troubles with high roundhouse kick

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I saw a recent video of Master Jeong with Metin Satin from Turkey (btw....Jeong broke Stain's nose at the 85 Worlds!!!). Satin was holding paddles for high Turning Kicks & Spin Hooks Kicks for left and right legs. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeong can still kick like a beast in his age. He is by far the most technically sound player there ever was, but his timing was the best as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I saw a recent video of Master Jeong with Metin Satin from Turkey (btw....Jeong broke Stain's nose at the 85 Worlds!!!). Satin was holding paddles for high Turning Kicks & Spin Hooks Kicks for left and right legs. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeong can still kick like a beast in his age. He is by far the most technically sound player there ever was, but his timing was the best as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should see him hit a golf ball. It's in the same league as his kicks.

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
WOW!!! I also heard the Master Jeong played Volleyball prior to Taekwondo. He just one of those people who can master anything if he puts his mind to it!!!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
WOW!!! I also heard the Master Jeong played Volleyball prior to Taekwondo. He just one of those people who can master anything if he puts his mind to it!!!

He was a volleyball player but was told he was too short (5'8") to be competitive. So he began focusing on Taekwondo competition around age 14 or so. He won his first world championship at age 19 or 20, and the Olympic gold at 26 or 27. Athletes in China follow a similar path. Generally Taekwondo isn't their first choice of sport, but usually is a second choice after being discouraged or frustrated in another sport.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, I asked him what was his secret and he said that he went for face kicks when he competed internationally, something some of the other competitors from Korea weren't doing. This included roundhouse kick to the face.

gstat2

White Belt
Reaction score
Most kicks never , or should never go as high as the head. As my Sifu told me ," Your legs are for standing on ." . Once your leg leaves the ground you are at a disadvantage against someone who is your equal. If you want to see something interesting , go to youtube and check the Thai volleyball game called " Takraw." .Then think about what you are doing with your kicking ...

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
So...
Youre saying that Thai Martial Arts only teach Kicks so they can hit Bamboo Volleyballs?

Latest Discussions