How do your forms/katas progress?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and the jump is in response to some one trying to kick or leg sweep me, they cant leg sweep me and grab my leg with their hand at the same time, even then you are not pulling some one over at two foot distance, you would need to wrap your arm around the leg, just grabbing an ankle is not enough purchase
A jump from kicking distance to someone's chest isn't small. And if they are already grabbing at your leg, then grabbing at your leg is pretty much the same thing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A jump from kicking distance to someone's chest isn't small. And if they are already grabbing at your leg, then grabbing at your leg is pretty much the same thing.
3,foot or so is a small jump, i can clear 10 with a standing jump at my age

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you considered there may be a major disconnect between you and reality? Why do you study MA? Do you think that only you and your art are of any worth? I wouldn't agree with that if you do. But you are welcome to you opinion.

And as to knife fighting ... I hope I never have to defend myself against a knife attack. But if I do, I am happy to know I won't just have to stand there and be sliced and diced. Will every technique work every time against every opponent? No guarantees. But in Hapkido we are accustomed to having to be fast and accurate. We tend to move into an attack; fast and accurate are much needed. Sorry you got cut, that couldn't have been any fun. Also sorry you had no defenses and lacked the speed then to defend yourself.

Have you considered studying another art?
I've expressed my feelings about ma being ,faith based rather than sciences based before. the reality of fighting is its science, as such you must be able to prove that something works and be able to quantify its effectiveness against known variables. Here is a limit to how far you can take that with out some study and a lab but certainly you can critically assess the techneque and classify it by reliability, effectiveness and by consequence if it fails.

clearly all techniques will work against some people, the old, the chronic unfit, the blind, but you need to be,a bit more discerning than that, before you put faith in it and at least envisage some average strong fit healthy person as an adversary , if a techneque isn't very reliable, very effective and low risk against that class of person, ie most people, then all your dedication has made you no better than average.

I'm old being average is a good standard for me and that's why i do ma, to keep my self above average, techniques that don't do that are no use to me

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've expressed my feelings about ma being ,faith based rather than sciences based before. the reality of fighting is its science, as such you must be able to prove that something works and be able to quantify its effectiveness against known variables. Here is a limit to how far you can take that with out some study and a lab but certainly you can critically assess the techneque and classify it by reliability, effectiveness and by consequence if it fails.

clearly all techniques will work against some people, the old, the chronic unfit, the blind, but you need to be,a bit more discerning than that, before you put faith in it and at least envisage some average strong fit healthy person as an adversary , if a techneque isn't very reliable, very effective and low risk against that class of person, ie most people, then all your dedication has made you no better than average.

I'm old being average is a good standard for me and that's why i do ma, to keep my self above average, techniques that don't do that are no use to me

Fortunately I seem to have missed the bolded and underlined part.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fortunately I seem to have missed the bolded and underlined part.
it was amongst others, in the ma is a cult discussion, your cult leader tells you it works and you believe him, despite obvious evidence to the contrary, much the sane with flat earthers

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
it was amongst others, in the ma is a cult discussion, your cult leader tells you it works and you believe him, despite obvious evidence to the contrary, much the sane with flat earthers

You're kidding right?! You think there is evidence against a flat earth? :D

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do Kenpo Karate so we have different Kata like we have short one and long one and short 2 long 2 then short 3 long 3 each kata is diiferent

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're kidding right?! You think there is evidence against a flat earth? :D
i find flat earthers fascinating, they post videos of themselves,giving their views and justifcations to those views, most don't seem educationally subnormal, quite the opposite, they seem like normal everyday people with houses that suggest they had a reasonable income and therefore responsible jobs.

its just somehow they have,convinced themselves that physics is wrong and they can therfore discount any,scientific principle that doesn't agree with their view, they seem to have taken particular exception to gravity, but all and every science law, theory or hypothesis that doesn't support them is wrong and to compensate they just make up their own that,agree with a) the bible and or what they can experience themselves, they don't feel the world turning, therefore it doesn't turn.

there is more than a passing resemblance to ma, in that it starts of with a belief that the old masters were right and that any pesky law of motion that throws doubt on that can be ignored

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
We have 5 basic katas that are short collections of useful techniques. We then have around 16 or so advanced katas that each cover different concepts, all of which are physically demanding in their own way. The remaining few are advanced yet physically less demanding, suitable for older practitioners and usually only required for higher dan tests.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
resemblance to ma, in that it starts of with a belief that the old masters were right and that any pesky law of motion that throws doubt on that can be ignored
I agree with most of your post, but the quoted conclusion above is flawed as it misses a couple of points. I will say it's true when talking about some self-styled "masters" that abound these days. Not so true about the old, true, masters at least re: Okinawan karate. It may be true that other MA's were designed to harmonize with philosophical or commercial considerations, but I'm not addressing those and will stick with what I know best.

Those real karate experts learned from professional warriors and they did not train for sport or hobby. Their techniques were designed for combat and were pressure tested in that context. Choki Motobu and others were in many street fights. The problem (and I'm not denying it exists) you are describing should not be attributed to those masters or their fighting system. The fault lies in the interpretation and execution of those techniques by those who do not understand them.

As karate went public, the emphasis on teaching switched from fighting to general exercise. The advent of competitive sport karate further removed the originally designed application of moves from the system to favor those that score points. Some important stuff was left behind, or at least, not properly taught and passed on.

By now, Jobo, you (should) have learned enough, here, about kata and their techniques, to realize that their design and function are misunderstood by many. Much like the "flat earthers" you talk about. Four or five hundred years, everyone thought the earth was flat and the center of the universe. But once the solar system's true nature was understood, they began to see the correct application of natural laws in it and changed their perception. We should all be so open minded. Just because we don't understand something doesn't mean it ain't so.