How old were you when you first started Martial Arts?

How old were you when you started Martial Arts?

• 10 years old or under

Votes: 107 23.8%
  • 11 years old to 15

Votes: 114 25.4%
  • 16 years old to 19

Votes: 78 17.4%
  • 20 years old to 29

Votes: 74 16.5%
  • 30 years old to 39

Votes: 54 12.0%
  • 40 years old to 49

Votes: 29 6.5%
  • 50 years old to 59

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60 years old and up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I've always wondered how old people were when they started Martial Arts. I know that there is a large age range on this site.
So, this is the question: How old were you when you first started Martial Arts?

I'm mainly looking for how old you were when you first started seriously doing it. Example---If you did Karate when you were 5 years old but then quit for 10 years and started doing it again when you were 15 and never quit....then you'd vote 15 years.

I hope this all makes sense. :confused: Have fun!

Robyn :)

Depaends on what you mean by martial art. I started wrestling when I was in jr. high school, I did not start my other thraining until much latter.

Despair Bear

i was a ripe old 20 yr. old when i began formal training in Hapkido...........respects.

I was 49 when I started aikido. I'm 51, and still cannot do some things as well as I would have been able to if I had started at a younger age (such as bending my toes for shikko!). However, I'm doing much more than I thought I would be able to when I started. Maybe in another 10 years I'll even be able to do shikko! :)

Joy

Unfortunately I was 17 years old.... I would give anything to go back and start at the age of 5!!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Originally posted by Joy

I was 49 when I started aikido. I'm 51, and still cannot do some things as well as I would have been able to if I had started at a younger age (such as bending my toes for shikko!). However, I'm doing much more than I thought I would be able to when I started. Maybe in another 10 years I'll even be able to do shikko! :)

Joy

Hi Mom!!! :wavey:

Thanks for voting on my poll! ;) I realized I forgot to write about me! I started Aikido when I was 18 (my mom and I started together). I'm 20 now but still not very good at Aikido.

Robyn :boing1:

My father was in the military, and as we traveled from place to
place, they always had m.a. training at the "rec center". I
went there incessantly as a kid, but the kids were always stuck
into a corner, out of the way of the adults. In 4 different towns,
and 4 different states, it was the same thing. All we ever did
were basics. So I put my current age range, 33, because I'm
actually studying now, and not shoved off into the corner.

I was 11 when I started training in Tang Soo Do. I am now 28 have been training consistently the whole time :)

I was 11 when I started TKD. When I got to high school I was a blue belt. Unfortunately I became involved in all the different high school sports which left little or no time for TKD. Basically I had quit. After high school I left for college, got married during my junior year, had a kid by my senior year, entered the work force, had other kids, etc. Now at the age of 29 I am attempting to pick up where I left off. I wish I had all those prime years back. Everyone says I'm still young, but I'm not quite like I was at 21.

I was always intersted in MA (since the age of 9), but my parents couldn't afford classes. Then I got into music (playin da drums) and forgot about MA for a while. Then when I was 24, I got interested again, but I was broke lol. I didn't start till I was 25 (after finding a desent job lol).

Originally posted by Despairbear

Depaends on what you mean by martial art. I started wrestling when I was in jr. high school, I did not start my other thraining until much latter.

Despair Bear

Yeah, me too. I went ahead and counted the wrestling. I didn't start my other training really until I was 24.

I was about 14 when I started playing wiith judo throws and trying to do karate type kicks. I din't start actual practiceing until I was 20
Shadow

I was 11 when i first learned about the quarterstaff an played around with the basics; 19 starting kung fu seriously; 21 starting chinese kenpo and military combatives; 27 starting shorin ryu karate-do and combat judo; and 42 starting dragon kenpo and kenpo karate. :asian: Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

I was about 10 years old when I learned white crane for 1-2 years then started on shaolin kung fu and tai chi since I was 21

salute

:asian:

I *started* in the martial arts when I was about 17, taking Wado Ryu classes at the University. However, I didn't do much more than a quarter's worth, and let it go after that.

I started *seriously* in the arts about five years later, and have been hooked ever since.

Peace--

Started when I was four as part of family tradition for little boy on his fourth birthday. Traditional Pencak.

Left for university fourteen years later and started aikido.

Still practicing both... I am 28 now

I started on my 13th birthday and have been having a blast for the last 21 yrs. It has been a great trip, and I hope it never ends.

I just started today...I figure if I like it I might continue.
:rolleyes:

Back