! I will, however, continue to stress... It's what I do

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
What a tremendous honor and compliment from your instructor. I'm sure you will do well, sir. Best wishes.

Joel

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was the one Green Belt who was helping out with the Brown Belts who were testing, after the entire test was over, he pulled her belt out of his GI.
SURPRISE!

Thanks everyone! I will, however, continue to stress... It's what I do

My old JJ sensei used to drop the bomb without notice if he thought you were up to it. My last exam under him was like that. I strolled into the dojo that day, finding many black belts from our sister dojos inside. And I thought to myself that it was odd, but didn't think further than that. Then after bowing in, he said 'Ok, Bruno, check test'.

I suppose the benefit was that I had no stress in advance :)

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My old JJ sensei used to drop the bomb without notice if he thought you were up to it. My last exam under him was like that. I strolled into the dojo that day, finding many black belts from our sister dojos inside. And I thought to myself that it was odd, but didn't think further than that. Then after bowing in, he said 'Ok, Bruno, check test'.

I suppose the benefit was that I had no stress in advance :)
That's a pretty big benefit

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is that how we're measuring stress, by the bucket? Because it felt more like a truck...

Use the the Bucket from a front loader to load the bucket of the dump truck.

Relax.

Breath.

If you were to test then you should have been ready before the test.

Spot testing and surprise testing are examples who ways to test people and how they handle stress or react in stressfull situations.

Good Luck.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, although, you couldn't tell that by looking at the marks on my face... pictures to follow...

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Face1.jpg

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I take it this means you're a BB now?
Congratulations Don. Well done!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good news! Enjoy the rest of the journey now that first big step is taken :bows:

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, although, you couldn't tell that by looking at the marks on my face... pictures to follow...

Congratulations Mr. BB!! What is your next "end" goal in that art? (Having just reached the first "end" goal of making black belt?)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations Mr. BB!! What is your next "end" goal in that art? (Having just reached the first "end" goal of making black belt?)

I can't answer for Don, but in Genbukan, Soke says kyu level students should focus on getting black belt. Black belt students should focus on getting 4th dan and the test for Renshi. After that I don't know.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can't answer for Don, but in Genbukan, Soke says kyu level students should focus on getting black belt. Black belt students should focus on getting 4th dan and the test for Renshi. After that I don't know.

Kinda what I was asking. For me it was 3rd Dan (when I would receive the ability to open my own school (although I waited till much later to do so...)).

Latest Discussions