Ratio of Belts

OP
K

KingofSpades

sparky said:
As an average amongest all arts - what would be the lenght of time in rank between black belt degrees

everybody???

I would say about 4 years

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Korppi76 said:
Just got 3th Black in aikido.
I think I got it quite fast. It only took 13 years.

Heh. I'm guessing you're pretty pleased with yourself nonetheless...congratulations!

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Now, I'm all white belted in karate.

Yep, me too, although in my case it's because in our club we only have two belt colors: white and black :) (and I'm testing for black in about a month from now)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
how can you have an unoffical blue?

I had an "unnofficial blue" in Danzan-ryu jujitsu because the teacher (a nidan) no longer belonged to his association and, therefore, did not register any rank promotions. I also held an unofficial brown belt in Shotokan Karate for similiar reasons. Both circumstances were valid training and, indeed, more valuable than the "official" black I later received.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It took me 18 years to get to IV Dan (about a year ago). Color belts may test (if ready and cleared by their instructor) as often as every 3 months; you have to be a high red belt (1st gup) for a minimum of 6 months before testing to I Dan. After that, the minimum is 1 year for each Dan you are testing for - so, from I Dan to II Dan is at least 2 years, from II Dan to III Dan is at least 3 years, etc. Due to life events (grad school, divorce, etc.) it took me 7 years to move from II Dan to III Dan, but I really didn't mind - I like having tested, but the testing itself makes me crazy!

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OOOH good luck Iceman!!! :D

There does seem to be a whole lot more lower ranks on here than actually post... or is my perception wrong?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The results in this poll are kind of funny to consider: most of the posts seem to be from 2002/2003, so if we assume that most of the voting was done then, when the poll was most active, then—as one of the earlier posters already noted—with normal promotion rates, an awful lot of the people who were beginners half a decade or so ago are going to be dan grades now (assuming that they didn't drop out of the MAs). From another of the early posts it's pretty clear that the biggest numbers were in the `beginner' category. So the poll now represents a kind of time-periscope on the board membership's history in the arts, distorted slightly by the latest entries; it's not clear that from it we can conclude anything about what the current state of things is.

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Without going into detail, I can honestly say that one of my stripes, took longer to earn than it took me to earn my black belt in the first place. :uhohh:

And no I have not taken a break in training since I started back in Jan 1986. I earned my white belt in April of 1986.

Been a student of the arts ever since.

Latest Discussions