TKD is not flying-jumping and spining kicks

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a younger guy at 22. I will admit I throw my share of flash kicks. Jump spin hook, Jump side into jump spin hook, all those fun things, but if I am sparring, I will usually stick to the basics and just combo them up. :headbangin:

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Do my ***, looks more like MMA.

Tae Kwon Do is very good, ANY MARTIAL ART IS VERY GOOD! It really depends on the fighter and what you are taught. JadeDragon3 you're kinda being ignorant.

I just calls em' like I sees em'.

That particular TKD school that I posted teaches Krav Maga as well as TKD. Master Eric Moberly has three other schools that teach TKD only. And no you are wrong, ANY martial art is good is just not true. Do you think that capoera(sp?) is good? It's very impractical, almost all the kicks are done from a handstand position. It might be good as far as exercise but for martial combat its very bad.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD as taught in the USA may has changed over the last 40 years. Back in the 1960's sparring in many TKD schools involved heavy contact. If you look at the history of professional "karate" in this country you will see many of the early champions where from TKD.

Sport, Olympic or non Olympic, and being child and family friendly has cause much change over the years but what is taught can be very devastating when taught not as a sport but as a means of survival.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy the high flying kicks, and while not effective for SD. Being able to do them, means that my body is in excellent shape. I would never use them in a fight, but being able to perform them could mean that I am in much better condition to win the fight than someone else that can't. Takes alot of conditioning and leg strength to pull off some of those kicks. Imagine how much power my front and side kick would have.

Inugami

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just calls em' like I sees em'.

That particular TKD school that I posted teaches Krav Maga as well as TKD. Master Eric Moberly has three other schools that teach TKD only. And no you are wrong, ANY martial art is good is just not true. Do you think that capoera(sp?) is good? It's very impractical, almost all the kicks are done from a handstand position. It might be good as far as exercise but for martial combat its very bad.

wow you're stupid, THATS NOT A MARTIAL ART.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All the TKD I've seen looked pretty usless for real fighting.

You have never seen any TKD from the texas Allen Steen lineage, clearly.

and by the way Hoss, you should be carefull, statements like:
"ANY martial art is good is just not true." show how much you dont know, rather than how much you DO know.

the art doesnt make the fight, the fighter makes the art.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I really don't think this should have turned into a donnybrook "my art is better... " argument. All martial arts, are made up of some form of kicking/punching. Some of them have added in grappling, and joint/pressure point strikes etc. However, the basis for all of them are very similar. So to say one is completely useless would be false, simply because they are all based on the same principle.

One may not be "as" effective as another, depending on many different variables that one person could never be able to name. What I would like to add is...

TKD does have powerful kicking and punching techniques. TKD does have leg conditioning and strengthening stances.

SD is about being in the best possible surroundings when the situation arises. you can even the odds, by learning a martial art or arts, and by keeping an open mind, and being aware of your surroundings. Many self defense fights are won simply by knowing the surroundings better than your opponent.

TKD helps me to keep a clear mind. There is alot of positive things to learn from it, as with any martial art. I feel confident in my ability to defend myself if the need ever arose. The cool thing is, I don't usually go around looking for fights so TKD works really well for me.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
the art doesnt make the fight, the fighter makes the art.

I think the truth is in the middle. The ability of the fighter makes the most important difference, but some arts are more effective than others if the ability of the fighter in each is the same. Other arts are highly effective, but only in very specific circumstances - i.e. the sword arts or to a lesser extent BJJ.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

Brian R. VanCise
MartialTalk Super Moderator

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tkd is as useful as any other Martial Art if it is tought right. Better known as Texas Karate is one of the toughest styles around if you can find the right instructor. Come on look at all the water down programs and see for yourself. TKD gets the bad rap like Karate did before and in a few years some other art will be the new whipping child.