When did you all start martial arts?

Collateral Damage

White Belt
Reaction score
I never said trained and I never said that I studied them under some Sensei. But I did research thoroughly into the basics of all techniques and how they get incorporated into the clinches and holds. I also looked on techniques on how to get out of holds.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I never said trained and I never said that I studied them under some Sensei. But I did research thoroughly into the basics of all techniques and how they get incorporated into the clinches and holds. I also looked on techniques on how to get out of holds.
So you learned these techniques from books and/or videos?

I think you'll find that most folks here are in agreement that you are unlikely to have much success learning in this manner. Books and videos can be useful supplements to actual instruction, but don't make a good replacement for it.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By assimilation I meant that I ADOPTED some of their more simpler and some more advanced techniques into my training so I could fully make my art more capable.

So what you've really done is tried to incorporate your own imaginings of what these arts are like into the mess you've come up with yourself, with little basis in reality.

You see, when I came back at 14, my country's ministry of education did not accept my previous Cambridge qualifications and asked me to repeat them through my own ministry.

"Cambridge qualifications"?!? What on earth are you going on about there? You're referring to Cambridge University… when you were 14? Seriously? And, frankly, this is irrelevant… you still haven't had any actual schooling or education in any of the arts you're claiming to have "assimilated" (PS, this isn't Star Trek, and assimilated means something different to what you think…)

This made my schedule hectic and I only had time to practice my techniques. I gained weight and lost flexibility. When I picked my practice back up, it became clear that although it would take time to get back where I was, but my art could only be complete if I was in peak shape.

Er… huh?

If u have knowledge of Muay Boran, you would know that it is an umbrella term. It was used collectively for all Muay arts of Ancient Thailand. I added the aforementioned techniques into my training, practicing the throws etc, on a smaller Heavybag. that I modified.
Muay Thai etc, are not the flashiest arts, more emphasis is given to the most simplest techniques. Therefore, every Nak Muay will not be the same, since everybody adopts according to their likings from other arts and follows through.

Son, a word to the wise… playing the "if you have knowledge of 'x'" game with me is one you're likely to lose…. and none of this has anything to do with what I asked.

Also, remember that I don't talk of competition level Muay Thai, but of a more deadlier and subtle art that is far greater in its antiquity, and is the ancestor of modern-day Muay Thai that is being practiced in rings. Not saying that the professional Muay Thainis lacking...…..

Kid, let me be blunt. You're 18, you did a couple of months of training when you were 11, and you've made up the rest. At the moment, you're little more than a fantasist when it comes to martial arts. Considering the range of experience here, I might suggest having a more realistic expression of what you've done.

I hope this would make everything clear.

More than you realise.

So you've learnt nothing of them, and therefore couldn't have "assimilated" anything. Cool.

Emilee <3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I began taekwondo in the sixth grade. I didn't have any previous interest in martial arts, and I pretty much decided to start on a whim (as in, I decided to start less than five minutes after the idea was proposed to me). Now I'm three and half years in, have a first degree black belt, and plan to continue training as long as I can because I love it (I'm a martial arts nerd now haha).

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrestled from 4th grade until I graduated high school (1994). Started karate a couple months later (early 1995). Trained until I left for graduate school (2002). I was scheduled to take my 2nd dan test. As it was only offered twice a year (October and April) and at our honbu, I had to put it off until I was done with grad school. I started dating my wife, started a career, and had 2 children, so I didn't go back.

While away at college (1998-2001), I drove and hour and a half each way to karate 2-3 times a week. I also joined the martial arts club and boxing club on campus. The martial arts club was pretty cool. It was run by students, and we took turns teaching stuff from our styles. We had about 15-20 people there and only one or two didn't have any MA experience. We traded ideas and sparred. My only complaint was the level of contact wasn't as high as I was used to (I was in a Kyokushin offshoot at the time). The boxing club was run by a retired low level pro who was just opening a gym in the town. There were 3 guys who were competitive and very good. I spent a lot of time working and sparring with them.

A few years after grad school, I started coaching wrestling under a friend at a high school. I was on the mat a few nights a week, and did that on and off for 6 years.

I went back to karate at a different school a year ago. Being a different organization and teacher, I started at white belt again. I'm testing for green belt (4th kyu) on Monday. I don't plan on ever leaving. I have a great teacher, great students to work with, and a great organization (Seido Juku).

But my best MA day by far was the day my oldest daughter started training. Going to the dojo together on Saturday is easily the highlight of my week. My other daughter has another 2 years before she's old enough.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's pretty damn cool, JR.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's pretty damn cool, JR.

Thanks, Buka. My daughters are the love of my life (along with my wife). My 5 year old is so focused and serious in karate, it's actually scary. The only times in my life where I almost cried from happiness was when the were born, and when I tied her white belt on and told her to bow and say Osu before she walked onto the floor. The lump in my throat totally took me by surprise, but I recovered before anyone noticed.

I highly doubt my 3 year old daughter will have the focus my 5 year old does. But time will tell. She's an equally great kid, but far more of a character and free spirit than my 5 year old.

They both love hitting focus mitts and the kicking shield with me at home. My 3 year old loves making up her own katas and performing them in front of us.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You see, when I came back at 14, my country's ministry of education did not accept my previous Cambridge qualifications and asked me to repeat them through my own ministry.

So, which college were you in at Cambridge? I'm more than surprised at your qualifications not being accepted by your country when many famous Pakistanis including Prime Ministers have been there. Still going to university when you are younger than fourteen must have been interesting.......

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started martial arts six years ago when was 16. Im currently brown belt althoah my instructor mentioned I could go up for black sooner or later after I learn a couple more forms.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started in 1982 (maybe) with Shotokan (I think) Karate, for about a year. Somewhere around 1983-1984, I started Kodokan Judo and Shotokan (definitely, this time!) Karate. A year or so of that pairing, then a hiatus from formal instruction until 1988, when I started studying Nihon Goshin Aikido. A couple of gaps when I wasn't attending formal classes, then fairly constant 1992 to 1998 and pretty intense training from 1998 to 2010. Shodan in 2003. In 2010, I started development of a new curriculum - a slightly different focus from the curriculum used in the mainline schools. Along the way, I've attended numerous seminars in other styles and arts, studied in public classes and private sessions with a number of instructors in other arts, and spent a lot of time fiddling with the techniques, forms, and principles. I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it.

Latest Discussions