troubles with high roundhouse kick

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am new to Martial Arts. Proper kicks have been one of many major struggles. This suggestion has been the most useful of any feedback I have found so far. Thank you. :)
Yes, what Omar states is very true. You need to have a strong muscle to do the kicks as well. Muscle strength is one thing that you should have first before trying to kick high and stretch wide. Tom Kurz details this out in his book.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something I learned (Painfuly) was something we all need to be aware of as we age.

I seemed to be losing my range of motion and was finding high kicks increasingly painful. So, I figured that age required more stretching and range of motion exercises. Not only did it seem not to help but the pain got worse.

I then learned that I was developing arthritis in the hip joint. Nerve endings in the leg terminate in the hip so pain radiating down the leg was a fooler as to the source of the problem.

When I tried to stretch, I was actualy jamming the bony surfaces together. No amount of stretching will resolve a narrowing of range of motion caused by arthritic bone spurs.

The solutions in order involved over the counter anti inflamatory, meds, then prescription meds. Then cortisone injections, and ultimately surgery.

So, more stretching and kicking is not always the answer.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Static stretching will not do anthing to your dynamic flexibility. Read why Bill, Chuck, others have had to have hip replacements done. Super Foot is one of my favorite martial artist and he too worked on dynamic flexibility alot, but also worked the static stuff way too much. For one thing you should never kick after doing static stretches. Static stretches should only be done at the end of your workout and that is it. It has been proven that after static stretching you lose 20-25% of your power when kicking.

Maybe all of that is true. But I can tell you it sure does feel good to be able to do a full splits in both directions, something that was common when I was a kid but is incredibly rare today. I don't think I will be needing hip replacements anytime soon either.

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Another key point about static stretching is that you should never do it prior to a TKD training session and even weightlifting, sprinting, and plyometrics. Research has shown numerous times that power production is lowered. Dynamic and/PNF stretching is the way to go and should never last longer than 10-12 seconds per stretch. Do Isometric or Static stretching after your workout for it to benefit you.

Andrew (ATC) is 100% correct about Thomas Kurz's book and it explains everything. His methods work and even check out his book, The Science of Sports Training.

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Andrew! Basically said what you said. That's what 4 hours of sleep in 2 days does to me sometimes =)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope not true. Kicking cold is all about the dynamic flexibility only. I myself am in my later 40's and cannot even come close to doing any splits.

But to be honest, don't you wish you could do the full splits? Isn't it a goal of everyone in the Korean martial arts to be able to do such things?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Last night in class I did some stretching, not too much but not too little and at the end of the class afther the warm up and the basic techs includiying kicho shodan I did some kicking using palchagis.

My front kick was very good, to the level of my head, my side kick was pretty well to to troat level but my roundhouse kicks was terrible. Ar waist level was good even at chest level but at head level I could not crontol it, the kick was horrible, I could not maintain balance.

I don't get it, I can kick high with the front kick and the side kikck, but the easy roundhose it's a pain in the ......s, it seems I could not turn my body so well and my hips don't allow me to aligne my body and score the kick.

The front kicks like the an cahguis, bakat chaguis and chigo chaguis are not as complicated as the round house kick to the head level.

What can you tell me?

Manny

Approach round kick kind of like a Poom. It has a optimum beginning shape, optimum travel shape and optimum ending shape. Also I am sure folks remember doing round kicks standing with a wall to your open side, and then over a chair.

I teach round kick in phases. Round kick shape #1, #2 and #3. I'd have to make a video, I can't explain it.

To develop face high kicks with round kick, I drill students using the "Z" kick. Now how do I explain a "Z" kick!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
To develop face high kicks with round kick, I drill students using the "Z" kick. Now how do I explain a "Z" kick!

