How many Kenpo 10th degrees?

OP
J

jdmills

As far as Joe Palanzo is concerned, I know for a fact that he was a 7th in 1987. I think that makes him a "senior" in nearly anyone's book. I studied under him at his Ed Parker's Karate Studio at that time. He obviously had not broken from Mr. Parker of the IKKA and to my knowledge (which after 1988 is not first-hand) he did not leave the IKKA until after Mr. Parker's death.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jdmills
As far as Joe Palanzo is concerned, I know for a fact that he was a 7th in 1987. I think that makes him a "senior" in nearly anyone's book. I studied under him at his Ed Parker's Karate Studio at that time. He obviously had not broken from Mr. Parker of the IKKA and to my knowledge (which after 1988 is not first-hand) he did not leave the IKKA until after Mr. Parker's death.

Great point, but that is not what I am asking Mr. Chapel'. :asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631
Mr. Chapel' you previously stated...

Mr. Conatser is mentioned quite a bit in this thread in the context above.
I mention Conatser because he’s the only one I personally interact with on a regular basis. He picks up the phone and calls and we talk about a lot of things beyond kenpo as well. We saw each other often at Parker’s house in the eighties.
What do you think about some of the other Kenpo "Seniors" like Mr. Planas, Trejo,
Of course from my perspective Frank and Huk and most of the others are not seniors. I remember when Huk came over about 69 as a brown belt. I was the referee of Frank’s first tournament when he was a white belt at the IKC. Palanzo was coming out here for lessons with the Old man and was a green belt, but was a black belt back east runing his schools, etc. anyway Huk’s contribution to the material that most subscribe to is immeasurable, so he probably understands it better or as well as anyone. Frank to me is simply a physically gifted individual that was apparent to me from the beginning. I feel he clearly was the most naturally physically gifted person in kenpo that I’ve seen.

LaBounty

The personification of what a modern master should be. Integrity, Intelligence, and always a gentleman, but don't think he can't smack you around if you get out of hand He continues to educate himself. Of course he’s an old cop so what would you expect? (OK so I’m biased)

Sullivan

Simply an “old school” tough guy who in his seventies can still kick your *** and was there at the beginning. In the old days when the commercial schools were concentrating on techniques Chuck ran the only school that was still "bangin" and sparring regularly. Steve Sanders instructor.

Wedlake

One of the good guys who constantly expands on his knowledge, very smart guy, and a hell of a writer

Hancock

Also very intelligent, constantly searching for new innovative ways to convey information to student’s, and extremely well organized. Helped Parker a lot with the Infinite Series.

Palanzo

Although I have seen and met Polanzo off and on over the years when he would come out to the IKC or Parker’s house, I really don’t know him personally that well.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for delving into your experiences with some of Mr. Parker's students.

I noticed that most of the people I listed in my post weren't "seniors". They were like 2nd generation so to speak, "old timers".

Who would you consider "THE" "seniors".:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631
Thank you for delving into your experiences with some of Mr. Parker's students.

I noticed that most of the people I listed in my post weren't "seniors". They were like 2nd generation so to speak, "old timers".

Who would you consider "THE" "seniors".:asian:
Some more like third and fourth generation. Anyway everybody is senior to somebody, but everything is relative. My seniors are Woo, Castro, Sullivan, Ibrao, Hebler. There are others who are not necessarily my senior in the arts but whom I have a great deal of respect for like the Great Tom Kell(e)y, Steve Herring (Franks Instructor), and others. I studied with Ark Wong before coming to Parker and was a BB when I met him in 63.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
Frank....clearly was the most naturally physically gifted person in kenpo that I’ve seen.

That is a huge compliment, because you've come across some old school guys that were very physically gifted at that time as well, right? Tommy Chavis, Steve Sanders (goes without saying), and many of those old BKF guys that will remain forever nameless...

jb:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo
That is a huge compliment, because you've come across some old school guys that were very physically gifted at that time as well, right? Tommy Chavis, Steve Sanders (goes without saying), and many of those old BKF guys that will remain forever nameless...

jb:asian:
Well JB that is true, but to be honest I don't consider BKF to be "Kenpo" as most of us would mean it. You see they do not subscribe to any of the basics, principles, or concepts of kenpo and teach none of it's techniques, forms, or vocabulary. It bares no resemblance to any of Ed Parker's interpretations and it's teaching is completely unique in the martial arts. It is so much of an anomolous art that it only bares the name "kenpo" because that is Steves roots.

