TKD is not flying-jumping and spining kicks

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I little older and a a little smarter. A few nights ago I asked myself why an over weight 40 years man do TKD, TKD is a dinamic MA where high spining jumping kicks are required to be a good practicioner/aprentice.

I can't jump, I can't do flying flashing kicks, I can do spining kicks, however from a mature man way of view or thinking, jumping flying or performing three kicks in a row in a flying pattern is not crucial.

My combo of good kicks are the front kick, the roundhouse kick, the back kick, the spining back kick, the axe kick and in some ways (need to improve it) the hook kick, all these kicks can be devastating if perfomed well without the jumping/flying moves. My punches are good even I have to restric them to chest,stomach,ribs,solar plexus but know that a good hook to the jaw of my oponent can knocked out or maybe a rapid jab can cut the foe.

Every time I see a video of koreans doing amaizing kicks I wish I could do them too but then I realice I'm not a flexible teen, with the speed to perform those kicks.

For these matters I tend to focus my kicksc to the mid section, my siping back kick can be devastating, my front kick to the plexus can do harm, a round house to the ribs can crushed them.

High kicks?? well I have to practice more, the ax kicks is good, however the hook kick and the round house kicks to the head it's a little harder to me.

I love to trow my mid section kicks repertory coupled with punches ohhhh yessssss.

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flash is for demo's, low powerful kicks are for S.D. so you are practicing S.D. congrats and those mid level kick win alot more often then people think at tournaments.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's true, a high kick to head if not performed well the BG can grab it and knock one's to the floor, but a spining back kick is very hard to block and the blow is so hard that the BG will fly tothe floor, a good front kick to the groin or even the blader must to hurt a lot and a shin trougth the ribs can do a lot of damage.

Mi interest in TKD is to know how to defend myself, I'm not interested in how many cemet blocks I can break, not interested in how high I can kick, no sir my interest is to understand the principles of SD/MA and how to combine the blocks/dodges/locks/punches/kicks for disrupt an oponent.

Yes I know I can't kick high but this not take my sleep away, the youngers with good coordination,strength,stamina and a lot of lexibility and control can jump like leopards, I'm like a bear but weavere of the bear!!!

Manny

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
...but a spining back kick is very hard to block...

Hard to block perhaps, but not hard to avoid. It is a fairly slow kick, and if you are telegraphing or you haven't set up your opponent, you will get charged and pounded when you start your spin.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spinning, jumping, and flying kicks are part of TKD, true - but they are not a very big part, except, as Terry said, in demonstrations. Yes, all students are required to learn them - but age, size, weight, physical condition, injuries, etc., will impact a person's ability to perform them, and such concerns should be considered by the instructor when teaching them and during testings. There are a few turning/spinning kicks I might use, should an appropriate opening arise, in self-defense, but in general, I would not use spinning or jumping/flying kicks in self-defense.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spinning, jumping, and flying kicks are part of TKD, true - but they are not a very big part,

Then why is it that most of the time when you see a TKD student outside of the school he/she will be doing one of these kicks most of the time if they are practicing
not trying to start a warhere but lets face it that is what most people see TKD people practicing

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then why is it that most of the time when you see a TKD student outside of the school he/she will be doing one of these kicks most of the time if they are practicing
not trying to start a warhere but lets face it that is what most people see TKD people practicing

Because it looks alot better than someone showing off a kick to the outer thigh. Flash is precieved as being what is the root of TKD, people are like awe look that gay or girl can really kick, hell my own son does all those kicks just to impress people but he knows that flash is for shows and demo's the meat and potatoes of TKD is the S.D principle we work on everyday. I hope that helps.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know I was just trying to rile some people up :)

I think Manny has a good approach to what he is studying and a good perception of what he will be able to do and use if he ever needs to defend himself with TKD.
Keep to the basics they are what made the art in the beginning and what every study should practice more than the fancy stuff

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know I was just trying to rile some people up :)

I think Manny has a good approach to what he is studying and a good perception of what he will be able to do and use if he ever needs to defend himself with TKD.
Keep to the basics they are what made the art in the beginning and what every study should practice more than the fancy stuff

Sir I knew you knew but was just doing my part here on MT and that is filling that void called actual posting with information about something that somebody could actually understand that was not in the last person thread where all the post whores hang out. Man say that five times fast with a mouth full of ice cream.:asian:

DojangMom

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know. I saw video of one of my instructors in a tournament where he performed a jumping back kick that knocked his opponent flat on his rear. I was impressed ... but, then again, at this stage of my MA training, it really doesn't take much to impress me. :D

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mi interest in TKD is to know how to defend myself, I'm not interested in how many cemet blocks I can break, not interested in how high I can kick, no sir my interest is to understand the principles of SD/MA and how to combine the blocks/dodges/locks/punches/kicks for disrupt an oponent.
Manny

Then your in the wrong martial art. TKD is more sport oriented then self defense oriented. All the flashy kicks are impractical for street fighting. Leaves you to vulnerable to groin strikes.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then your in the wrong martial art. TKD is more sport oriented then self defense oriented. All the flashy kicks are impractical for street fighting. Leaves you to vulnerable to groin strikes.

Please do not speak of which you do not know. TKD is not all about sport, there are still plenty of S.D, principle TKD schools out there. Why does everyone generlized TKD. Alot of Martial Art have the sport side to it, like Karate, Kung-Fu, Wushu, BJJ, MMA and the rest of them. TKD can stand up to all arts in the form of S.D. if you are witht he right instructor.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Every TKD school that I have seen ephasizes high kicks to the head that leaves your groin open for attack or your base leg vulnerable for a sweep. Yes, kung fu can be sport oriented to but IMO kung fu is better suited for self defense because it is about 60% hand technique and 40% kicking where as if I were guessing TKD is 80% kicks and 20% hand tech.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please do not speak of which you do not know. TKD is not all about sport, there are still plenty of S.D, principle TKD schools out there. Why does everyone generlized TKD. Alot of Martial Art have the sport side to it, like Karate, Kung-Fu, Wushu, BJJ, MMA and the rest of them. TKD can stand up to all arts in the form of S.D. if you are witht he right instructor.

Every TKD school that I have seen ephasizes high kicks to the head that leaves your groin open for attack or your base leg vulnerable for a sweep. Yes, kung fu can be sport oriented to but IMO kung fu is better suited for self defense because it is about 60% hand technique and 40% kicking where as if I were guessing TKD is 80% kicks and 20% hand tech.

No one is disputing that that's what you've seen - however, those of us who train and teach TKD differently than that are disputing the generalization you've made from what you've seen. Do I teach my students to kick to the head? Yes... and I also teach them to kick to the knees. It's all about what's open at the time. Would I kick to the head in a SD situation? Not unless the person's head was below my hips - and I know how to get him there.... and I teach my students that too.

Browse through the TKD forum, and you'll see numerous discussion of just this issue; we're not trying to rag on you - just point out that our experiences are different than yours.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

No at my school and my instructor it is about a 50/50 split, there are those of us that have been here longer then the sport.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
So tell me a little bit about TKD such as blocking method. Is it circular blocking or more power vs. power when blocking? What does your forms look like are they linear or do they go in all directions? I think if I'm not mistaken that TSD is more linear.

Latest Discussions