Forms Creation

Most sane people don't. But: " Pain is a wonderful instructor - but no one wants to go to his class - "General Choi"
My concern is less with pain and more with CTE.

There's a lot of pain in BJJ, but I keep going back to there because I'm not at risk of long-term problems from that pain.
 
Instagram and Gemini.

I've been teaching martial arts for over a decade. I've taught Taekwondo at two different schools, Hapkido, BJJ, and cardio kickboxing, and I've been a guest coach in the Muay Thai class. I've seen enough good schools and bad schools to get a sense of what's what. I can also tell what parts of the class students connect with and what they don't.

The big metric is: if people are coming in the door, and a good chunk of them stick around, then I'm doing something right. If people don't come in the door, there's a problem with our marketing. If people don't stick around, there's a problem with my teaching.

I'm not really worried about there being a problem with my teaching, though. I remember when I first started teaching TKD, there was one parent that only wanted to bring his kid to class if it was a class I was teaching. All of the coaches/professors in my current school are trying to steal me to help with their classes. More often than not, when we have a new guy in the BJJ class, I'm the one that the Professor will pair with them for their first class. In fact, we recently hired a new Professor to run our main gym (so the owner can float more easily between all of our locations), and right now I'm basically training him on how we run things.

Side note: it's really fun being able to boss around a black belt.

I'm not going into this complacent that I will be good because of my history. I've learned from past mistakes that complacency breeds stagnation and leads to unforced errors. But I am going in with confidence based on the feedback I've received from people throughout my teaching history.
I just know you have been Talking about this for a long time.

S**t or get off the pot.

I say this to motivate, nothing more.
 
I just know you have been Talking about this for a long time.

S**t or get off the pot.

I say this to motivate, nothing more.
Not certain what you disagree with.

You have taught for a few schools in ancillary (at best roles). Never had anything to do with ownership and as far as I know nothing to do with gut business management. The two could not be more different.

This is Not something you can talk your way through or out of. Despite the best of planning, things will happen and mistakes will be made (oftentimes of no fault or your own).

Nike had it right.
 
Not certain what you disagree with.

You have taught for a few schools in ancillary (at best roles). Never had anything to do with ownership and as far as I know nothing to do with gut business management. The two could not be more different.

This is Not something you can talk your way through or out of. Despite the best of planning, things will happen and mistakes will be made (oftentimes of no fault or your own).

Nike had it right.
Even your assessment of facts is wrong. My roles were definitely not ancillary.

If you can't get the facts of my situation right, why should I listen to your opinions on my situation?

Especially when my financial future is on the line. Sorry, I'm not going into bankruptcy because some random person on the internet gave me bad advice.
 
As I'm going through and practicing/refining the forms, there's an additional consideration I came up with:
  • Each form must have a unique set of starting steps.
In the beginner forms, for example, one may start with a different block, a high punch instead of a middle punch, or something to make it distinct from the others. This is less of a concern with the more advanced forms that explore combinations instead of techniques.

The Taegeuk forms do this well. ATA forms I believe also do this. But some of the forms in my old curriculum felt very same-y.

Just something to help distinguish them apart easily for the sake of the practitioner.
 
All of the coaches/professors in my current school are trying to steal me to help with their classes. More often than not, when we have a new guy in the BJJ class, I'm the one that the Professor will pair with them for their first class.
GIGCX7C.gif
 
Wow, folks... Getting hot and personal here. I thought that was limited to rolling in BJJ...
 
I'm not sure where you got the from, but no its not. the term Martial arts comes from the latin Ars Martialis. Ars/artem is latin for skill or craft, Martialis meant in relation to Mars, the Roman god of war.
I don't think he meant it literally in an etymological sense but rather that strategy (heiho) is itself an art, important in MA as a whole.
 
I don't think he meant it literally in an etymological sense but rather that strategy (heiho) is itself an art, important in MA as a whole.
To his point though, the term ā€œartā€ in this context means skill or craft, not artistic/aesthetic/creative expression for its own sake, as some people suggest. I believe that is an important point.

People are free to do what they want with their martial training, of course. If they wish to use it as performance art, that is their choice. But that is not what the common term means.
 
