Kenpo Rank

R

Rainman

Originally posted by cdhall

Quickly I'll add that some traditional Goju/Karate friends of mine and even Chinese Kung-Fu resources have said, roughly, that you are ranked up to 4th Black based on your proficiency and knowledge of the system (Mr. Parker had his charts stop at 3rd coincidentally). After this, Promotion Boards commonly elevate you further based on your contributions to the art. But in most all cases you are "elevated" by boards consisting of your seniors, so how does that system maintain itself?

They stopped at 5th- Knife set. There is a curriculum for the club and knife, the forms are just the beginning.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sorry sir, this is not working very well for me. I am not trying to irritate you or be disrespectful of your time or expertise, but the previous 2 sentences add to the point as follows:

"With conceptual logic learned at the correct level of student maturity, self-correction, because of properly learned concepts, becomes automatic. A student can then logically rule out any contradictory concepts that conflict with his or her advance training. At this level, an instructor is not needed to alter the concepts, but rather only needed to add newer concepts not yet learned."

I took that as one train of thought.
:asian:

LOL...... I know you are not..... If I didn't know you and your instructor personally I wouldn't be so hard on you either...... :rofl:

Ok Ok....... I'll give you one flight feather for your post and research. I still feel that your instructor always has an important place in your life...... but the older and wiser you get (just as in life parents allow more and more freedom - but remain in the picture as a consultants)

Always remember Instructors.............

You need to give your students "2" Important Things.........
Roots ... and ... Wings.

C

C.E.Jackson

Originally posted by GouRonin

I know, I'm just letting my sarcasm out. I love EPAK and the way people are treating it lately, well, it just kills me. if we could just remove the politics I am sure it'd get rid of the crap that it's brought and stop the art from being made into the next TKD.

By the way, I have seen Huk in his undies and yes he can kick butt no matter what he's wearing. Of course at the time I think I was wearing my underwear on my head with my sunglasses on and we were drinking Canadian Whiskey.

Gou? Sarcastic?! I'd not noticed!!!:rofl:

CJ

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guys,

Whew!!! MR. C ... Double whew. Call each other guys, your fingers won't get as tired.

No seriously, a good "discussion" that I benefited from. I like the perspective you have Dennis, and the role the "Teacher" has.

Doug, just cause you go to a camp and don't know all the techniques the other Brown Belts do, does not mean they are "better" than you (If that in fact is a cause of your distress.) You have the same time in grade, if not a million years more. The quality of your movement according to Concepts, Principles, and Theories, combined with "DO YA MAKE IT WORK" in a Black Belt technique line, should give you some affirmation regarding where you stand in EPAC. Mr. Duffy has never "given" a promotion lightly. You always earn what you get ... or ya don't get it!!!! He is one of the ones that would actually fail you or not let you test. Keep it Real Doug.

-Michael Billings
UKS-Texas

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hell, I don't know what CD (thats what we need to call him since there are many Doug's here) is complaining about...... Everybody knows more techniques than I do.......... LOL..... It's not the number of techniques you know but the way you apply the pain.
(that's a GD7 original) :mad:

But just let me "bite" you......... hee heee

The IronWorker cometh..........

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who was talking about Mr. Pick? Oh, you mean Sigung LaBounty? Just foolin'. You have forgotten more techniques than I have learned, and we came through similar systems, I was just a late bloomer.

I can get with calling Doug "CD". Crashed Down, Crazy Dude, Computer Don, etc. He can run, but he can't hide. By the way, won't you be on his panel at Mr. Duffy's camp? Hee-hee-hee (with sardonic malice and delight)

-Michael
UKS-Texas

R

Rob_Broad

Rank is only as important as WE make it. I still have my original Black Belt, and it has been with me through all the lumps. It will finally be repalced when I have an instructor that thinks I am worthy of a new rank.

I have been seeing too many people bogged down with the quantity of what they know not the quality. I personally feel this should be corrected.

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings

By the way, won't you be on his panel at Mr. Duffy's camp? Hee-hee-hee (with sardonic malice and delight)

-Michael
UKS-Texas

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

I will be.......

:wavey:

Ahem.

I think I'll also have to spar Mr. C on any test I have at camp. :eek:

One of Mr. Duffy's black belts had to spar Mr. C on his Black Belt test and says that Mr. C was imperceptably fast. Fortunately I think I have until Oct 2003 to get ready for this.:uhohh:

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

Start wearing wrist weights and ankle weights while you train!