Like a knifehand strike to the neck. The original Hapkido roundhouse kick was with the toes pointed, the kick angled down to replicate a knife hand strike to the neck.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
But to be honest, don't you wish you could do the full splits? Isn't it a goal of everyone in the Korean martial arts to be able to do such things?
I once could, Now I cannot. It does not bother me really. I can kick to the head no problem still. Just can't go into full splits. To tell the truth I will most likely need a hip replacement on my left side in 10 more years.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I once could, Now I cannot. It does not bother me really. I can kick to the head no problem still. Just can't go into full splits. To tell the truth I will most likely need a hip replacement on my left side in 10 more years.

Really. What happened?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
teach round kick in phases. Round kick shape #1, #2 and #3. I'd have to make a video, I can't explain it.

Looking forward to seeing the video... (I assume that was an offer that you would video it and post it online ;-))

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My front kick was very good, to the level of my head, my side kick was pretty well to to troat level but my roundhouse kicks was terrible. Ar waist level was good even at chest level but at head level I could not crontol it, the kick was horrible, I could not maintain balance.
What can you tell me?

Manny

You've already hit the solution. Bring your kicks down. The object is to kick correctly, not high. Get really good at midsection high kicks, then start working for height.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You've already hit the solution. Bring your kicks down. The object is to kick correctly, not high. Get really good at midsection high kicks, then start working for height.

Yes, kicking correctly is the key. Also if you learn to kick correctly, you can prevent injury to your hips, knees, ankles and feet.

Flexibility certainly helps, but it's not the primary reason for a strong face high kick.

Correct shape of movement is the primary factor in kicking the face, or the body at your maximum potential.

In the 1987 video "The Art of Competition" I remember a scene where Prof. Kuk Hyun Jeong is breaking round kick down in sections while holding a chair, has anyone seen that?

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the 1987 video "The Art of Competition" I remember a scene where Prof. Kuk Hyun Jeong is breaking round kick down in sections while holding a chair, has anyone seen that?

That was a great video, cutting edge at the time.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd love to see that. Anyone know where I can get a copy?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have that video on my computer with me at most times of the day if it helps...

Two years ago, Prof. Kuk Hyun Jeong from the video was here and ran everyone through an awesome 3 or 4 hours training session. My son was his demonstration partner. Afterward my son opinion was that 48 year old Prof. Jeong could still win at world events. I don't know, but he was certainly impressive and looked to move as well as he did in the 80's.

After training we all played golf and Prof. Jeong was mostly on par, far ahead of everyone, he is a really good golfer. Later, he also put everyone to shame at Karaoke and was a total cut up and had everyone in stitches, guess he is just a champion at everything!

Oh, he also wanted to know why everyone in the US called him the "cookie monster" and wanted to know if it was a good name to have or an insult. I explained it to him and he was happy with the term.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two years ago, Prof. Kuk Hyun Jeong from the video was here and ran everyone through an awesome 3 or 4 hours training session. My son was his demonstration partner. Afterward my son opinion was that 48 year old Prof. Jeong could still win at world events. I don't know, but he was certainly impressive and looked to move as well as he did in the 80's.

After training we all played golf and Prof. Jeong was mostly on par, far ahead of everyone, he is a really good golfer. Later, he also put everyone to shame at Karaoke and was a total cut up and had everyone in stitches, guess he is just a champion at everything!

Oh, he also wanted to know why everyone in the US called him the "cookie monster" and wanted to know if it was a good name to have or an insult. I explained it to him and he was happy with the term.

We had the same experience with Professor Jeong when he came to visit us in Hawaii. Very good guy, I think he finds it hard to believe we all idolized him back in the 80s....

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We had the same experience with Professor Jeong when he came to visit us in Hawaii. Very good guy, I think he finds it hard to believe we all idolized him back in the 80s....

I think he does. Gary McFeeders ask to take a photo with him and Prof Jeong was happy about it having heard that Gary lived at OTC for a while, so they took a photo of both of them in fighting stance facing each other. Later Gary looked at the photo and laughed saying "yeah, if that was happening for real, this photo would be the only thing I would have to remember the match by." Haha!

Latest Discussions