Martial Arts Quiz :)

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys! I thought it would be fun to do a little quiz today.

So here we go...and good luck:)

1. Karate is a Japanese martial art that uses various punches, kicks and blocks. What does the word karate mean????

2. Which martial arts technique involves different kinds of grappling, locks and holds????

3. The Samurai were a class of ancient martial arts warriors from what country????

4. What is the name of the place where martial arts are taught or practiced????

*I will post the answers in exactly 6 1/2 hours which for me (my time) is 2:30.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why four question marks when one should be enough?
Not sure I get question number 2...
About question number 4, different arts have different names for where they practice.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're going to have to work a little harder to stump the crowd around here....
1) The original meaning was "China hand", but for nationalistic reasons the kanji were changed to mean "empty hand" in the early part of the 20th century. (The pronunciations are the same)
2) Your question is ambiguous, since grappling, locks, and holds are composed of many, many different techniques. I assume you are looking for a term which encompasses that entire category of techniques, such as katame-waza, but that terminology will vary according to the language and style.
3) Japan, but your definition of samurai is a little bit off.
4) Again, it depends on the language and the art. Dojo, dojang, kwoon, gym, training hall, my back yard would be just a few options.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

1. Karate is a Japanese martial art that uses various punches, kicks and blocks. What does the word karate mean????

2. Which martial arts technique involves different kinds of grappling, locks and holds????

3. The Samurai were a class of ancient martial arts warriors from what country????

1. Empty hand (I thought Karate was Okinawan).

2.Does not make sense, pleas restate. Different kinds of grappling, locks and holds ARE martial arts techniques.

3. Feudal Japan

4. Training area. Kung Fu is taught in a Kwoon, Bad Kung Fu is taught in a McKwoon Karate is taught in a dojo Bad Karate is taught in a Mcdojo, Taekwondo is taught in a dojang, Bad Taekwondo is taught in a Mcdojang. Martial arts can be practiced almost anywhere.

So what do I win?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

1. Karate is Okinawan and means China Hand. In Japan the term Karate was changed to mean the philosophical 'Empty Hand' for acceptance in training youth in school.

2. Not quite understanding your question. There are many Techniques that include grappling, locks, & holds. Can you be more specific as to which particular technique your are inquiring about?

3. I can only assume you are asking about what modern inferred history is. Japan

4. Can we get a specific martial art and where is it being taught and what language is being represented by the term to be use?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

"Karate" is the fourth sacred word of the Knights who say "Ni". The sacred words are Ni, Peng, Nee-Wom and Karate. It's literal definition, although debated when discussed in English, is - a noun used when Ni, Peng and Nee-Wom just won't do.

What?

3 The Samurai were a class of ancient martial arts warriors from what country????

Burma. The Samurai sword was instrumental in creating "Burma Shave."

4. What is the name of the place where martial arts are taught or practiced?

The sacred answer is revealed in the fourth line -

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. ive heard china hand but mostly empty hand
it depends on what kind of karate your talking about, some styles are Okinawan (not all of them)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Should i mention we all have access to google?

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Pre-1950's (I think): China hand (Okinawan). Now a days: Empty hand (Japanese) - changed by Gichin Funakoshi to be accepted.

Not sure??? As each technique has it's own name. Art would be Jujustu or Jujitsu (or an art that encompasses that)

Well, the word Samurai is Japanese, so Japan :)

Which art? Which language?

Not sure if there's a twist in this fun quiz??? :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Okay… most of the responses have touched on what I would have mentioned (Karate is an Okinawan art that has been transported to Japan, with some later systems being Japanese… er, what? on number 2…. that's not what the samurai really were… and what art are we talking about in the last one?), but there are some answers I wanted to cover in a bit more detail…

Karate means to emanate from the center. The rest I dunno either. :)

Er… huh? If you're talking metaphorically, and talking about an ideal within some of the systems, okay I guess… but as a translation, no, not at all.

China hand is actually Chuan Fa, or Kempo.

No, it's not. Chuan fa (Chinese pronunciation)/Kenpo (Kempo) (Japanese pronunciation) literally translates as "fist method/law", and is written with the characters 拳法.

Pre-1950's (I think): China hand (Okinawan). Now a days: Empty hand (Japanese) - changed by Gichin Funakoshi to be accepted.

So let's look at the characters for karate…

The common usage characters today are 空手, with a literal translation of "empty hand"; the earlier characters were 唐手. Although that's often translated as "China Hand", it's actually more specifically "Hand from the Tang Dynasty China"… "China" by itself (modern) is 中華 (Chuu-ka), literally meaning "Middle Kingdom".

When it comes to the change in terminology, there was a meeting in Okinawa with the heads of many of the systems extant at the time in 1936, which included Chojun Miyagi and Choki Motobu, but did not include Funakoshi, at which it was established that the common term should change to "Empty Hand". However, it's not that simple either…

In Japan, when the art was first introduced, the characters were "China/Tang Dynasty Hand" (note: in Okinawa, it was the same characters, but pronounced "Tou-dii/Tode", which is an alternate pronunciation for the same written characters, or simply "Tii/Te", meaning "hand")… by 1905, one Okinawan teacher (Chomo Hanashiro) was already using the characters for "Empty Hand", although he was seemingly the only one (for reference, Funakoshi wouldn't travel to Japan for a number of years, with his major introduction in the early 1920's). Funakoshi's own books reflect this, with his 1922 publication (Tode - Ryukyu Kenpo - "China Hand - Okinawan Fist Methods" 唐手 - 琉球拳法) and his 1925 publication (Karate-jutsu - "China Hand Practical Art" 唐手術) both feature the characters, as seen, for "China Hand", albeit with two alternate pronunciations. It wasn't until his 1939 book, Karate-do Kyohan ("Empty Hand Way Instructional" - 空手教範) where the characters changed to "Empty Hand".

Not long after karate was introduced to Japan, there began a habit among instructors to write "karate" with hiragana (Japanese syllabry, like an alphabet, giving a purely phonetic rendering rather than specific words/kanji) - からて. The move to "empty hand" was a little more gradual… and was, in the end, adopted for a number of reasons… one given was that no-one was offended by "empty hand", although some were by "China hand".

D

Deleted member 32980

1. Art of open hand I believe
2. Judo aikido
3. Japan, also called ronin given their status
4.dojo

I just realized that this was the easiest quiz on the planet

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1. Art of open hand I believe
2. Judo aikido
3. Japan, also called ronin given their status
4.dojo

I just realized that this was the easiest quiz on the planet

Nate, You really should take the time to read the answers already posted and pay attention to the input coming from the more learned members of this forum, such as Chris. You could add a lot of depth to your understanding. Coming after such a thoughtful post, your post might strike some as a bit ...er ....shallow?

D

Deleted member 32980

Nate, You really should take the time to read the answers already posted and pay attention to the input coming from the more learned members of this forum such as Chris. You could add a lot of depth to your understanding.
Gosh, all I was doing was having a little fun and doing the quiz

Latest Discussions