Ever had someone tell you martial arts is stupid?

• Thread starter blackbeltedbeauty
  • Start date
B

blackbeltedbeauty

Hi all! Ever had anyone tell you that martial arts is stupid and there's no point learning it? I did in high school back in the day, where everyone makes fun of everyone for everything. I still get it sometimes, but here's my reaction to those people: :2xBird2: and :flame: and :mp5: What's your reaction?

Thanx,
Becky

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is my reaction...

"................................................"

sometimes you just have to ignore people

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
eh i just tell them to each there own and go about my own thing :rolleyes:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep! Every monday before I go to class and when arriving home. :jedi1:
And my dad plus a few others but I just smile at them. :uhyeah:

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Nope, never personally. I've read crap like that on the internet, usually written by someone who's trying to advertise their own "self-defense" class (or videos), as if nothing that they're teaching is ever used by those training in something called a "martial art." But nobody's actually ever said that to me directly.

OP
V

Vadim

In my line of work some fellow co-workers say you dont need martial arts. You just need a big barrel shotgun to prtect yourself. I just nod my head and try to make them aware of other options. They say you can lead a horse to water but you cant make 'em drink. :idunno:

-Vadim

OP
G

Galvatron

Yeah it happens from time to time.
The best one i ever got was "I got a glock in my truck that'll handle any black belt" To which I promptly replied "Great, let's see you go get it".

I tend to ignore most, or laugh. I offer the persistent ones the chance to prove their point.

OP

I prefer not to argue with close-minded people who would say MAs are stupid.

OP
P

pakua

blackbeltedbeauty said:
but here's my reaction to those people: :2xBird2: and :flame: and :mp5:

Hmmm.... if that's your reaction, I'd venture to suggest that you've missed the point of MA somewhere along the way.

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've had a few people tell me that MA are useless. Once, early on in my MA career (almost 20 years ago) I had a wrestler (greco-roman and free style) tell me that. He asked me to show him some things, and being an "honorable" MA guy I moved with control and limited the contact of my strikes. The wrestler mopped the floor with me. My instructor walked on the floor seeing this. He called for a stop to the action and mopped the floor with the wrestler.

I've had a few people of various backgrounds tell me MA are useless/stupid/BS/etc., and in response I offered to show them on the mat (or grass). All but one declined. The one who did not decline actually did decline at first, but jumped me moments later when my back was turned. I then proceded to give him an intense lesson in MA. He certainly doesn't think MA are BS anymore.

Tim Kashino

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Vadim said:
In my line of work some fellow co-workers say you dont need martial arts. You just need a big barrel shotgun to prtect yourself. I just nod my head and try to make them aware of other options. They say you can lead a horse to water but you cant make 'em drink. :idunno:

-Vadim
I hear ya..Some of the coppers I work with say they don't need that " Karate Bulls**t" when I have this and they pat their holstered weapon...

OP
R

red_herring

...I noticed that most of the people who wrote here are doing Korean martial arts(excample TKD).I think it happens very ofthen that some ignorant pople say that eastern MA are not effective at all.Im interested in Korean and Japanese martial art too.Usually when I meet my father and we talk about MA then he makes fun over me, because my point is 'its about who does the martial art and every MA can be effective'.Guess what has my father done?...WRESLING of course:ultracool He has won several titles and stuff.So he thinks he can take me on in any given moment and finish me off before I even notice it.
I think it is very interesting, many(if not all)MMA people say that eastern styles are pointless and not effective at all.Why is that?Its a fact that many of the arts have a long history and they have been used for a very long time and it has been very effective.For excample TKD is teached to Korean soldiers.And the operative units in HK use Hap Ki Do(and the operative units in HK are expected to be the best in the world)
...I think Im going off topic here, but I really wanted to cheer my idea with you and hear what you think about it.Why do people who do "western" martial arts think "eastern" MA are pointless?
If I have asked people who say so then they counter me with"Have you ever seen a TKD or a Wing Shun master haveing sucsess in K1 or PRIDE?"Yes there are no masters like that in PRIDE or K1, but I cant imagine what would bring a wing shun master to fight in PRIDE.
Anyway I hope to hear your ideas about it:)

ps.Sorry about spelling mistakes and grammar errors.

H.F.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've only had some one tell me they are stupid once...and then they pointed their finger at me as if they were pistol in hand and said pow. I proceded to grab the extended digit (after all, pointing it is like an offer right ???) and twist it in an uncomfy manner as to make them issue forth a screach that would do a Catholic school girl proud. I then responded with, "If you are going to stick out your finger and say pow...make sure you do it with the real thing."

Seriously, ignore those that mock...Just smile and issue a very confident "ok..if you say so" and then go about your merry way. Just remember that in your head remember this one quote..." You don't have to beleive to get your butt whipped..."

Remember that guy who said that it was round and not flat... They didn't beleive him either...

Walt

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Is not"
"Uh Huh"
"Uh uh"
Uh Huh
Uh uh
UHUHUHUHUHUHUHU.............

Who cares what they think, quite honestly. It is sort of like discussions about religion with people who have an ax to grind... live the principles that you are linking to your martial arts/religion by 'leading by example' and their criticisms will be moot.

More powerfully, invite them to see for themselves/participate so that they can form a fair/informed opinion. When (notice it isn't if:)) they decline/refuse express your disappointment that they aren't being more fair than judgemental...and walk away/change topics.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my line of work,it happens daily. I don't care.People will say whatever they have to say,and it changes or effects nothing.

I forget who said this....you can't kick every dog that barks at you....:)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CeiCei posted a similar thread. My in-laws think MA is pretty stupid and a distant second to a firearm. They shake their heads and grin when I show up at family functions with something wrapped or a big bruise. I just blame it on my husband and say, "My martial arts failed me again! I must need private lessons ..." and laugh with them. I think this eases the tension for everybody.

I tried saying stuff like, 'the cops we train don't think it's garbage,' and 'oh yeah, that's why we have a gun shop owner training with us,' but these things fall on deaf ears.

I agree with Loki and bignick. Ignore them mostly, and keep on keepin' on - live the principles.

The road less travelled isn't travelled less because it's easy.

Latest Discussions