three to five years = Advanced
five to seven years = 1st Black
seven to ten years = 2nd Black
ten to thirteen years = 3rd Black
thirteen to sixteen = 4th Black
sixteen to Twenty = 5th or 6th Black
Twenty to twenty-five = 7th or 8th Black
twenty five and up = 9th or 10th Black

Heh well in that case I'm a 10th dan aren't I? :D (NOT!) Seeing how I've been doing MA for longer than I've been caving (which is 33+ years)... This is unrealistic in the sense that each art is different in the ranking system. Even those without rank it may take longer to learn one technique over the other. Not to mention there are those who take sometimes three or five years hiatus between lessons. If by that you meant continually... it will still vary from art to art and thus the chart (above) can't be used as an accurate or even a theoretical model.
chufeng said:
I guess this poll is OK...but why differentiate above third dan???
With the exception of self-promoted folks, and Belt-mill black belts, anyone above third dan should be able to provide you all with plenty of good information...then again, those most likely to respond with lofty rank are exactly those who you should probably be most leary of...

chufeng, while there are those who self-promote, several of the higher ranking belts here, as far as I know above 5th are legit. There are kenpoists here who can verify via linage their dans.

MT has striven to maintain integrity among it's members as far as personal (real-life) ranks. It helps maintain the overall integrity of the forum. I myself have been and probably always will consider myself as a permanent white belt. :asian:

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Going by that chart, I should have been ninth or tenth dan several years ago and here I am a lowly 6th dan. Our assn. has a minimum of 4 years to first dan, 2 additional years to second, 3 years to third, 4 years to 4th, but where we differ from many others is there is a minimum of 6 years for each dan above 4th. Also, we have very high testing standards for each master-level degree exam rather than an auto-promotion or token test.

Stategirlwv

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been studying Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan since the end of October, I will be testing for my green belt at the end of April. Usually we have to wait 3 months before testing again, however because I took to it rather quickly I tested for my yellow belt after only 3 weeks. But now I am on track for testing every 3 months.

This is my first post!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been studying Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan since the end of October, I will be testing for my green belt at the end of April. Usually we have to wait 3 months before testing again, however because I took to it rather quickly I tested for my yellow belt after only 3 weeks. But now I am on track for testing every 3 months.

This is my first post!!

Welcome aboard, Stategirlwv! Glad to have you with us!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Going by that chart, I should have been ninth or tenth dan several years ago and here I am a lowly 6th dan. Our assn. has a minimum of 4 years to first dan, 2 additional years to second, 3 years to third, 4 years to 4th, but where we differ from many others is there is a minimum of 6 years for each dan above 4th. Also, we have very high testing standards for each master-level degree exam rather than an auto-promotion or token test.

Yeah, me too. :shrug:After 25 years, I'm a 3rd Dan. It is what it is & I'm fine with it. I love that chart, tho!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

This is my first post!!

I also wish to welcome you! Happy posting.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
5th Dan Kukkiwon and Chung Do Kwan. Been practicing for 25 years (I turn 40 this year). I'd like to know who the person is that claimed 9th-10th Dan.

Stategirlwv

White Belt
Reaction score
:wavey:
Thanks to everyone who has welcomed me!! I have been "lurking" for a few months reading some of the other posts. And finally just decided to jump in.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
jumping onto the band wagon here today! Mainly because im bored and at work.. trying to find something fun to do while at work... LOL

But as i've heard alot of stories on here... i too like many am a go-dan (5thdan) in American Karate system.

I first started in 86', then earned my shodan in 91'. It was almost 8 yrs later due to a brief break in that system that I finally came back and was awarded nidan- and then in 01 I was awarded sandan, 04 (yondon) and recently in 2006 I was awarded Godan...

But i have several other instructor ranks held in Kali, and FMA

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For the sake of people without styles that rank would it be agreeable that

less that one year = Beginner
one to three years = Intermidiate
three to five years = Advanced
five to seven years = 1st Black
seven to ten years = 2nd Black
ten to thirteen years = 3rd Black
thirteen to sixteen = 4th Black
sixteen to Twenty = 5th or 6th Black
Twenty to twenty-five = 7th or 8th Black
twenty five and up = 9th or 10th Black

45 years so by this chart I would be a 18th dan because of how long. I just do not understand logic like this.

To answer the question I hold two ranks 4th in TKD and a 5th in Karate so what does that mean nothing I still have alot to learn.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
45 years so by this chart I would be a 18th dan because of how long. I just do not understand logic like this.

To answer the question I hold to ranks 4th in TKD and a 5th in Karate so what does that mean nothing I still have alot to learn.

You & me both, sir.

Judging by Sparky's chart, I'd be a 9th or 10th Dan by now. I'll shoot for the 9th. Cuz, I'm a TKD guy & if I were a 10th Dan, that means I'd be dead. Since I'm still able to type, I'll take the 9th Dan.:bangahead:

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You & me both, sir.

Judging by Sparky's chart, I'd be a 9th or 10th Dan by now. I'll shoot for the 9th. Cuz, I'm a TKD guy & if I were a 10th Dan, that means I'd be dead. Since I'm still able to type, I'll take the 9th Dan.:bangahead:

So true so I would be dead and burried for a long time.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
[
These ranks are to be your real life ranks not martial talk ranks
Just thought I should clear that up[/quote]

Good thing!!
I confused with my MT rank...I've gone backwards it seems....
back to purple...maybe I was bad and demoted......

ihraxhunnie

White Belt
Reaction score
yeah i didn't read all 8 pages but i'd also like to know who claimed the 9/10 rank.

out of curiosity, can other styles award a 10th degree before death? Although I've studied karate as a secondary style off and on for about 10 years, I've done all of my reports and history on TKD because that's where i hold my 2nd dan, and I'm sure on the fact that only a few have been officially awarded the rank of 10th dan upon death.

and as for moving up the ranks, is it just my dojang or do others go for two years before 2nd dan, 3 years before 3rd, four years before 4th etc?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yeah i didn't read all 8 pages but i'd also like to know who claimed the 9/10 rank.

out of curiosity, can other styles award a 10th degree before death? Although I've studied karate as a secondary style off and on for about 10 years, I've done all of my reports and history on TKD because that's where i hold my 2nd dan, and I'm sure on the fact that only a few have been officially awarded the rank of 10th dan upon death.

and as for moving up the ranks, is it just my dojang or do others go for two years before 2nd dan, 3 years before 3rd, four years before 4th etc?

Actually at my school the only timeframe is what the KKW states but do not hold me to it because each individual needs there own time to get to the poinf of testing, muts of my students wait at least three year between first and second. and probaly 4-6 yeata between 2 and 3, for myself I waited about 19 years between 3 and 4 th by choice.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually at my school the only timeframe is what the KKW states but do not hold me to it because each individual needs there own time to get to the poinf of testing, muts of my students wait at least three year between first and second. and probaly 4-6 yeata between 2 and 3, for myself I waited about 19 years between 3 and 4 th by choice.

According to the KKW website, it's 1 year wait between 1st & 2nd, 2 year wait between 2nd & 3rd, 3 years between 3rd & 4th Dan, etc.

Latest Discussions