sparring kicks

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Twist kick is similar to reverse crescent except it is hitting with the instep (top of the foot) instead of the outside blade of the foot. Also, it chambers similar to a front kick.

I also strike with the heel for side kicks. I think it is much more effective for both sparring and breaking (power). However, I do see some in TKD use the blade/knife edge of the foot, often when doing forms. I think it depends on your target as well -- if your target is the throat then I expect the knife edge would be more effective than the heel.

-Chris

I just looked at the description again, and I think we actually do this kick and call it an inside roundhouse. I really dislike this kick; not for a good reason, though. I am very pigeon-toed due to a minor birth defect, and the inside roundhouse is just not comfortable for me to do. My understanding is that it's a really good kick if you are in open stance with your opponent and want to strke quickly to the body or groin. Not that I can do it with any kind of speed or accuracy myself. Thanks again for the information.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just looked at the description again, and I think we actually do this kick and call it an inside roundhouse.
Yeah, we call this a reverse roundhouse. Not a very effective kick. You can land it but not with much power. Plus you are not in a good position to followup if you do land as your feet will be crossed or off line. That is if I am thinking of the same kick.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I use what ever will hit the person when i need too. I was brought up where we practiced all the kicks with both legs. We didnt have one we did more than another so it kindof made me more versatile. True i hated it in class doing some of the dumb kicks or basic "I'll never use" kicks, but it only makes you a better fighter or defender. sometimes you are not in a position to kick from a "ready or kicking" position. but your target wont wait so you adapt and can pretty much put your foot on your target from anywhere.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use what ever will hit the person when i need too. I was brought up where we practiced all the kicks with both legs. We didnt have one we did more than another so it kindof made me more versatile. True i hated it in class doing some of the dumb kicks or basic "I'll never use" kicks, but it only makes you a better fighter or defender. sometimes you are not in a position to kick from a "ready or kicking" position. but your target wont wait so you adapt and can pretty much put your foot on your target from anywhere.
Yeah I think that is the case for everyone but each person has a set of kicks that they favor.

For example; if I can hit you with a push kick to the face then an ax kick will most likely be able to hit as well. Since I like throwing the ax more than a push I would use the ax and not the push. Even though both are known and both can be use and thrown.

I think this thread is about preference not ability. You use the kicks that will land but you also choose from multiple possibilities. To simply say I use the kick that works is to general when more than one kick will work. You will pick one over the other due to your reason of choice.

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've only been doing this for a few months, and have only been taught front, roundhouse, side, and ax kicks (plus punches). For in-class sparring, I'll use anything and everything I know, and plan to do so even when I'm being taught more artistically interesting kicks.

So far my instructors generously encourage this behavior.

Latest Discussions