sparring kicks

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
What kicks do you use in sparring? I'm not a competitor so my kicks are pretty basic, I use the round house,side kick,back kick and spining back kick to the hogu and some times the front kick, to head level I use some kind of ax kick and if body allows me maybe a hook kick.

Nothin fancy as tornado kick, or spining/jumping flying kicks,or flashy kicking combos, just the basics.

And yes I use punches to hogu too, not may but more than my classmates.

Manny

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use various roundhou8ses (front leg quick kick like a jab, back leg for power, and doubles as a counter after some sor tof front leg kick. I use the fron tleg side kick (cut kick) both as a set up for some sort of power kick, also to disrupt opponent's timing. I like using the axe kick and the back kick as well. Every once in awhile I'll throw in a nahtabon....mostly to see if I can land it. It usually gets my opponents attention (they don't expect it from someone of my statutre) and it makes it easier to set upt he back kick...they see me turn and expect thte big kick and don't necessarily expect the plain old back kick.

Peace,
Erik

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What opportunities do you see when you are sparring when you think "none of the kicks I know will work right now"? It's not what kicks you use but how you use the kicks you have that matters. You seem to be able to hit low/medium/high from every angle with the kicks you know.

Whenever I sparred, the moment the referee said "go" I jumped up into some twirly, spinny type kick straight at the opponent. I never did that type of kick again during the sparring but it kept them guessing.

I have seen the fancy kicks used as part of a combination. The fancy kick was used to keep the opponent at a distance and position them for the next kick in the combination.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me just the basic weather sparring or on the street, anything to the body and legs and never nothing that makes me do a full circle. I am getting to old for that anyway.

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Every once in awhile I'll throw in a nahtabon....mostly to see if I can land it. It usually gets my opponents attention (they don't expect it from someone of my statutre) and it makes it easier to set upt he back kick...they see me turn and expect thte big kick and don't necessarily expect the plain old back kick.

I hope you don't mind me asking about this. I've heard about this technique before and I can't find much info about it online. I tried asking my instructor, but I butchered the pronounciation so much that he didn't know what I was talking about! Is it basically a quicker method of chaining kicks together, (left roundhouse and then right spinning hook before the left roundhouse lands) or is there more to it than that?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use basic kicks though I rarely use an ax kick unless sparring someone shorter than I am (which doesn't happen often).

Try looking up the term "narabon" or "tornado kick". It is basically a kick in which you are doing a 360 and then throwing a roundhouse kick.

Here's Master Gordon White demonstrating it:

Last edited by a moderator:

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hope you don't mind me asking about this. I've heard about this technique before and I can't find much info about it online

Often pronounced as "autobahn" It's similar to a 360 roundhouse except you keep the 'pivot' foot in the air. Miles' Youtube video shows it well

Note - we distinguish a 360 roundhouse from this kick in what you do with the non-kicking foot.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do American Karate, not TKD; and point sparring with light to moderate contact. I mostly use roundhouse, hook, and side kicks, front leg back kicks, spinning back kicks and spinning hook kicks. Occasionally a front kick, and rarely an ax kick. I don't have the greatest control on ax kicks yet, and I don't want to squish anybody. I use a lot of double or triple rh and side kicks, either in the same spot or high/low. I kick more than I punch, but that's atypical for my style--I'm just comfortable with kicking.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I mostly use 3 kicks...well 4 actually.

Round or turning kick
Back Kick
Ax Kick
Side Kick

There are a few variations of the round kick as you can use front or back leg. Plus you can run it or double and triple it at time. Not too many of the running kicks as they wind you quite quickly.

But when sparing not much more is needed. I guess you can toss in a hook kick here and there but not too often for me. And if I can hit you with a push kick I can just as easily hit you with the Ax kick so no push kicks for me as the Ax is more devastating to me.

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I use basic kicks though I rarely use an ax kick unless sparring someone shorter than I am (which doesn't happen often).

Try looking up the term "narabon" or "tornado kick". It is basically a kick in which you are doing a 360 and then throwing a roundhouse kick.

Here's Master Gordon White demonstrating it:

Why does the tornado kick have so many variations on names? :lol:
Tornado kick, turning roundhouse kick, 360 roundhouse kick, narabon, autobahn, etc

anyway, I'm pretty simple in sparring with my kicks. Roundhouse and front leg sidekick mostly. If my opponent is slow enough, I'll use a roundhouse kick-tornado kick combo, but never the tornado kick on it's own. I really want to be able to put a spinning hook kick on the end of that combo though!

