When did you all start martial arts?

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi! I just wanted to see where everyone was that and your belt level!

Thanks,
Emilie

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
pretty sure there's already a thread for that here. may even be stickied

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doesn't really mean much but for what it's worth:
Been training since the age of 11 but for a 2 year hiatus; am now 60.
Have Black Belts in 5 training systems and train in 2 others don't have a belt ranking.
Presently training in a Submission wrestling system working toward becoming a certified coach.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
started in 1978 for a short time and started again in 1983. been active ever since. i have earned a few black belts of various degrees but i dont pay any attention to them. if i am going to a specific school i will wear my black belt out of respect for the system and the teachers but generally if i am with my own students and wearing a Gi, i have a black and red belt i wear. it represents the native american culture. red is the color of the warrior and black is the color of the elder wise men. it holds personal meaning for me.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had my first introduction to martial arts when I was I believe 8 and an instructor taught me some basics of Tang Soo Do when I visited his place. After that I first started regularly taking martial arts lessons when I was 10 and I started Judo. At the time I didn't like it as I wanted to learn a striking style so I only did it for about half a year. I then started the main style I train in, Shito Ryu Karate, when I was 12 which I still train in to this day although over the years I've trained in many other forms of martial arts. In some cases I just sampled an art or system and in other cases I've really gotten into it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Started Greek Gojo-ryu in East Boston in 1970. Started American Karate and western boxing six months later.

Been getting my *** kicked ever since.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Began in 1975. Last summer my instructor formally retired and named me to succeed him as the styles Grandmaster and the associations Director.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been training off and on since 1981, currently I'm in the process of finding a new school to train in.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I walked into the dojang for the first time in 1968 or 1969. Since then, I've punched a few things, kicked a few things, and been punched and kicked by more than a few.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Lets put it this way....Enter the Dragon had not been in theaters yet, but it was not to long after. as for belt level, I am in Traditional Chinese Martial Arts and there are no belt levels

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I began in Ju Do ate the early age of 7 but for no more than 2 or 3 months, then again Ju Do at 10 if I rcall but it was when I got 16 the bug or martial arts bite me and got inside karate koreano (TKD), afther I marry I skip TKD for almost 12-13 years and went back in 2007 and since then till now, I am a third degree black belt in TKD.

Manny

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
as I have said else where I started training from a book around 1962, learned a little while in the military and joined my first formal class in 1970.
belts, yep got some in a few styles, but had to buy a new one to hold up my every day pants a few days ago.
best thing I ever learned in the arts is you never stop learning

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Since 1998, got a few black belts and learnt that there is so much more that I don't know :)

Latest Discussions