10th degree

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
He was promoted to 8th by JT will. He was promoted to 9th by SGM Rex Lee(Nisei and a bunch of other stuff), which was confirmed by International Sokiship Council. He was promoted to 10th by a board of other 9ths and 10ths throughtout the state of Florida after SGM Lee's passing (Cancer). They had to really fight with him to get him to accept 10th, it took them over a year.

M

meni

Originally posted by Klondike93

I was talking to a kenpo instructor about rank one day, and was told the following.
Mr Parker was known as GM holding 10th degree and there would be no other 10th as that was his title and rank as founder of the system.
When he died, others in the system wanted to be promoted to 10th but couldn't because he held the rank. Thus SGM was created to elevate Mr. Parker above all others and yet let them be 10th degrees now. Don't know if it's true or not but it kind of makes sense. Till they made him SGM no high ranking black belt wanted to be a 10th.

:asian:

yes that is the way i understand too it seem logical.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ed Parker was the Founder of HIS art which he termed...... Ed Parker's American Kenpo. AS such he developed the rank system as such. He even forecast that there will be other 10th degrees (he was not into rank but knowledge and what you did with it).

Prior to his death.... students that left promoted themselves thru various means and after his death it was no different. There were in fact those that wanted a 10th Degree and those individuals got what they wanted but not because Mr. Parker was elevated to SGM. That term came about "AFTER" others took those high ranking belts so as to be sure and position Him at the Pinnacle of HIS Art ~ which is where he should be. Ed Parker is the Founder of the System and no one will ever take that position and he will be the only SGM of HIS system as well.

Others can be founders of their own organizations but can lay no claim to Ed Parkers American Kenpo System. Every Kenpo Organization out there is in reality a spin off of what is called an "Ed Parker Kenpo System".

No one will ever replace Ed Parker (although some have visions of Grandeur). Many are rearranging the movements, renaming techniques, re-doing forms etc., but NONE have developed anything new other than terminology that he didn't have already outlined in his Journals and Notes.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a note. Mr. Parker used the title "Senior Grand Master" years before he passed away. People used it when talking about him, and he was introduced to audiences at events such as the "Long Beach internationals" as "Senior Grand Master".

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I stand corrected........ you are right, the term was used by some at that time (although not demanded by the man himself).

What I was referring to was that "After" he passed we used the term more regularly and put in Stone because NOW it really had meaning due to what was happening with some in his association.

where is Gary ... btw?
:confused:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool with me Fellow Kenpo Bubbas! <- Trying out new titles for the rest of us!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dan "Just call me Kenpo Bubba" Farmer

K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by Seig

Kenpo-The art of adding insult to injury...

Seig. Just wanted to say, I love that saying. An absolutely perfect definition of Kenpo.

Bravo!!! :rofl:

Mind if I use it on my site the next time I update it?

dot

S

Sandor

My favorite has always been;

'Kenpo, you only hurt the one's you love' :asian:

Peace,
Sandor

K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by Sandor

My favorite has always been;

'Kenpo, you only hurt the one's you love' :asian:

LOL yes another perfect one.

But the other one is true to fact. Kenpo people don't just stop their attacker. They stop them and then stomp them into the ground a bit more.

ie ..... Not over Kill .... Over Skill!!! :D

dot

T

tonbo

Kenpo people don't just stop their attacker. They stop them and then stomp them into the ground a bit more.

No doubt!! This was explained to me by one of my instructors as follows:

"People who attack you are actually just trying to share with you. They are sharing their desire to help you get better. We, as Kenpo practitioners, believe in sharing back. And since they wanted to share *so* much, we should help them out".

*sniff* Man, brings a tear to my eye. All that giving....:D

I mean, really.....if someone is going to go to the trouble of helping me train, shouldn't I give them all I can??

:D

Peace--

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I treat an attacker as a student. When they err in judgement and attack me, I feel I must not only show them the error of their ways, but also, the flaws in their attack. Once this has been done, the lesson continues by me teaching them the consequence of not having a logical, well thought out plan of attack.

S

Sandor

Originally posted by tonbo

No doubt!! This was explained to me by one of my instructors as follows:

"People who attack you are actually just trying to share with you. They are sharing their desire to help you get better. We, as Kenpo practitioners, believe in sharing back. And since they wanted to share *so* much, we should help them out".

*sniff* Man, brings a tear to my eye. All that giving....:D

I mean, really.....if someone is going to go to the trouble of helping me train, shouldn't I give them all I can??

:D

Peace--

Well, I have always been of the belief that it is better to give than to receive. :p

Peace,
Sandor

Latest Discussions