Anyone here use the twist kick? One of my sparring partners said he'd buy me a bowl of noodles if I could hit him in the head with that one :D

Last edited by a moderator:

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why does the tornado kick have so many variations on names? :lol:
Tornado kick, turning roundhouse kick, 360 roundhouse kick, narabon, autobahn, etc

Fun part is that some of those are different kicks depending on your terminology.
Anyone here use the twist kick? One of my sparring partners said he'd buy me a bowl of noodles if I could hit him in the head with that one :D

Yup! Used it before. Kinda fun to throw in for grins.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What's a twist kick? And what's a push kick?

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I mostly use 3 kicks...well 4 actually.

Round or turning kick
Back Kick
Ax Kick
Side Kick

There are a few variations of the round kick as you can use front or back leg. Plus you can run it or double and triple it at time. Not too many of the running kicks as they wind you quite quickly.

But when sparing not much more is needed. I guess you can toss in a hook kick here and there but not too often for me. And if I can hit you with a push kick I can just as easily hit you with the Ax kick so no push kicks for me as the Ax is more devastating to me.

I agree with you, the basics is all one's need, roundhouse kick, side kick,back kick and front kick, nothing more.

Manny

ChrisJ

White Belt
Reaction score
And if I can hit you with a push kick I can just as easily hit you with the Ax kick so no push kicks for me as the Ax is more devastating to me.

I agree that axe kicks can be used with greater success in many situations where push kicks are used. However, push kicks can be useful in sparring as a very safe kick. For example, if you throw an axe and your opponent does a back kick or spin hook kick, you could be in trouble. Doing a push kick on the other hand, you'd tend to be much safer and even have a good chance of knocking the opponent down.

-Chris

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i like hook kicks, round kicks, twist kicks,side kicks, and axe kicks, i use the occasional front kick and i usually jump spin while doing most of these

ChrisJ

White Belt
Reaction score
What's a twist kick? And what's a push kick?

Twist kick is bitureo chagi:
http://kukkiwon.or.kr/english/information/information03_02_3_g6.jsp
It's sorta like a round kick going the other direction (big toe side up, striking with the instep). I see beginners do it sometimes by accident. It's fun to goof around with, but it's very difficult to make much impact with it.

Push kick is just like it sounds like -- bring your knee to your chest and then use your foot to push your opponent (typically aiming near the center of gravity, ~belt level). It can be used to set up other techniques, or just to knock someone over who is off balance.

-Chris

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
a push kick is sorta like what they use in the movies to kick down a door the foot is upwards like a front kick but strike with the heel instead of the ball of the foot and a twist kick is an unside down round kick

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Twist kick is bitureo chagi:
http://kukkiwon.or.kr/english/information/information03_02_3_g6.jsp
It's sorta like a round kick going the other direction (big toe side up, striking with the instep). I see beginners do it sometimes by accident. It's fun to goof around with, but it's very difficult to make much impact with it.

Push kick is just like it sounds like -- bring your knee to your chest and then use your foot to push your opponent (typically aiming near the center of gravity, ~belt level). It can be used to set up other techniques, or just to knock someone over who is off balance.

-Chris

Thanks!

If I'm understanding the description on the site correctly, the twist kick appears to be similar to what we call a reverse crescent kick.

From your description, the push kick sounds like a thrusting front kick. Since we fight sideways in my style, I would rarely use that type of kick, since I would have to turn my chest toward my opponent to do it. We do use a side kick in the same way, though, chambering the knee at at 45 degree angle and pushing the opponent away at their belt or hip level.

Incidentally, the striking surface in side kicks (for us) is the bottom of the foot, with the heel striking first. Is it the same in TKD, or do y'all use the knife edge of the foot?

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I use:Jumping Push KickPush KickSide KickBack KickOccasionally I'll do an ax kick if I want to scare someone. I'll do other kicks only if the instructor is urging people to throw kicks. When I've sparred with the Dans class the instructor doesn't even want us to do jumping kicks.

ChrisJ

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks!

If I'm understanding the description on the site correctly, the twist kick appears to be similar to what we call a reverse crescent kick.

From your description, the push kick sounds like a thrusting front kick. Since we fight sideways in my style, I would rarely use that type of kick, since I would have to turn my chest toward my opponent to do it. We do use a side kick in the same way, though, chambering the knee at at 45 degree angle and pushing the opponent away at their belt or hip level.

Incidentally, the striking surface in side kicks (for us) is the bottom of the foot, with the heel striking first. Is it the same in TKD, or do y'all use the knife edge of the foot?

Twist kick is similar to reverse crescent except it is hitting with the instep (top of the foot) instead of the outside blade of the foot. Also, it chambers similar to a front kick.

I also strike with the heel for side kicks. I think it is much more effective for both sparring and breaking (power). However, I do see some in TKD use the blade/knife edge of the foot, often when doing forms. I think it depends on your target as well -- if your target is the throat then I expect the knife edge would be more effective than the heel.

-Chris