Ratio of Belts

S

sparky

I would like to see what the ratio of belts held by the people of this forum is. Please use the highest belt you have attained for the poll and vote only once. As for coloured belts the system used by different styles will vary use your own best judgement as to weather or not you fit into Intermediate or Advanced Coloured belts

These ranks are to be your real life ranks not martial talk ranks
Just thought I should clear that up

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Modern Arnis

I do other styles with out belts
Like Submisson Grappling,Wrestling
& others.:D

OP
C

chufeng

I guess this poll is OK...but why differentiate above third dan???
With the exception of self-promoted folks, and Belt-mill black belts, anyone above third dan should be able to provide you all with plenty of good information...then again, those most likely to respond with lofty rank are exactly those who you should probably be most leary of...

:asian:
chufeng

OP
S

sparky

For the sake of people without styles that rank would it be agreeable that

less that one year = Beginner
one to three years = Intermidiate
three to five years = Advanced
five to seven years = 1st Black
seven to ten years = 2nd Black
ten to thirteen years = 3rd Black
thirteen to sixteen = 4th Black
sixteen to Twenty = 5th or 6th Black
Twenty to twenty-five = 7th or 8th Black
twenty five and up = 9th or 10th Black

OP
S

sparky

Originally posted by chufeng

I guess this poll is OK...but why differentiate above third dan???
With the exception of self-promoted folks, and Belt-mill black belts, anyone above third dan should be able to provide you all with plenty of good information...then again, those most likely to respond with lofty rank are exactly those who you should probably be most leary of...

:asian:
chufeng

I don't think I can make changes to the poll once it has been posted.
Since you are not being asked to post your name with your rank I am hoping for unbiased honesty

OP
A

Angus

Sparky, I would say that here in American 25 years might get you somewhere around 5th dan, maybe up to 7th, but not 9th. No way.

Interesting poll, though.

OP
S

sparky

As an average amongest all arts - what would be the lenght of time in rank between black belt degrees

everybody???

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by sparky
As an average amongest all arts - what would be the lenght of time in rank between black belt degrees
everybody???

In some arts it's just the normal 3 working days for your cheque to clear the bank.
:rolleyes:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by sparky

everybody???

I've seen a few websites and associations... say that 3yrs is required between Black Belt Degrees.

I have a list of Kenpo guys and their time and rank, maybe this weekend I'll check it against your list to see how it shakes out, but your list seems to be OK, until you group the Black Belt Ranks together at 5/6 etc. I'd say the formula would alow you to hit 10th in 30years.

It may be that after 5th or 7th there is really more like 5+ years between stripes and that may even depend on how many there already are. :confused:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by JDenz

Good poll

It is interesting that most of the MT guys are beginners. Perhaps not surprising, but interesting to see the poll results.

Good idea. Thanks.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Im doing my Blue belt grading in Kali in December but for now Im just a plain old Green belt.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by cdhall

It is interesting that most of the MT guys are beginners. Perhaps not surprising, but interesting to see the poll results.

Good idea. Thanks.

Most that post in the General MA forum, anyways.

OP
M

meni

Originally posted by GouRonin

In some arts it's just the normal 3 working days for your cheque to clear the bank.
:rolleyes:

sad but true
well said Gou

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In judo you have to beat other black belts of the same rank to get to your next grade. But since the number in each rank thins down the higher you go, you have to wait a while to grade.

Thus it takes a lot longer between grades as you go up.

After 5th Dan they hand out degrees of rank for services to judo, organising competitions and the like, so then you get respect for your dedication to the sport rather than for ability.

OP
M

Master of Blades

I think if there 9 or 10th Dan Black belts then I dont think they would be hanging around with us lowely practicionars.

OP
J

JDenz

Well according to your poll I am a fourth degree blackbelt in American wrestling lol and not a white belt in every art I have studied

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Jdenz & i are training partners
When it comes down to it
It has out shined many of the Black Belts i've met.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sparky wrote:

"As an average amongest all arts - what would be the lenght of time in rank between black belt degrees everybody???"

In TSD, from 1st to 2nd degree it's 2 years: from 2nd to third, it's 3 years: from 3rd to fourth, it's 4 years .... ect. I donno how TKD does it yet. I know there is a age limit on dan ranks, though.

Latest Discussions