Why who what

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why is it we have more *******s in Martial Arts than ever before?

Who did all these ******* get there training from?

What to do with all these ******* now since they have training?

Really My question are legitment here, today Martial art training is so verse that every person has had some kind of training, so why is it that alot of schools do not teach all the positive aspect of a Art and really focus more on how to bring pain to everybody.

I know MA is for fighting and most people want to feel they can really handle themself but do they need to be a prick and act like there **** does not stink! Can one be trained and still be tought to be a Lady or a Gentleman in this day and age?

Please we have alot of great people here that devote time and efforts into running school and so forth, but then again alot of teacher in MA only cares about teaching the rough side o fighting, what happen to walk away and only use what you know when need be.

This nis brought up because of the people court today, The gentleman kick the other guy car with a karate kick because the other guy said it was a 82 cadellac instead of a 92 and did about 2000.00 worth of damage and said his martial art training help with the damage tothe other guys car.What a bad message for all the other MA'ist out there.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I learnt all that from my parents. Maybe I was lucky or maybe it is as common as it should be, but my parents gave me values, principles and behaving education. Now coming from a Catholic country, these values and principle might be more on the catholic side, but I don't think in general line it is very different from Oriental religions.
On the other hand, if I go to a MA school I go there to learn MA, not things that are already in my personality.

Of course I talk this way because I think my parents did a great job in giving me themselves as a wonderful "model" to follow. I tend often to use my personal life as a general rule, thus I might be completely wrong and many people who go to a dojo need that sort of education...

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is a bad message and bad advertising for those who study an MA. I find there's so many people out there who have the wrong impression of Martial Artists to start with, I've had people ask "Why do you want to learn to hurt other people?", especially amongst the older generations, so we don't need these idiots making our press so much worse.

I've had my car kicked with panel damage recently too, I've seen a few young lads hanging around recently and I sometimes have to go out in my Dobuk as one of my classes doesn't have anywhere to change, so I expect it was them trying to prove something as my car is in a safe compound at work and all my neighbours are elderly. It really annoys and upsets me.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can one be trained and still be tought to be a Lady or a Gentleman in this day and age?

Thats really up to their parents and/or role models. It's not the job of a martial arts instructor to make someone be a nice person. Sure, it's a nice benefit, but it's not in their job description.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No point segregating martial artists from the rest of humanity.
Any rise in the number of jerks in martial arts is simply a side effect of rise of jerks in general. So better question, why do people suck more?

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
......So better question, why do people suck more?
Because they get away with it

.......What to do with all these ******* now since they have training?
I think we don't need to do anything: as the number of ****** increase, it is only a matter of time before any two collide (part of the 'yin' and 'yang' of the universe, I suppose).

No matter how 'tough' or 'bad' someone thinks they are, there is always SOMEONE tougher and badder. Nothing like a 'front end allignment' of your own, courtesy of someone else's foot, to make you think twice before kicking another person's vehicle.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Why more martial arts?

Man is still in the FIGHT or FLEE mode. (Humans).

We have more wars, fights,crimes, that will never end, because humans feel you need to fight back to win! Good against evil. (around the world)

Martial arts has expanded because each school produce students who want to teach, open their own schools, and it also becomes a BUSINESS.

Teach one student, who leave to to teach others (while your teacher starts over teaching another student)...you in turn do the same...each time it grows. Teaching is very rewarding, being a role model for others to follow.

Plant one tree and it will drop lots of seeds and than like weeds grow all over! Some trees will bear excellant fruits...some rotton fruits (like martial arts students).

There will always be NEW students (population is growing so fast)....the young grows old and leave.....the new students are hungry for knowledge...hope they pick the RIGHT fruit trees........Aloha

PS: It Hawaii it is the coconut trees that is popular! Mango trees too! aah and Banana too! (is this a tree) um?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why is it we have more *******s in Martial Arts than ever before?

Who did all these ******* get there training from?

What to do with all these ******* now since they have training?

Really My question are legitment here, today Martial art training is so verse that every person has had some kind of training, so why is it that alot of schools do not teach all the positive aspect of a Art and really focus more on how to bring pain to everybody.

I know MA is for fighting and most people want to feel they can really handle themself but do they need to be a prick and act like there **** does not stink! Can one be trained and still be tought to be a Lady or a Gentleman in this day and age?

Please we have alot of great people here that devote time and efforts into running school and so forth, but then again alot of teacher in MA only cares about teaching the rough side o fighting, what happen to walk away and only use what you know when need be.

This nis brought up because of the people court today, The gentleman kick the other guy car with a karate kick because the other guy said it was a 82 cadellac instead of a 92 and did about 2000.00 worth of damage and said his martial art training help with the damage tothe other guys car.What a bad message for all the other MA'ist out there.
Stop holding back. Tell us how you really feel.:)
Sean

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
respectfully, terry, i don't agree with your original premise.

do you remember training in the eighties? home of the 'smashmouth era' and the 'dungeon dojos'? it was you in a room with 6 guys with a testosterone stink you could cut with a knife. all they cared about was whether or not they could kick some dude's ***. there was little or no focus on martial arts as a means of developing the mind and spirit. it was a fight club, run by thugs. skilled thugs, but thugs nonetheless.

when was the last time you heard about a dojo owner burglarizing/burning down/blowing up another dojo owner's school? or challenging another owner? that nonsense is (and should be) a thing of the past. we've moved on.