To his point though, the term ā€œartā€ in this context means skill or craft, not artistic/aesthetic/creative expression for its own sake, as some people suggest. I believe that is an important point.

People are free to do what they want with their martial training, of course. If they wish to use it as performance art, that is their choice. But that is not what the common term means.
"Art" need not necessarily be related to functionally useless aesthetics as in performance art. Skill can be defined as doing something well. For example, someone may be skillful in expertly reproducing a musical piece on the piano. IMO this does not really make them a musical artist, just a skillful technician. Only when they can creatively transform the notes and nuance the sound will it rise beyond skill to art. Otherwise, they are simply a robot. The same in MA. In this case, the "art" is fully functional as it improves the technical application of the skill.
 
"Art" need not necessarily be related to functionally useless aesthetics as in performance art. Skill can be defined as doing something well. For example, someone may be skillful in expertly reproducing a musical piece on the piano. IMO this does not really make them a musical artist, just a skillful technician. Only when they can creatively transform the notes and nuance the sound will it rise beyond skill to art. Otherwise, they are simply a robot. The same in MA. In this case, the "art" is fully functional as it improves the technical application of the skill.
To the earlier point, the term ā€œmartial artā€ comes from a root where art means skill or craft. The rest is optional.
 
The same in MA. In this case, the "art" is fully functional as it improves the technical application of the skill.
Definitely maybe. I know of certain moves in a certain form that had a primary symbolic and artistic purpose with function being secondary if it existed at all.
 
Back to original topic.

Will you have written instructions for the form?

If there are written instructions how will you designate the directions(s) each technique is targeted toward? (Clock Dial, Compass points, something else? )

Will they be designed s that you more or less practice right and left sides equally?

Will they be designed so that if done properly they will start and finish on the same spot (More or less)?
 
Back to original topic.

Will you have written instructions for the form?

If there are written instructions how will you designate the directions(s) each technique is targeted toward? (Clock Dial, Compass points, something else? )

Will they be designed s that you more or less practice right and left sides equally?

Will they be designed so that if done properly they will start and finish on the same spot (More or less)?

  1. I'm still playing around with the details. I will definitely have written instructions, and plan to have video instructions as well. I do plan to have an illustrated version, either using pictures (like in the Kukkiwon textbooks) or maybe I'll find an artist on Fiver to do that for me.
  2. I'm thinking compass points. Clock dial is interesting, but I feel I'd waste 8 of the points on the clock. I could go nautical and use port and starboard! I do agree there needs to be something other than "left/right", because that's usually relative direction instead of a fixed direction.
  3. More or less. I'd say half of the forms have their lines repeated (i.e. when moving left/right). The longer lines often will have a technique or combo repeated, but also often will have something unique to one side. (And it's often done on the other side later on).
  4. 100% designed to end on the starting spot. If for nothing else, makes it easy to keep a large class in their zones when practicing forms.
 

  1. I'm thinking compass points. Clock dial is interesting, but I feel I'd waste 8 of the points on the clock. .......
Not really You have 4 easy points between each of the 4 major points North East, North West etc, then you have additional points like North North East, South Southwest etc. , Then you have "Degrees" , with Zero being North and moving around clockwise 360 Degrees, however the clock dial might be more intuitive for most to visualize and use.
 
Not really You have 4 easy points between each of the 4 major points North East, North West etc, then you have additional points like North North East, South Southwest etc. , Then you have "Degrees" , with Zero being North and moving around clockwise 360 Degrees, however the clock dial might be more intuitive for most to visualize and use.
What I mean is this. Most (if not all) of the forms pretty much just use cardinal directions. So North, West, South, and East would be used. I wouldn't use NE, NW, SE, or SW.

If I used a clock, I'd only be using 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00. I wouldn't be using 1:00, 2:00, 4:00, 5:00, 7:00, 8:00, 10:00, or 11:00.

If I were using diagonals, then I'd still most likely use cardinal directions, because the 45-degree angles are covered by NE, NW, SE, and SW; whereas in the clock I'd need to use 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, and 10:30.

Degrees are used in the jump kicks as a rotational distance of travel, using the numbers I memorized as a teenager playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.
 
Back
Top