I don't get it #2

skribs127 148

Grandmaster
In my previous I don't get it thread, I discussed a strange phenomenon with my cardio kickboxing class. That class has since been cancelled, as our BJJ gym has decided we are a BJJ gym and to fully embrace BJJ. That mat and time slot is now used M-W-F for BJJ Fundamentals, and Tu-Th for BJJ Women's Class.

One thing we've been struggling with at our gym has been retention of female adult BJJ students. We've had no problems with girls in the little kids or big kids class. No problems with their moms coming to watch class or take the cardio kickboxing class. But what happens in the adult class is a woman will come in and regularly show up to class Mondays and Thursdays. Another will come in and regularly show up on Tuesdays. Another on Wednesdays and every other Friday. And they end up never getting to train with other women, which I think is what's hurt our retention. Our solution? A women's only class.

In the past few weeks, since we have opened the new BJJ classes (on Mat #2), we've consistently had 4-6 women in the BJJ Fundamentals class every M-W-F...and 2-3 women show up for the Women's Only classes.
 
Cardio kickboxing class is a different consumer market than BJJ. Apples and oranges. The rest is a timing issue where your BJJ days and times for women aren't the best time.
 
Cardio kickboxing class is a different consumer market than BJJ. Apples and oranges. The rest is a timing issue where your BJJ days and times for women aren't the best time.
I would have said apples and Green onion stalks
Not even close in markets or target people.
I am not disagreeing with you.
I am only expressing my opinion that they are even further apart then both being in the fruit family.
 
The cardio kickboxing market at our gym was moms who were just sitting around watching their kids do BJJ. We ran that class on Mat 2 during the kid's BJJ class.

It used to be a pretty well-populated class. However, a lot of those specific kids (whose Mom was doing cardio kickboxing) quit BJJ, and so those Moms left as well.
 
I would have said apples and Green onion stalks
Not even close in markets or target people.
I am not disagreeing with you.
I am only expressing my opinion that they are even further apart then both being in the fruit family.
I agree with you. My default assumption is that Fitness Kickoxing customers don't want Martial arts. They want a fitness class. It's the same concept behind Tae Bo back in the day. And cardio boxing.
Tae bo.

It's not even a good gateway activity for martial arts. I think the only reason they stayed is because I worked everyone hard on Sparring days. The first hour was nothing but footwork, endurance, and strength training.
 
The cardio kickboxing market at our gym was moms who were just sitting around watching their kids do BJJ. We ran that class on Mat 2 during the kid's BJJ class.

It used to be a pretty well-populated class. However, a lot of those specific kids (whose Mom was doing cardio kickboxing) quit BJJ, and so those Moms left as well.
One thing that worked well for me was to offer discounted membership if the parents signed up for Kung Fu. They took classes during the same time their child was in class. It was a family bonding time for them that didn't cost any addition time.
 
I agree with you. My default assumption is that Fitness Kickoxing customers don't want Martial arts. They want a fitness class. It's the same concept behind Tae Bo back in the day. And cardio boxing.
Tae bo.

It's not even a good gateway activity for martial arts. I think the only reason they stayed is because I worked everyone hard on Sparring days. The first hour was nothing but footwork, endurance, and strength training.
While definitely a different skill set, along with MT and Karate, I taught to a large "cardio kickboxing" audience. At the end of each class I would sprinkle in opportunities to hit pads. Many of the participants were instantly hooked ( i think we've all seen that moment when someone connects solidly with a strike) and moved into private personal training or "real" classes. It can definitely be a productive business funnel if approached correctly.
 
Y'all are getting hung up on the cardio kickboxing, which was the last thread, provided for context.

This thread is about the BJJ fundamentals and BJJ women's class, and the fact that more women are taken the fundamentals class than the women's class.
 
Tae-Bo was a nasty workout. It was fun if you were in shape, a little harder if you weren’t.
 

Latest Discussions

Back
Top