Identity Verification?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Problem with a scan is, well, photoshop. That's why we've always insisted on it being notarized then redacted. Not foolproof, but a bit more 'binding' (all mods for example have to send in Non-Disclosure Agreements and have them notarized). Catch is, that's complicated and in some cases expensive, which we want to minimize and simplify.

Then why not scan 2 forms of ID then? Because really, I'm not going to the effort of going out, finding a notary to sign something for a web site. This isn't a job man, it's entertainment.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not sure I see a lot of value in it. On a site like Bullshido, it makes more sense. There people want to get certain tags, like the military tag or a rank tag for their art, or are involved with an investigation, vouching for people and such. Verifying identity makes sense. You don't do either of those things here.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then why not scan 2 forms of ID then? Because really, I'm not going to the effort of going out, finding a notary to sign something for a web site. This isn't a job man, it's entertainment.
Once again -- this is not something we're talking about as a general requirement. And Bob has mentioned at least 4 ways to be verified:
1. Attend a Meet & Greet or similar event where your existence as a living, breathing person can be confirmed.
2. Have 2 known/verified/trusted members vouch for you.
3. Internet ID services
4. Submit a notarized, redacted copy of a government ID.

Staff (above Mentors) & former staff have already been verified as part of the becoming staff.

We currently occasionally require No. 4 from some people, when there are significant concerns about their identity. That would remain an option when appropriate.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
is this for people like us, or the prove your id thing for guests and lurkers who are thinking about joining?

if its for us i could prove who i am. (My name's Jacklyn anyway. and I've bob on my facebook. How do you do.)

Mmm you just want to do what we do, look at ID with photos so you can laugh at them!! We could have a thread with 'guess who's ID this is' it wouldn't violate privacy because no one looks like their ID photo!

Ewwww, id photos look like prison piccies and mug shots ! :barf: no one's gettin their hands on mine lol

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure I see a lot of value in it. On a site like Bullshido, it makes more sense. There people want to get certain tags, like the military tag or a rank tag for their art, or are involved with an investigation, vouching for people and such. Verifying identity makes sense. You don't do either of those things here.
We've discussed adding tags for some things too, once we work out the verification issues.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
is this for people like us, or the prove your id thing for guests and lurkers who are thinking about joining?

if its for us i could prove who i am. (My name's Jacklyn anyway. and I've bob on my facebook. How do you do.)

Ewwww, id photos look like prison piccies and mug shots ! :barf: no one's gettin their hands on mine lol
It's for whoever wants it, in 99% of the cases. We'll continue to insist in a rare case or 2 regardless (probably average 6-8 a year that we require id proof from).
As I said, it's an optional idea we're tossing around.

Another thing I'm hoping to do again next year (this years iffy) is another road trip and meet up with as many folks as I can.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't have to. Show up at one of our M&G's and share a couple of cold refreshing beverages with us and we'll confirm you're at least a real person. Now that's more fun that a notary any day. :)

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, one thing is for certain....

NO ONE IN THIER RIGHT MIND WOULD CLAIM TO BE ME!!!!!!

even I tried to be someone else but the name on my I. D. prevented me from entering the party at the white house..... :erg:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
threestoogesmoe.jpg

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's for whoever wants it, in 99% of the cases. We'll continue to insist in a rare case or 2 regardless (probably average 6-8 a year that we require id proof from).
As I said, it's an optional idea we're tossing around.

Another thing I'm hoping to do again next year (this years iffy) is another road trip and meet up with as many folks as I can.

Coming to Newfoundland one day?

Just sayin.....

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Coming to Newfoundland one day?

Just sayin.....
Possibly. There's a lady in Nova Scotia I've been dying to meet and shoot for a few years, so I might be alot closer.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Possibly. There's a lady in Nova Scotia I've been dying to meet and shoot for a few years, so I might be alot closer.

NS is still forever away from NFLD. It would be cheaper and faster to fly to Europe then to get out to the Island....but then you wouldn't get to meet Blade.....decisions, decisions...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
NS is still forever away from NFLD. It would be cheaper and faster to fly to Europe then to get out to the Island....but then you wouldn't get to meet Blade.....decisions, decisions...

Hope you could stop in NH on the way :D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, here's the solution...

I will volunteer to travel around as needed to confirm that you people are all real and not just sock puppets. I'll just need a small expense account...

It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it...

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd be coordinating some paid gigs to cover expenses and am sure there's a school or 3 in that general direction that could help me cover travel expenses. :)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm still working on getting out your way. Once I get that figured out, I'll work on planning a Canadian Tour. :)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I will volunteer to travel around as needed to confirm that you people are all real and not just sock puppets. I'll just need a small expense account...

I'm still trying to get an expense account for me. LOL! :)

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score

Bawwww! *crys*

Yay! =]

I, a sock puppet! Surely now, you jest. =]

I'm still working on getting out your way. Once I get that figured out, I'll work on planning a Canadian Tour. :)

Yay!

Latest Discussions