10th degree

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
Yepper, If you are looking for a teacher or association, Dennis Conatser would have to be who I would go with now.
Good luck and Keep it Real, -Michael
UKS-Texas

Not title but teachers or Organizations..!!!

:mad:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gotcha, we all gotta have an opinion. I have been around long enough to appreciate everyone's. Not neccessarily agree with them, but appreciate them.

There are several teachers and organizations I would have to consider if I was going to affiliate myself with them, or become their student ... 2 very different things. Since I am increadably loyal (look how long I was with Mr. Duffy - 15 years), even if Tommy was not my teacher (since then), it would be a major decision for me to consider going elsewhere. Money and time are major issues with my job and the school and my students, and my family. I have no desire to hop around and learn a little bit from a lot of teachers, I am in it for the long haul, as you know.

You would certainly be in a very very small group that I would have to consider if I did decide to change teachers. The teacher end of it is more important to me than the organization, obviously. I stayed with Mr. Duffy from the NCKKA to the IKKA, then have only been UKS since then.

However, you do have the coolest patches!! I respect you, and what you have done, both before and after Mr. Parker's death. Not sure if that is what the not-so-smiley face was about or not. But you know how sensitive we lowley 4ths can be ... especially when there is always the threat of the dreaded "Pink Belt" if I don't keep it real.

Call anytime if this is a talk about it kind of issue. If not, then lets not worry about it and continue our growing relationship.

Oos,
-Michael

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was referring to you giving me a plug for teaching and or organizations. I was just kidding by saying you could have just stopped with my name and forgot about all the others........ lol... No I am in no way mad or upset, just teasing you ......... saying that the only name you needed was mine......... LOL....... of course I realize that all the others are wonderful and great ... that's all.

:asian:

B

brianhunter

I dont have the time in the art you guys do.....but hearing you guys talk really makes me apreciate having Sibok Tom Kelly around...I guess I take that for granted too much, i shouldnt!!

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by tonbo

I hope you know I was just kidding about the whole GM/SGM thing. I feel pretty good about saying that you know that, but just in case.....I was kidding..:D

My perspective is very similar. I don't think anyone needs to go out and give themselves any rank, but hey....if they do, then sooner or later, it will catch up with them, and they will be exposed as the fraud they are.

As for the titling of it, I think it is a lot like the inner circles of the intelligentsia: If you ask someone if they are part of the group, and they say, "Yes", then you know they are not. You aren't actually a part of the group unless someone else (who IS in the group) says you are. I know that makes little sense, but I guess you could say it this way, too: You are a GM or SGM when other GMs/SGMs acknowledge you and your contributions, not when you declare yourself one.

Geez....as for goals, I would LOVE to make it to 7th. That is a goal for me as well. I am in my mid-30s, and may just make that goal. For the time being, though, just reaching 2nd will be enough....heck, just having earned BLACK is a great accomplishment for me!

Titles are SO not important, really. I mean, who cares if you call yourself "Bob", "Sensei Bob", or "Senior Grand High Master Lord of All Things Kenpo Bob". What have you *done*?

Regarding titles, I think it is a lot like the saying goes: "Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind".

Me, I just want to be known as a practitioner. I will never get this stuff down to perfection, and I will never be a "master" in my opinion. Always just a student. Let others start new styles or get all the awards--fine with me. I'll just keep on hammering away at the basics until I gotta spar with the Reaper.....:eek:

Peace--
Yes I knew you were kidding. And it is a good topic to play with because there are so many frauds out there. I just wanted to make sure that the seniors also knew i had been playing saying I was going to promote myself. Although Darth Seig does have a nice ring to it........Still trying to get that choke from across the room down.......Blue Lightening form the finger tips is cool too....

R

Rob_Broad

Having no political affiliations can be both daunting and uplifting at the same time. It is hard to figure out what all you should be doing with out the support of others. On the other side of the coin there are less hoops to jump through.

I myself am leaning towards the IKKO for my few students, but I will wait til they are ready to commit to joining an organization before going any farther.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good decision to go with the IKKO.

Meanwhile ... oh, yeah! Yank my chain will you Dennis ... got me again!!!! You know I want to say Bite Me, but I am way too respectful for that.

Later,
-Michael

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh Michael you crack me up. roflmao........ well, I can't say too much to you anymore since you are way to big and strong for me to deal with anymore...... but there was a day when I was younger..... ah the memories...

K

Kirk

I think this is still within the scope of this thread ...

