Ratio of Belts

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by SteelShadow
A true master is only a master when he never stops being a student.......

Do you mean that I'm a true master?:rofl: :rofl: I've never stopped being a student. And I guess I'll never stop learning 'til I die, geez...

OP
S

SteelShadow

Originally posted by Kenpomachine
Do you mean that I'm a true master?:rofl: :rofl: I've never stopped being a student. And I guess I'll never stop learning 'til I die, geez...

I dont know are you?
My post was in regard to a person saying that they didnt think any 9th or 10th dans would be hanging around on this board.I was simply saying even alot of high ranking martial artist look for ways to broaden there training, And learn about other styles so it wouldnt be all that surprising for them to be on this forum.....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are definitely some high-ranking and well-respected martial artists here at MartialTalk. Not all of them are in arts thate ven use belts!

OP
K

Kenpomachine

I dont know are you?
My post was in regard to a person saying that they didnt think any 9th or 10th dans would be hanging around on this board.I was simply saying even alot of high ranking martial artist look for ways to broaden there training, And learn about other styles so it wouldnt be all that surprising for them to be on this forum.....

No, I'm not.

But learning is not a privilege of true masters, just of curious people.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Dont be surprised to find some 9th or 10th dans here.
A true master is only a master when he never stops being a student.......

Point taken :asian:

OP
F

fissure

It is also important to note that rank doesn't always indicate experience. I myself have been a 2nd Dan for almost 10 yrs. I have lost interest in paying people to evaluate my ability.

OP
M

Mike Clarke

The problem with linking time training to levels attained is that some folk train a lot more than others in the course of a year.

I was always taught to wait until I was invited to test for promotion, but friends of mine [in other systems] were allowed to apply when they had a certain amount of time under their belt.

If a student of mine asks me for a test, I take that as sign their not ready yet.

Mike.

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Mike Clarke
If a student of mine asks me for a test, I take that as sign their not ready yet.

Mike.

What if they not only don't ask but decline your offer to test?

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mike Clarke
...If a student of mine asks me for a test, I take that as sign their not ready yet....

Why not just let them test and let them pass or fail on their own merit instead of this subjective criteria?

I have a personal bias against subjective criteria. I also don't like the idea of a set waiting time. None of this is merit based. If people are qualified to pass the test, then they should advance.

OP
S

Shinzu

Originally posted by karatekid1975
I have to change my vote, too. I got my blue belt a week and a half ago.

congrats to you karatekid...way to go!! :) :) :)

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cali,

I need to brush up on my Korean .... What did you say? LOL

Anyways, I have to change my vote yet again. I'm in a new school. I donno if they are going to start me at white belt or blue yet (I'm doing a 30 day trial thingy). :)

OP
F

fissure

What Martial Art does your new school offer?

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Cali,

I need to brush up on my Korean .... What did you say? LOL

K-Kid, I don't know much Korean, just the basic commands, but, "Soo Goh Heht Seum Nee Dah" means good job or good training.

By the way, IMHO since you've already been training in TKD you should be able to carry over your gup (blue belt) rank to your new dojang if you'll still be training in TKD. Why would they want to start you at the bottom again if you've already earned your current rank by learning the simple TKD basics... :confused:

OP
S

Shinzu

how's the new school KK? is your man going with you? fill me in im curious, and best of luck!!! :) :) :)

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From what the assistant instructor said, yes I will be keeping my rank, but I haven't heard that from the master instructor yet.

Fissure, my new school is Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan.

Shinzu, I LOVE IT! This new dojang ROCKS. My first class was a mixture of stuff .... kicking drills, forms, and joint locks. My second class was all self defense (including joint locks). This is what I was looking for ..... a self defense dojang! It's perfect. And it's cheap (for tuition that is). I am really happy here.

As far as my man, donno yet. I'll keep you posted ;)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... I LOVE IT! This new dojang ROCKS. My first class was a mixture of stuff .... kicking drills, forms, and joint locks. My second class was all self defense (including joint locks). This is what I was looking for ..... a self defense dojang! It's perfect. And it's cheap (for tuition that is). I am really happy here.

Fantastic, keep it up! Once you find a place you really like makes it a whole lot better.

OP
S

Shinzu

excellent laurie :) :) i am soo happy for you. it makes a world of difference in your skill level also. how did you bypass the other contract if you don't mind me asking?

i had to sign a contract at a kung fu school i was attenting. my work schedule was changed and i was unable to attend class. i spoke with the sifu and we disolved the contract.

Latest Discussions