When did you all start martial arts?

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I started martial arts for its competitive aspect, not for self-defense. And then I realized that to be good in combat sports, you must be in great physical shape. Then I started lifting weights and realized that there was more to combat sports than being big and strong. It's everything. Skill, speed, strength, endurance, morale, etcetera. Since I have a strong background in weightlifting, I know it's never a good idea to train like 10 skills at a time, so I'm taking a step by step approach... First, get into my ideal frame, then work on endurance while maintaining my strength, and then start implementing combat-specific drills. And then be the next Bruce Lee!!! :D

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Started in judo aged 6. Did it until I was 18, then went off to uni and didn't train at all for a while. Took it back up in my 20s, got my 1st dan then decided to move on. After a couple of years trying all sorts of things without sticking to anything I found freestyle wrestling and been doing it for a few years now. Recently also took up wing chun; I find the two compliment each other nicely.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started Okinawan GoJu in 1967. My last promotion was a few years ago just before my Sensei passed away.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started at the local beach with a bunch of friends when I was in high school. Only 2 of the group ever continued studying under a real instructor and we both became instructors in our arts. I believe I started around 1962 or 1963 with those friends. Formal training started around 1970-71 Sorry Ive never been good with dates. First BB in 1972

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The cool thing about MartialTalk is that after being the old guy at the gym I can come here and be a young whippersnapper in comparison. :)

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've started twice. The first time was in 1966 at age 17, in GM Jhoon Rhee's style. I got up to Brown Belt, then for a variety of reasons, I stopped training. My second time was in 1987 at age 38 with the ATA. I've stayed with it and am now a 6th Degree Black Belt.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I began in the winter of 1991-92. I was a first dan in TKD once upon a time but left it behind many, many, years ago. I currently hold the rank of 3rd Dan in Hapkido.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I also started a few times. I did Arnis as a kid (maybe 13 or so) for a couple of years, and then took up HEMA at the ripe old age of 31. I've also added Japanese sword and Judo, and maintain training in all three. So it's not when did I start, but how many times have I started. ;) I kind of wish I had kept up the Arnis... would have helped my HEMA that much better!

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jet Li inspired me to take Wushu around 12 years ago. I didn't know much about it, but I fantasized about "the mystical path of the warrior" and what it would be like to be a Shaolin Monk who trained nonstop Kung Fu. After a few months I injured myself doing jump kicks and had to stop going. I never went back. At some point back then, I took Krav Maga for a while and can't remember why I quit. Now I have been taking Taekwondo for around half a year and am planning on sticking with it, unlike the other two. I love Taekwondo, it is my favorite martial art, the kicks are amazing. the trainers are all super nice except maybe Grandmaster Chung who isn't a bad guy or a mean guy but he has a temper. today (or yesterday rather) he got pissed at me and it was kind of scary. he trained two militaries in hand to hand combat

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I started in TaiChi Chuan at age 5, and did that for about 3 years. The only thing we did was this short staff form.
From age 8 until age 14 I was awol from MAs.
I am now 42. I have been under MA training for half of my life, plus a few years.

I am now only beginning to become a student.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Began in 1955.

My major styles are

- Shuai Chiao (Chinese wrestling), and
- long fist.

My minor styles are

- praying mantis,
- Baji,
- Zimen,
- white ape,
- Lohan,
- WC,
- Taiji,
- XingYi,

I have won 3 times US heavy weight championships in Shuai Chiao back in 1982, 1983, 1984. I have brought the 1st Shuai Chiao team from US to compete in Taiwan (1984), China (1985), and Rome, Italy (2004). I also brought Texas Sanda team competed in Taiwan (2007).

I'm a 7th degree black belt in combat Shuai Chiao, serve on the board of directors for the American Combat Shuai Chiao Association (ACSCA), and a certified Sanda/Sanshou coach from the Changchun Normal University in China.

Last edited:

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So I went to my records.
Tai chi 3 years [age 5-8]
Shotokan (1 year) 1988-1989 [age 14-15]
Tang Soo Do (26 years) 1988-present [age 14-42]...so 30 years by my reckoning, but usually I don't count the taichi. Still, with 26 years, I wouldn't want to tussle with Kung Fu Wang. :cool:
:cool:

The DC

White Belt
Reaction score
I studied Tae Kwon Do as a teen while still in high school,around 1987 or so for a couple years,and stopped training my senior year to concentrate on school (ok....it was the opposite sex I was concentrating on :p). After that,life jumped up and took my attention for several years (military service after high school,driving long haul trucks after that,wife,kids,etc). In 2001 I found a truly wonderful person (he and his wife would become the God-parents of our own 2 kids) who also happened to teach TKD,and until we had to move away in 2005 (with a little Hapkido and Kenpo thrown in as additional techniques after "traditional" TKD was taught),earning to a Brown belt level (with Brown coming immediately before/under 1st dan in his style),I trained/studied under him in his school (about 4 years of training,though at that time I had little interest in "belts and rank",so I did not test for such as often as I could have). As we had kept in touch,I was sad to leanr of Sensei's passing in 2010--he is missed.