I think that might be extra bad for the joints. I used to have some ankle weights but a lot of press came out about how they and wrist weights both stress your joints and how a Weight Vest is better.

However, I have done Short 3 with 5lb dumbells and this is a pretty cool workout. A friend of mine tells me that he also does Striking Set every night with 5lb dumbells as therapy for his rotator cuff. So I may be onto something. This seems like it might be a better alternative. For the first few weeks of my going back to the gym, I'm going to concentrate on Leg exercises before adding upper body routines. I need to drop some weight right now, so working the legs will be the best way to start I think.

Also, I may have posted this elsewhere, but Mr. Duffy ran us through Every Set and Form one night from Yellow to Brown! MAN, I don't remember how long it took (well over 30mins) but it was surely better than TaeBo or any other Cardio Program! We did not stop. I think it lasted about 45mins, but it may have been longer.

I plan to start that as well as part of my review. Maybe not Everything, but 30mins worth. Maybe Sets in the AM and Forms in the PM. Just a thought. Thank you.

G

GouRonin

I think that might be extra bad for the joints. I used to have some ankle weights but a lot of press came out about how they and wrist weights both stress your joints and how a Weight Vest is better.

Holy moly! I agree with CD Hall! The end must be near!

Weight vests are great and better than ankle weights. My boxing coach preferred his fighters use the weight vests. His only exception was during excercises that will cause the person to bounce arobically etc. That puts too much unnatural strain on the legs, Knees and ankles etc. If you are overweight now think of what it will do with extra weight trying to loose the weight. Not good. But overall weight vests are good. Just be careful.

Also, I may have posted this elsewhere, but Mr. Duffy ran us through Every Set and Form one night from Yellow to Brown! MAN, I don't remember how long it took (well over 30mins) but it was surely better than TaeBo or any other Cardio Program! We did not stop. I think it lasted about 45mins, but it may have been longer.

How do you figure it was better? What are you basing this on?

K

Kirk

If you are overweight now think of what it will do with extra weight trying to loose the weight. Not good.

HUH? Come again?
How are the good for the thin man, but not good for the fat man?

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to do all the ones I know, which is up to short 3 for a good cardio workout. I want to try more of the dumbbells. I did short 1 once and it was great for my arms and shoulders.

Then do some Tae-Bo for a finisher :)

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Kirk
HUH? Come again? How are they good for the thin man, but not good for the fat man?

As much as people might not like to admit it, your ankles, and especially your knees can only handle so much weight. No matter who you are. If you are already taxing them with weight, then adding more weight to try and force your body to lose extra pounds will not help.

This would be in cases with very large people. A lot of weight is not good on the lower carrige of a body. I am talking instances where there is larger than usual amounts.

K

Kirk

This would be in cases with very large people. A lot of weight is not good on the lower carrige of a body. I am talking instances where there is larger than usual amounts.

That would be me! BUT ... that's why I started kenpo in the
first place, to do something about it.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Kirk

That would be me! BUT ... that's why I started kenpo in the
first place, to do something about it.

Medium build for me, but..........Do I smell discrimination towards us heavy guys around here?:samurai:

You don't want guys like me, and Kirk Power Bombing you guys!:rofl:

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

How do you figure it was better? What are you basing this on?
I'm glad I read this before I posted something in response to Goun on another thread. Praise God. Anyway, Gou agrees with me! I think I often agree with things he says.

But, I mean "better" because:
1. It would directly compliment your Kenpo training
2. I know that there are proper body mechanics involved in doing the sets and forms and I am not sure, although I confess that I do not know first hand, that TaeBo teaches how to properly throw a punch or kick or whatever. I think that even if it does this may not be emphasized so that if a TaeBo person were to actually have to punch someone (like they claim on the tape) they may have a greater risk of damaging their wrist for example, through the improper formation and deployment of the fist.

Regardless of the merits of 2., I would prefer Kenpo because the principles are sound and the workout would also be "practice."

That is what I meant. No offense to TaeBo. I have reccomended it to my Sister and others. Incidentally, Gilbert Velez thanks that because of the interest TaeBo has generated, that Billy Blanks deserves a medal. And Mr. Velez also says that he has developed a Kenpo Based aerobics based on the points I've made above. I may have gotten this from him anyway, from his section in the Journey.

Latest Discussions