Testing nerves?

DerekB

White Belt
Reaction score
Testing nerves are normal, some people freeze during school exams but know the material, thats just life. I'm now a 2nd Dan and when we have colour belt testing I see students that are almost making themselves sick. When I try too calm them down I hear the same thing "your a black belt your passed this problem". I personally figured that the butterflies in my stomach are testing for the same belt and can they kick up a fuss. But I would not be allowed too test if my clubs Master did not think I was ready. All I can do while testing is give it all I can...oh and remember too breath.

OP
Dinkus Mayhem

Dinkus Mayhem

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all again for the different views and advice, it definately seemed to help me.

The biggest help was a blend of three ideas in which I poured all of my free time into mentally going over what I needed to know in order to be prepared, thought of the test as a demonstration much like what I would do in a tournament, and kept in mind that what happens...happens...and not to fear the result.

Also, I made sure to breath.

It all worked, and this is the most relaxed and confident I have ever felt during a test. I didn't mess up at all, and I didn't experience a single moment of brain-farting.

I have to admit, testing when you are feeling this prepared and confident is MUCH more fun than being nervous.

Thanks again!

~Ben

PS: Oddly enough the Master who was running the test spoke a bit about nerves, and mentioned that feeling nervous is normal....and that by feeling nervous it showed that the test meant a lot to you....but find a way to control that feeling so it does not get in the way of what you need to do. With your help I think I have found the answer to what I need to do in order to control my nerves.

Latest Discussions