The First form/kata you created

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of the folks out here have created their own forms/katas for various reasons like testing requirements or just desire. I am wondering, the first one you created, what was your focus or goal with it? Did you pick a concept and just run with that, or just put all the things you liked in it? Were you pleased with the end result? Did it accomplish what you wanted to? I am just curious as to the experiences of others....

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
my first original kata was inspired by one of stephen barnes' books. the main character had a 'fitness kata' that included yoga-type stretches, acrobatics and calithstenics.

i built one of my own. included stretching, headstand into a handstand walk, pushups, dynamic tension strikes.... i had a lot of fun with that.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
For my first form, I wanted to cover two things. The 8 angles of attack and the four styles of fighting (punching, kicking, felling, and grappling). I thought that it came out pretty good. There are 8 attacker's that I placed in the form so the angles were covered. Each area of fighting is covered and I even got to throw in a backward roll and a diving forward roll. As a bonus, the form starts and ends in the same spot.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Easy Couch Potato Poomsae:
You Bow go to the couch undo your belt buckel, unzip your pants lay down on the couch pop open a beer, drink it then gurp and then turn over and go to sleep.
If done properly you can score a perfect 10 but no beer spillage is allowed and the burp has to be load enough for everyone to hear it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of the folks out here have created their own forms/katas for various reasons like testing requirements or just desire. I am wondering, the first one you created, what was your focus or goal with it? Did you pick a concept and just run with that, or just put all the things you liked in it? Were you pleased with the end result? Did it accomplish what you wanted to? I am just curious as to the experiences of others....

The only form that I've created was for my first degree black belt test. I had a set number of moves that I had to include in the kata. I started off by figuring out a pattern that I wanted to move in. Once that was accomplished, I then moved on to the techniques I wanted to use. IMHO, a kata should flow fluidly from one move to the next, so I felt that having the proper techniques was important. I also had to explain what I was doing in the kata.

While I could not have someone else create the kata for me, I did have someone to watch and offer suggestions.

I was happy with the end result. :)

Mike

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once in a while I have a group of instructors I know stop over for practice and a friendly get together. On one of these occasions sometime during the class a newer student asked where forms/karta came from and why we did them and all seemed to enjoy them so much,
To show how self-defense is the bases of many forms I asked the first person in line ( and the newest student) to give my a self-defense tech. We all did the tech till we knew it then the 2nd student gave one and we added it to the 1st. This went on till we had one tech from all the students from newest to highest ranked. At the end with a few tweaks to promote flow we had a karta of self defense techniques.
Actually I still teach that form and it has become a part of our system today

That was not the first I tried to make up for myslef but it is the only one that was any good

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
In several silat systems including the one I practice there is a tradition of making up your own form. But it's a lot more difficult than choreographing and performing. You have to make it up on the spot, spontaneously and unrehearsed. You just start and move within the principles and proper body mechanics. Stop when you're done. It's considered a very difficult test of skill and the degree to which you've internalized your practice.

There are also some serious headgames involved. If it's before a friendly or not-so-friendly bout it lets others see what you do and how you do it. This gives you the opportunity to put in "mistakes" to trap the other guy or paper over your shortcomings. Of course he knows that you know that he knows....

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once in a while I have a group of instructors I know stop over for practice and a friendly get together. On one of these occasions sometime during the class a newer student asked where forms/karta came from and why we did them and all seemed to enjoy them so much,
To show how self-defense is the bases of many forms I asked the first person in line ( and the newest student) to give my a self-defense tech. We all did the tech till we knew it then the 2nd student gave one and we added it to the 1st. This went on till we had one tech from all the students from newest to highest ranked. At the end with a few tweaks to promote flow we had a karta of self defense techniques.
Actually I still teach that form and it has become a part of our system today

That was not the first I tried to make up for myslef but it is the only one that was any good

Interesting. Sounds like maybe the way some of the older/traditional forms may have evolved, also.

cubankenpo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi bro
I think everybody must create its own form covering its needs of working , but when u get a category into the martial Art u can create it cause u r getting exp.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very interesting thread. :asian:

My first form, as some other people's, kind of just evolved. For about 3 1/2 years I trained simultaneously in Shaolin Kempo and Kung Fu San Soo. This made the differences glaring, as one day I'd go to one studio, and the next day the other. These are very different arts, both in practice and philosophy (which I won't drag you through here :)). Let's just say one had more finesse and the other more body movement to generate power.