Issues with some on the job injuries (from 2001) in 2008 prevented training/studying for a while after that. As I've gotten fitter,stronger over the last year or so,with a deep and renewed interest and drive to,I've begun training again,hoping to earn my 1st Dan by year's end if I'm able/qualilfied to,and continue until I am no longer able to (hopefully until after having died at a ripe old age ;):p).

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
Second week of 1968. I'm not sure if it was Monday or Tuesday.

I'm still a beginner.

Collateral Damage

White Belt
Reaction score
I started learning Thai Martial arts when I was 11. At the start I studied Muay Thai but after 7-8 months, my kru took me aside and started teaching me Muay Boran along with 4 of my other friends. At 14, I came back to my home country where I analysed my uncles Taekwondo and Shotokan backgrounds and abilities with their judo training. I assimilated Ninjutsu, Aikido and Judo into my training to make my art complete and now at 18, I am still going strong and able to hold myself in whatever situation, street or official, I am in.

Jacky Zuki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I did a bit of Shotokan when I was a teenager, just after Karate Kid was released in '84, packed it up in late '87 when I left for university and discovered that rock climbers got all the girls. Did a bit of Iaido for four years early 90s until a climbing accident closely followed by being run over by a white van while cycling put paid to kneeling in seiza for long periods. Tried lots of arts between 1994-1999 (a couple of years of Aikido, a year of Ju Jitsu, Tai Chi and Lau Gar among others) but nothing really stuck with me like Iaido or Karate. Took up Wado Ryu in January 1999 on the last day of my 20s, while having a premature mid-life crisis. I had an accident (crushed against a bus stop by a white van) again in 2007 which left me unable to do anything for a while and I only got back into Wado again in May this year. So totting that all up it is about 20 years with 11-12 years of Karate.

Curse you white van man! I could have been a fourth dan in Iaido or Karate by now if only you could drive straight! ;)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did a bit of Shotokan when I was a teenager, just after Karate Kid was released in '84, packed it up in late '87 when I left for university and discovered that rock climbers got all the girls. Did a bit of Iaido for four years early 90s until a climbing accident closely followed by being run over by a white van while cycling put paid to kneeling in seiza for long periods. Tried lots of arts between 1994-1999 (a couple of years of Aikido, a year of Ju Jitsu, Tai Chi and Lau Gar among others) but nothing really stuck with me like Iaido or Karate. Took up Wado Ryu in January 1999 on the last day of my 20s, while having a premature mid-life crisis. I had an accident (crushed against a bus stop by a white van) again in 2007 which left me unable to do anything for a while and I only got back into Wado again in May this year. So totting that all up it is about 20 years with 11-12 years of Karate.

Curse you white van man! I could have been a fourth dan in Iaido or Karate by now if only you could drive straight! ;)
You should start a new thread: "What is the best martial art for defending against white vans?"

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I started learning Thai Martial arts when I was 11. At the start I studied Muay Thai but after 7-8 months, my kru took me aside and started teaching me Muay Boran along with 4 of my other friends. At 14, I came back to my home country where I analysed my uncles Taekwondo and Shotokan backgrounds and abilities with their judo training. I assimilated Ninjutsu, Aikido and Judo into my training to make my art complete and now at 18, I am still going strong and able to hold myself in whatever situation, street or official, I am in.

Uh… you "assimilated Ninjutsu et al…"?

Please clarify.

Collateral Damage

White Belt
Reaction score
Uh… you "assimilated Ninjutsu et al…"?

Please clarify.

By assimilation I meant that I ADOPTED some of their more simpler and some more advanced techniques into my training so I could fully make my art more capable.
You see, when I came back at 14, my country's ministry of education did not accept my previous Cambridge qualifications and asked me to repeat them through my own ministry.
This made my schedule hectic and I only had time to practice my techniques. I gained weight and lost flexibility. When I picked my practice back up, it became clear that although it would take time to get back where I was, but my art could only be complete if I was in peak shape.
If u have knowledge of Muay Boran, you would know that it is an umbrella term. It was used collectively for all Muay arts of Ancient Thailand. I added the aforementioned techniques into my training, practicing the throws etc, on a smaller Heavybag. that I modified.
Muay Thai etc, are not the flashiest arts, more emphasis is given to the most simplest techniques. Therefore, every Nak Muay will not be the same, since everybody adopts according to their likings from other arts and follows through.

Also, remember that I don't talk of competition level Muay Thai, but of a more deadlier and subtle art that is far greater in its antiquity, and is the ancestor of modern-day Muay Thai that is being practiced in rings. Not saying that the professional Muay Thainis lacking........

I hope this would make everything clear.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
By assimilation I meant that I ADOPTED some of their more simpler and some more advanced techniques into my training so I could fully make my art more capable.

I hope this would make everything clear.

What it does not make clear is whether you have had any actual training in Ninjutsu, Aikido, or Judo. It also does not make clear whether you understand the underlying principles that make the techniques work in those arts or how you would integrate those principles with the principles of Muay Boran.

Latest Discussions