How much difference in skill level do y'all expect within
the different levels of black? I know there's a whole
bunch of factors that apply, but generally speaking,
would it be expected that a 2nd have more skill than
a 1st? Or a 5th over a 4th?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
After 4th Degree Black and depending upon age..... I don't think "Skill" is the correct term as much as knowledge and ability to transmit it to future generations is.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

After 4th Degree Black and depending upon age..... I don't think "Skill" is the correct term as much as knowledge and ability to transmit it to future generations is.

Would you (or anyone for that matter) advise those who don't
strive or anything beyond first black to keep going? I know
some TKD'ers that are 2nd black, and they just love to teach.
I even asked "why so long at 2nd?" and his reply that anything
above 1st was just about a "pissing match" (TX TKD'er :D ) and
that he just wanted to focus on teaching, and improving his
own skills.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
Would you advise those who don't strive or anything beyond first black to keep going?

Of course....... But that is your instructors job....... let him/her promote you when they feel you deserve it....... not when you "strive" for it.

All your life you should "strive" to be the best you can be and to constantly learn no matter what age or rank. Let your instructor "reward" you if and when you are deserving.... in the meantime....

GET BACK TO WORK!!

:rofl: :asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Therein lies the problem. My instructor seems to be more interested in how much coinage I can put on his doorstep than how well I am teaching or what I am learning.:( I don't begrudge the man money, but I am finding it difficult to reward someone for doing nothing other than having something I want. I will not "Buy" my belt. I asked him what he wanted from me to help me reach my next level and I got ambiguous replies. When I agreed that i would meet them, as long as certain things were clarified, I received no answer at all, it's been over a month.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started by writing about the money because I am outraged what people get for their money some places, and they don't even know what they are not getting. Then I remembered why I was posting and had to insert this.

For me, there is a qualitative change in the way you move between 1st Black and 3rd Black. Yes, there is material and the ability to share this, but for me it is about that relaxed whipping, explosive Kenpo that made Mr. Parker so unique. Tom Kelly, Bob Liles, Dennis Conatser, Howard Silva, Frank Trejo, Tommy Burks, Bryan Hawkins, Dian Tanaka, Barbara Hale, etc., etc., etc. move explosively, without effort and it is sooooooo impressive. Yes, I can sorta emulate this a little now, but there is a very clear line that is crossed in watching my 2nd Blacks develop. They cannot test for 3rd until I am satisfied with HOW they move. What they know can always be worked on, but that shift to relaxed power is what I look for.

You know, it ain't about the money for me ... but I have to keep the doors open so I have people to train with. I think it is abhorant the way TKD charges for the test $45, then the Belt $10, then the certificate $15, for a grand total of $70 bucks per test, and that is not for an advanced rank.

I have a mom in class whose son does TKD and that is what she pays. She was plesantly suprised by my prices, but then I am a private club, with only 30 or so members, and not open but 3 days a week. Nationwide, Austin's rates are in the middle range, not like California $100+/month, but we are more than $35/mo. I charge $70 - $85 per month. Testing is $20 - $30 buck per belt until Brown, then I gig you for a whopping $75.

Depending on who is on the Board, whether you test at camp, or I have to bring someone in, Black testing varies, with the minimum being about $175, of which the majority goes to my association.

Just some rambling thoughts,
-Michael

K

Kirk

My instructor charges $20, period. Rank isn't an issue.
We get our new belt, a NICE certificate, and a packet containing
all you're required to know for the next belt. Not only do I not
begrudge my instructor making money, I think he's probably not
making enough for his time, on test days.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You get to black belt and don't really care about getting to the next rank, but want to continue to learn the material? Is this a bad thing? Should you continue to have to test just to learn new material? Just some random thoughts about ranking.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, after your 1st Black Belt..... that is not the end of the world.... it is not the end all to learning.... it is not the free ticket to do as you please and run around hog wild and learn what ever you want to with out guidence. 1st Degree Black (as it was "ideally" designed was just that of recgonition as a teacher and a beginner at that. Not until 3rd Degree are you considered a "Head Instructor" which at this point (by original design) you then should get a freeer reign to "Break out". Even then, there is much to learn and we all need mentors and someone to answer to. We already are experiencing what the effects of what happens when Black Belts run wild with out controls....... LOL

R

Ronin

Most of them that run wild dont have enough solid foundation put in their two cents. ive know guys with 2 year black belts that run around bragging how they are masters of their styles

Latest Discussions