Seeing strengths and not-so strengths in both, I began to wonder if they could ever be blended. My first original fighting form (did a purely self defense form a couple of years before) grew out of this question. The form used the KFSS 8 basic foot movements, with blocks and strikes from both arts built on top of this. Each stance combined with one block flowing into a natural counter strike is Short Form 1; taken to three counter strikes, some hidden, some counter traps or throws or grabs, it becomes Long Form 1. I use it with students to reinforce basics from beginning to intermediate level, while also offering a fairly complete fighting package that's easily practiced.

We're now experimenting with bunkai as The Way of Kata suggests, and also in the Iain Abernethy mold. It's a blast! And the best part: I get to learn the most. Have always bought into Seneca's aphorism: A man, as long as he teaches, learns. (I know it's sexist, but please consider the times). Anyway, sure true for me. :ultracool

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm in the process of coming up with one at the moment. I'm working on using the concepts I use, the stance I'm developing and it's guard, and the attacks I use. My reasoning for creating it is complex, yet simple.
I've run across a couple jillion ways of barely tweaking a kata that makes it the same, yet makes you understand the form better. So, I'm working on a form that I could do all those with one form. I'm still developing it, but I have most of the bugs worked out. I'm also trying to imbed a stance and guard that I'm developing.
My spidey senses are tingling... I sense a new thread being posted.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm still developing it, but I have most of the bugs worked out.
I am almost willing to bet that in a few years you will look at the form as it is now and find even more tweaks to make on it . Somehow there is always something we miss or something that could be just a little different when we try to make up our own forms. I think it keeps us on our toes and our minds open to where we where and where we are at the moment

BTW good luck with it I would love to see a video of it when you feel you have
it

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first kata was inspired by a Uechi-ryu school in Virginia or West Virginia. I took a form they had created and changed it around into a new form. It was/is called 38 Special. Named for the 38 kicks that are in the kata. I created it for my students to use in competition. It was back in my pre-TKD days.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first kata was inspired by a Uechi-ryu school in Virginia or West Virginia. I took a form they had created and changed it around into a new form. It was/is called 38 Special. Named for the 38 kicks that are in the kata. I created it for my students to use in competition. It was back in my pre-TKD days.

38 Special. Love it! Do you still keep up with it?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Easy Couch Potato Poomsae:

If done properly you can score a perfect 10 but no beer spillage is allowed and the burp has to be load enough for everyone to hear it.

I can just hear your wife. "Nice Kihap!":drinkbeer

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We're required to create an open hand form and a weapon form for 1st degree BB. I've got a staff form that's structured around a four person attack. I don't necessarily like it and it will definitely evolve significantly before it's a final product.

IMO, creating forms and techniques just adds another layer of understanding to being a student and an instructor. I think everyone should have to do it at some point, it really takes a lot of thought about what you know and how it can be put together so that it makes sense, but also looks good from a performance aspect.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In Tracy kenpo we have a huge number of self defense techniques that make the bulk of our curriculum. Many of those techniques are found directly in the kata. Many of them are not. I created 4 kata to bring some of those missing techniques into the context of a kata. The reason I did that is because I personally find it easier to remember them all when they are in the context of a kata, rather than just floating around as a free piece of information. There are so many techniques that I have to carry a list around in order to remember them all to practice. I was hoping to eliminate that need by having a full series of kata.

The four that I created took care of all the techs for orange and purple belt. I estimated I would need to create about 8 or 9 more to cover all the material to first black. Never got that far.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
The four that I created took care of all the techs for orange and purple belt. I estimated I would need to create about 8 or 9 more to cover all the material to first black. Never got that far.

But you will, Michael. Lifetime journey, and all that. :)

And who knows that someday your filling in those 'gaps' might not become part of the curriculum?

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Tracy kenpo we have a huge number of self defense techniques that make the bulk of our curriculum. Many of those techniques are found directly in the kata. Many of them are not. I created 4 kata to bring some of those missing techniques into the context of a kata. The reason I did that is because I personally find it easier to remember them all when they are in the context of a kata, rather than just floating around as a free piece of information. There are so many techniques that I have to carry a list around in order to remember them all to practice. I was hoping to eliminate that need by having a full series of kata.

We have four "colored sets" that comprise all of the techniques and kicks learned up green belt. They're part of the requirement for 3rd degree brown. It's amazing when you realize that everything you've learned, except for katas, can be done in about 5 minutes...

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have four "colored sets" that comprise all of the techniques and kicks learned up green belt. They're part of the requirement for 3rd degree brown. It's amazing when you realize that everything you've learned, except for katas, can be done in about 5 minutes...

That's very cool. In my experience, though, it's also very unusual. Have I just lived a sheltered life?

Latest Discussions