But Steve comes from a time before the art had evolved, and because of his naturals skills at sparring, that is pretty much all he did and subsequently taught in a sport based interpretation. He was so good at it, that's all he needed to do, and subsequently teach to students, as well as compete as a member of the competition team at the time.

As Parker moved to the technique based system, Steve as a student in the Chuck Sullivan school continued to concentrate on sparring. And that was fine with Chuck Sullivan because he too was a "fighter." You could roam from Kenpo school to Kenpo school and do techniques, but everyone knew if you wanted to "thump" you had to go to the Chuck Sullivan school. It was common knowledge and was known informally as the "fighting school." When Steve began teaching on his own, he taught sparring and awarded rank unceremoniously for sparring ability and competition success.

That being said there were many very talented guys, many of which I was involved in their training. Most of the well known competitors came from other schools to learn to spar and did well. There was an instructor name Bill Short who ran a traditional school teaching what he called Kobayashi Ryu. Students like Earnest Russell, Ricky Heath, Gary Goodman left there and came over to train. Sammy Spain came form Tae Kwon Do. I recruited and trained Lenny Ferguson from my old Gung fu school at Grandmaster Ark Wong's. Alfred "Hot Dog" Harvey, Vontrea Moss, Kraiguer Smith, came from Shorin Ryu, Frank Wilson who came from Chicago and studied with John Keehan, etc.

Unquestionably the fastest guy on earth was Frank Wilson. I saw Jim Kelly throw a side kick at Frank in a tournament. Frank dropped under the side kick to the floor and threw a sidekick from the floor up to his groin with perfect control, and when Kelly retracted the kick, Frank was back on his feet and Kelly never saw that he "wasn't "there" and questioned where the point came from.

Ricky Heath was also incredibly fast. A nice man who toured as a bassist with "The Brothers Johnson" (for those old enough to remember) and ultimately became a Sheriff's Deputy.

The most prominant in the speed category was Lenny Ferguson. I saw Lenny at the IKC angle off and throw a roundhouse kick at his opponent and knock him off his feet. As the opponent fell, Lenny recocked the kick in the air and adjusted it's trajectory and kicked him again, both with full power.

There were a lot of very talented guys but only a couple ever tackled Ed Parker's "system."

OP
B

Billy Lear

Originally posted by Doc
"Unquestionably the fastest guy on earth was Frank Wilson. I saw Jim Kelly throw a side kick at Frank in a tournament. Frank dropped under the side kick to the floor and threw a sidekick from the floor up to his groin with perfect control, and when Kelly retracted the kick, Frank was back on his feet and Kelly never saw that he "wasn't "there" and questioned where the point came from. "

I have always wanted to do that! :D

OP
W

webpage20022003

Originally posted by Doc
I actually did do it once, at least that is what the paramedics told me.

why the paramedics told you? i thought your instructor or your friends told you that ?:confused: :confused: :D

how long did you stay in the hospital ?:D :p :p

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Taken from the KenpoNET from Angelo Collado

Its True! I workout at Trejo's house on Monday and Wed Eve in his garage. On Mondays we do Stickyhands variation drills/forms and technique work covering the belt material. On Wed eve we bang and run the line. We play alot, graft alot mix up all the technques and create some kick *** KENPO!
Trejo announced on Monday that we are officially meeting starting on Wed(Tommorrow) at the Pasadena School at 6:00PM. We will drill and run the line. I personally invite all you local blackbelts to come over and bang with us. We are supporting the new IKKA movement and I hope you will all keep an open mind to all the new changes.
Frank Trejo is now the first 10th in the IKKA and will be the lead player along with a few more well established Blackbelt seniors. Come one come all!!!
Angelo Collado

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Billy Lear
Huk Planas is the second tenth degree in the IKKA... He sigend on two weeks ago.

