Creating New Katas...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How many people out there have created their own katas? What were the circumstances leading to the new creation, and how did you decide what techniques the kata would contain? I know that at least some of the Kenpo lineages have a kata creation requirement for blackbelt rank, but I wonder about other arts as well. Who has done it? Please share the experience.

I created four a few years back. In Kenpo, many of the kata are made up of self defense techniques, but many of the self defense techniques are not found in any of the kata. I created some kata to contain these other techniques, because I find it easier to remember to practice techniques in the context of a kata, rather than as individual techniques. My purpose was to make it easier to remember all the self defense techniques in the system. I never completed all that I wanted to, but keep it on my list of things to do.

I would love to hear other people's experiences with this.

Michael

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to create one for my 1st degree BB test. I started out by mapping out a general direction in which I wanted to move. I then began the planning of what movements I wanted to include. Having it make sense as well as having it flow smoothly is important, so I had to make sure that all movements fit together in the proper fashion. In addition to SD techniques, other moves were added in to help with transition.

All in all it was a mentally challengeing segment of the test.

Mike

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Creating a Kata is a Black Belt requirement at most Kenpo schools.

Additionally, we had to create "mass-attacks" for starting at 2nd Brown Belt. These were mini katas against 4-man, 6-man, and 8-man for 2nd Brown, 1st Brown, and 1st Black respectively. We executed these full-speed with kiais in the air and also had to be able to do them with multiple Uke's. We were not to use standard techniques -- but to create our own using our favorite technique elements and basics combinations.

We also had to do a "Star" for Black Belt with Kicks going forward and back, blocks going back and forward, parries going to the right and then back to center, and strikes going left and back to the center -- all executed full-speed with Kiais. This is another mini-kata.

Finally, we had to do a "Thesis Kata". These could be empty hand or weapons. Mine was self-defense techniques with a cane.

In all of these, you showcase your strengths, incorporate your favorite moves, and challenge yourself with some movements or transitions that you need to improve.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess the other question I should have asked is this: after you created your kata, did you maintain it and continue to practice it as a standard part of your training, or did you let it go at some point?

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Creating a Kata is a Black Belt requirement at most Kenpo schools.

Additionally, we had to create "mass-attacks" for starting at 2nd Brown Belt. These were mini katas against 4-man, 6-man, and 8-man for 2nd Brown, 1st Brown, and 1st Black respectively. We executed these full-speed with kiais in the air and also had to be able to do them with multiple Uke's. We were not to use standard techniques -- but to create our own using our favorite technique elements and basics combinations.

We also had to do a "Star" for Black Belt with Kicks going forward and back, blocks going back and forward, parries going to the right and then back to center, and strikes going left and back to the center -- all executed full-speed with Kiais. This is another mini-kata.

Finally, we had to do a "Thesis Kata". These could be empty hand or weapons. Mine was self-defense techniques with a cane.

In all of these, you showcase your strengths, incorporate your favorite moves, and challenge yourself with some movements or transitions that you need to improve.

Very similar to our kenpo system. An open hand form and a weapon form are required for BB, as well as 2, 3, and 4 man self defense techniques. I've completed my staff form and now use it in competition.

As for whether or not they stay in the system, the student must learn their BB instructors form. The really good ones are incorporated into the system and learned by all future students.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I guess the other question I should have asked is this: after you created your kata, did you maintain it and continue to practice it as a standard part of your training, or did you let it go at some point?

I continued to refine and add to it for a few years. By the time I got my 2nd Black, it was much better.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I once had a group of instructors from a couple systems and their students at my school for a day of fun and learning. Near the end of the day I had them line up in a radom order but basicly from lowest to highest rank and had the first person give me a selfdefence move which we all practiced, then the next and so on. All the moves where repeated in the order they where given with perhaps only a turn in direction added to them. The end results was a nice karta that went from simple to complex and yes I still teach that form because of the brotherhood that created it

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:

Nope, I let it go. I wanted to keep my focus on required material.

Mike

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
I once had a group of instructors from a couple systems and their students at my school for a day of fun and learning. Near the end of the day I had them line up in a radom order but basicly from lowest to highest rank and had the first person give me a selfdefence move which we all practiced, then the next and so on. All the moves where repeated in the order they where given with perhaps only a turn in direction added to them. The end results was a nice karta that went from simple to complex and yes I still teach that form because of the brotherhood that created it

I like that story. Very good.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is also a good tool for putting something different into any gathering of different schools so people remember what happned that day

T

TheBattousai

I practice jiyu kata (freestyle), the keys to having good kata is having good visualization, bunkai, and mushin.Visualization is nescesary for inn kata because you need to see the attackers and be able to respond according to the movements of the opponents in your kata.Bunkai (analyzation), is very important because you have to be able to see if the movements you just demonstrated in your kata are techniquely sound and are possible in a real situation. Mushin (lit. "no mind") is needed so that you move freely without outside interferance that would be a distraction in a real fight and learning to move freely is without worry about what technique you have or haven't done, but just moving is what is important. As for maybe focusing on some principle threw a kata, setting limitation is good too, like keri kata (kicking), koken kata (hard fist), five animal, juho kata (throwing), or sanchin kat (lit. three battle but used for hard ki training).

vincehardy3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is a good question. I train in the internal martial arts, and there are several things that we have to take into consideration when practicing and developing new forms. First, we must figure out the principle that will govern the form (i.e., angular techniques that allow defender to blend with opponent). Secondly, the flow of energy (ki/chi) must compliment the principle and the technique. Thirdly, the footwork is the physical representation of the principle, and as you can see it gets to be a little complicated. Next, bunkai (sp) or form breakdown must be taken into consideration. There are four levels of breakdown for any given kata/form. In simple terms the first level of breakdown is the obvious level—a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick. The second level the practitioner looks at how the technique can be applied as a chin na (joint manipulation) or throwing technique. An example, the backward or re-chambering motion of a punch can be used for an elbow strike or joint manipulation. Thirdly, you look to see if you can pull striking techniques out of movements that are used for joint manipulation. Lastly, is the point striking techniques—these hurt. Kata/forms development is very involved, and it just isn’t a bunch of movements that are thrown together. The katas/forms are the language of any given system, and carry the history of that system. These are just some thoughts. I apologize if I got a little too carried away.

Have a good one,

Vincent
(Yiliquan Association)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What you say is true for some forms, other forms are just what they seem to be, a punch is a piunch and intended to be a punch and a throw is a throw It depends almost intirely on the system and who created the form. Anyone can interpit it differently but the person creating it is the only one that knows what he intended people to get out of the form

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
What you say is true for some forms, other forms are just what they seem to be, a punch is a piunch and intended to be a punch and a throw is a throw It depends almost intirely on the system and who created the form. Anyone can interpit it differently but the person creating it is the only one that knows what he intended people to get out of the form

Could not have said it any better.
Terry

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Kata's are prearrange fighting sequences. It is a part of our martial art training which was past down from our elders.

In todays world...street fights are unpredictable and no one will fight like a prearrange movements. Things change in a fight all the time. Don't get carry away by these prearrange movements...be ready to change at every turn and step!

but in class it is a requirment...us too..we must learn and study the Kata's and movements.

Your thoughts will change on this when you read ( Attack Proof) get this book...it will wake you up on the way you train...it did for me...

Read this book (ATTACK PROOF), it is only one book and some ideas on fighting......real fighting and attacks.....can this affect your way of training? READ IT and than decide.............Aloha

Latest Discussions