Ever had someone tell you martial arts is stupid?

• Thread starter blackbeltedbeauty
  • Start date

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I rarely tell anyone I study Martial Arts unless it is another Martial Artist I'm talking to, because I can talk about Martial Arts for hours with like minded people. I never turn up to class with my Kung Fu clothes on show as I always have a jacket on and our class isn't one of these Karate or taekwondo classes where everyone wears the white uniforms with the name of the school. Its T shirts and black pants but we do have our own logo but I don't like to wear anything like this in public because it is really asking for trouble.

OP
J

jaymo

yes, i've had people tell me the martial arts are stupid...but they're usually stupid themselves. i also get people making comments because i'm a fat martial artist, saying: "that's when you know they are just giving that s__t away".

then i kick them squa in dee nuts.

just kidding about the nuts part, i only use my powers for good. i would rather pee on myself than hurt someone else.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our kids play a lot with the neighbors' kids. The neighbor's kids dad has badmouthed MA a couple of times and my stepson has asked what he should do when he hears things like that. I told him, although a straight punch to the nads would be spectacular, smiling and walking away would be more respectful and dignified.

He has, thus far, been repectful and dignified.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I prefer to be a living embodiment of all the good that martial arts can do. Patience, persistance, respect, self control etc. If someone thinks martial arts is stupid, my general reaction (thought, not spoken) is that their lives must be incredibly shallow and unsatisfying to put down what they undoubtably have not experienced. That deserves pity, not scorn or anger. Not because they don't practice, but because of all the negativity they carry around.

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am usually the one telling other people martial arts are stupid. Or I agree with them after they make the statment. That way I only am subjected to their garbage for about half the time.

kelly

"never argue with a fool for they may be doing the same thing"
Bruce Juchnik

OP
E

Erik

BlueDragon1981 said:
I had one person say "Your martial arts is not going to do anything against my 45?"
I've just put guys in a rear-naked choke, given a little pressure (not enough to knock them out or cause them to panic), and said, "okay, shoot me. Go ahead... come on... I'm waiting." When they try to reach for a pretend gun, I give a little pressure, just enough that they know that I own them.

This assumes that such a thing is not too inappropriate at the given time and place. It's certainly roughhousing.

I've trained with a few UFC fighters (who are significantly better than I am) who get plenty of respect from their competitions being on TV. It's lame, but by being associated with them, I look that much better.

Also, I've made 7 choke-outs on the street, broken two guys' arms, and one guy's knee. I was a bouncer for a few years. I just mention this and that what I do seems to have worked pretty well for me over the years.

These things stop most snyde commentaries.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlueDragon1981 said:
I had one person say "Your martial arts is not going to do anything against my 45

And then they point the .45 caliber index finger against you, and pull the trigger. They then say "Bang," or words to that effect.

Had one friend in high school say he'd just use his .357 magnum on me. I asked him where it was.

"In my car."
"Where's the car?"
"In the lower parking lot." (400 yards away)
"Where is it in the car?"
"Locked in the glove compartment"
"Is the car locked?"
"Yeah."
"Is the gun loaded?"
"No."
"Where's the ammunition?"
"Locked in the trunk."
"Race ya."

That sort of settled it.

They always assume WE don't own guns and would never use them. Isn't that odd?

Regards,

Steve

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, For those who have not experience the martial world will say dumb things, like your karate does not work. Lots of hear say? We know the benefits of our training. Just let those people believe what they want. Better to learn something, than do nothing. It is easy to stay home, but to better yourself? We go to training! Confidents is gain. Awareness is learn. Prevention is better than cure. .....At least we believe it is not stupid....Aloha

Latest Discussions