Sincerely,
Billy Lear, UKS

Suuuuhhhhweeeeeet!

(I hate the fact that you Cali guys get all the good info before us East Coasters...:rofl: )

OP
B

Billy Lear

Mike Cappi knew this before I did. Where you been brother? Oh yeah that's right, saving the world (literally)... In that case never mind. :D

Sincerely,
Billy Lear, UKS

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Billy Lear
Mike Cappi knew this before I did. Where you been brother? Oh yeah that's right, saving the world (literally)... In that case never mind. :D

Sincerely,
Billy Lear, UKS

Not meant to bust any bubbles, but I never left the IKKA.

John James

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To whom it may concern,
I am sorry that I am posting this rather late. In July and August of 2003, Mr. Idol and Mr. Hall both posted responses about Professor Nick Cerio that were incorrect and I would like to speak on behalf of professor Cerio as he is not with us any longer. It was said that Prof. Cerio entered the IKKA a high rank and was allowed to keep it.... Prof. Cerio met SGM Parker in 1966. He was a Shodan. He relationship continued with Master Parker until Approx. 1984-5. In 1969, SGM Parker tested Prof. Cerio for his Sandan (verified by the diploma, date will only be given via private email). It was also said that Prof. Cerio had an expiration date on his 9th Diploma. This is false. I have a copy of the original diploma. I am sorry if this news is offensive to people but since Prof. Cerio's passing in 1998, many people have been attacking this promotion in particular. I can partially understand why you may be angry but facts are facts. Prof. Cerio received a 9th Dan from SGM Parker. As for Prof. Cerio not being 'productive', SGM Parker would have never got a foot in New England if it wasn't for Prof. Cerio. He brought SGM Parker in for seminars as early as 1968. I don't mean to offend anyone with this post, but could you please let this issue rest. If anyone has any 'proof' to the contrary of what I have said, I would like to hear it. You can email me privately at [email protected]. Otherwise, I don't take rumors or jealously as fact.

Sincerely
John James,
Nick Cerio's Kenpo

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by John James
To whom it may concern,
I am sorry that I am posting this rather late. In July and August of 2003, Mr. Idol and Mr. Hall both posted responses about Professor Nick Cerio that were incorrect and I would like to speak on behalf of professor Cerio as he is not with us any longer. It was said that Prof. Cerio entered the IKKA a high rank and was allowed to keep it.... Prof. Cerio met SGM Parker in 1966. He was a Shodan. He relationship continued with Master Parker until Approx. 1984-5. In 1969, SGM Parker tested Prof. Cerio for his Sandan (verified by the diploma, date will only be given via private email). It was also said that Prof. Cerio had an expiration date on his 9th Diploma. This is false. I have a copy of the original diploma. I am sorry if this news is offensive to people but since Prof. Cerio's passing in 1998, many people have been attacking this promotion in particular. I can partially understand why you may be angry but facts are facts. Prof. Cerio received a 9th Dan from SGM Parker. As for Prof. Cerio not being 'productive', SGM Parker would have never got a foot in New England if it wasn't for Prof. Cerio. He brought SGM Parker in for seminars as early as 1968. I don't mean to offend anyone with this post, but could you please let this issue rest. If anyone has any 'proof' to the contrary of what I have said, I would like to hear it. You can email me privately at [email protected]. Otherwise, I don't take rumors or jealously as fact.

Sincerely
John James,
Nick Cerio's Kenpo

by all mean, can you post the picture of this original diploma here through link or something so that everybody can see.?

Thanks

John James

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dear CoolKempoDude,
I would like to do just that but Professor Cerio's family would consider it very poor taste to put Professor Cerio's certificate on the web. I can only think that if anyone who is in Massachusetts, please let me know ahead of time and I will make arrangements for you to view it.

Sincererly
John James

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After wading through so many posts and and so much quibbling, I haven't seen anyone bring up this issue.

Are there any more female Kenpo 10th's than the two I see on the list eons of posts ago? Just curious.

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions