The always useful front kick

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's funny how we took for granted the front kick, the basic and easy front kick. In my dojang we performed front kicks in the basics we do but we don't use it ofthen because the round house,the side kick and the back kick are "better" than the front kick to get points or what ever.

I use a lot the front kick in one step kyorugi and self defense scenarios, it's so simple to perform and can be so quick. No matter if I uset it as a distraction, a feint or just to drive my foot bal trough the groin area or the stomach , this kick is a good one.

Manny

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's funny how we took for granted the front kick, the basic and easy front kick. In my dojang we performed front kicks in the basics we do but we don't use it ofthen because the round house,the side kick and the back kick are "better" than the front kick to get points or what ever.

Manny
This is because they are harder to see. That's good on the street, but bad when trying to impress judges.
sean

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is my favorite kick in self defense.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It can still be preformed in high heels and skirt...and have satisfactory results..

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
front snap or front push kick are both great! Besides being very effective, I like that they can both be easily adapted for close work by using the knee instead of the foot.

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score

I use a lot the front kick in one step kyorugi and self defense scenarios, it's so simple to perform and can be so quick. No matter if I uset it as a distraction, a feint or just to drive my foot bal trough the groin area or the stomach , this kick is a good one.

Manny

Maybe this is something to take in consideration. What else are you missing by practicing the sport side of Tae Kwon Do?

Stonecold

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In Kickboxing the lead leg front kick is used like a boxer uses his jab, the rear leg is like the cross.
front kick is great on the street as well, it's quick, easy to hide & can be delivered from close in & unsean

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is one of the easiest kicks to learn and deliver thoughout your life.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
front snap or front push kick are both great! Besides being very effective, I like that they can both be easily adapted for close work by using the knee instead of the foot.
I wouldn't use the term adapt. Its really about different weapons for different ranges using the same basic motion.
sean

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't see the front thrust kick used at all where I train, which disappointments me. It seems so useful if for nothing else than to instantly create some space by pushing your opponent back.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't see the front thrust kick used at all where I train, which disappointments me. It seems so useful if for nothing else than to instantly create some space by pushing your opponent back.

I think in most applications it's replaced by a side or back kick, from the mechanics they have a slight advantage over a front thrust...

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Manny

The Front Kick is the most important kick. It should be the most accurate, fastest, most polished kick in everyone's arsenal. It should be the kick you throw more than any other. For one simple reason.

You're opponent should be in front of you.

Yes, rear kicks and side kicks and hooks and crescents are all useful, powerful kicks. But the opponent should be standing in front of you and you should be in a fighting stance. If either of those things are not true, you should make them true immediately. You may be ambushed, you may be surrounded. But you need to face the man you intend to defeat. Each, individually, with all of your attention at every moment.

I am not saying you will never throw a back or side kick. Certainly I do all the time. I'm not saying the fighting stance has to be a perfect neutral bow, or L stance, or guard position. I'm not even saying your opponent won't get behind you, or you won't have to face more than one opponent at a time. But you must be fighting from your stance. And you must be facing each opponent with everything that you are.

And when you are facing your opponent, you're front kick is the shortest distance between your foot and his first most vital target. It requires no twisting, no turning, and no pivoting. It is a simple lift and extend. It is a motion you do every step you take, every day of your life.

It should be a devastating move, to any target, delivered with absolute conviction. To the leading lower shin of the opponent it can jam a rushing maneuver. To the inside of the knee it can crush the joint outward, folding the leg over sideways. To the inner thigh, stop a roundhouse kick in mid flight. You can strike the groin to cause pain, the hip girdle to collapse your opponent forward, or the bladder to accomplish both. You can break ribs, rupture organs, and even stop the heart.

The front kick can do all these things. And more. The same kick to the back of the knee has a completely different effect than to the front or side of it. Snapping the kick has a different effect from thrusting it. Are you striking forward with the kick, or upward? Chambering or sweeping? Landing forward or back?

The front kick is the lead hand jab of the lower body. It is not simply one kick among many. It is the kick. It may not have the most potential power. It may not have the greatest range, or height. But it is one of the core moves of your fighting arsenal, and deserves its place in any combination of strikes.

Master the front kick. In its simplicity lies a delivering grace.

-Rob

Latest Discussions