far as i can tell, the entire culture has evolved immensely over the past twenty years. most teachers now seem to focus on martial arts as a means of personal evolution, rather than as how to win your next bar fight.

i think you're noticing the *******s now because they stand out. back in the day that behavior was the norm. in many cases, it was how you got a black belt.

my two cents. nothing more.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

It is a bad message, although, with the person's lack of self control, I have to question the real level of his training. However, it does not look good for the martial arts community. In fact on more than one occasion I have been insulted because someone would make the comment "Oooh, I better not make you mad, or you will kick my ***" or have heard them tell that to someone else. They think they are being funny, but it is a major insult to me. However, that comes from a perceived view of people in martial arts and that guy isn't helping matters at all.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
respectfully, terry, i don't agree with your original premise.

do you remember training in the eighties? home of the 'smashmouth era' and the 'dungeon dojos'? it was you in a room with 6 guys with a testosterone stink you could cut with a knife. all they cared about was whether or not they could kick some dude's ***. there was little or no focus on martial arts as a means of developing the mind and spirit. it was a fight club, run by thugs. skilled thugs, but thugs nonetheless.

when was the last time you heard about a dojo owner burglarizing/burning down/blowing up another dojo owner's school? or challenging another owner? that nonsense is (and should be) a thing of the past. we've moved on.

far as i can tell, the entire culture has evolved immensely over the past twenty years. most teachers now seem to focus on martial arts as a means of personal evolution, rather than as how to win your next bar fight.

i think you're noticing the *******s now because they stand out. back in the day that behavior was the norm. in many cases, it was how you got a black belt.

my two cents. nothing more.

You know you bring up some very great points and you are probaly right about alot of them but, when I trainedw with my father and yes he was bestilling all that I have in me along with training how to beat the crap out of people and again you are right about today they stand out more with all the feel good school. I appreciate these views Bushidomartialarts.
Thank you

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back in the stone age when I first trained, if a person claimed to have a certain rank in whatever system, many times it could be verified by a phone call. Often it was proven on the floor by any who might challenge the legitimacy of the rank. Frauds where closed down, period.
Now with all the laws and people in court with law suits everyone for anything it is a little harder to close down someone or to even say they are a fraud.
I know schools within short driving distances that have phony documents on the walls. But the instructors are good talkers and know enough to watch people who have some knowledge then go back to class and modify what they have seen a little and call it their learning. They also give rank rather fast and to some whom other schools might not think have enough knowledge to hold that rank ( but that is always a personal thing)

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'm actually really looking forward to the next generation of martial artists. guys like us, we came up with the badasses and sort of found another way.

the next bunch of teachers will have come up from the start in the positivity of modern dojos. that promises to be pretty darn spiffy.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back in the stone age when I first trained, if a person claimed to have a certain rank in whatever system, many times it could be verified by a phone call. Often it was proven on the floor by any who might challenge the legitimacy of the rank. Frauds where closed down, period.
Now with all the laws and people in court with law suits everyone for anything it is a little harder to close down someone or to even say they are a fraud.
I know schools within short driving distances that have phony documents on the walls. But the instructors are good talkers and know enough to watch people who have some knowledge then go back to class and modify what they have seen a little and call it their learning. They also give rank rather fast and to some whom other schools might not think have enough knowledge to hold that rank ( but that is always a personal thing)

again, i'm not certain i agree. the industry has evolved enough that verifying somebody's legitimacy is even easier than before. a google search will tell you all you need to know. i meet a prospective student, he googles me that night, finds out about the 3 organizations who recognize my rank and maybe even some articles i've written.

before it was easier for a charlatan to slip through the cracks. also, the public was far less sophisticated then. i think, like the jackasses, we see more now because they're noticable. back in even the 80s, you'd have no way of knowing whether or not those certificates were legitimate.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
social darwinism.
why? we are a soceity based around the bottom line in your wallet. some knuckle head goes, "ohh, i have a black belt in X, i could teach X, and make some good cash!"

Who? were ver it's not stopped

what? good question.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ahhhh, back in the day. When the Korean Masters would go behind the bleachers of the gyms during tournaments and settle their differences right there on the spot. I, for one, do not miss those days. Nor do I miss the idiots who wandered into my school looking to build a name for themselves. Nope, as bad as it might be right now it is still a lot better than it was.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahhhh, back in the day. When the Korean Masters would go behind the bleachers of the gyms during tournaments and settle their differences right there on the spot. I, for one, do not miss those days. Nor do I miss the idiots who wandered into my school looking to build a name for themselves. Nope, as bad as it might be right now it is still a lot better than it was.

So Wade... here's my question. I've not heard that much about the master karateka of Japan doing this behind-the-bleachers thing. Or China, or Indonesia. (I know about the wandering `knights-errant' challenge matches in Japan, but that rarely happened between the dojo masters themselves, so far as I know). What was different about Korean martial artists??

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well Exile, after looking at your profile I'm not really sure I want to comment on this because it will definitely come out as racist and there are way too many people with a lot more knowledge about this than I can ever have so maybe one of them, like the Chief Master can give you a more educated answer than I can. I only said what I said because I have seen it and been involved in it. I've tried to write my response 3 times now and it's still not coming out right. So!, any help out there?

Latest Discussions