Prince_Alarming62 5
Senior Master
Not fair, we also take the mick a lotMost of what we do here is either splitting hairs or telling random somewhat-related stories and anecdotes. Every once in a while there's a nugget of useful information hidden
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Not fair, we also take the mick a lotMost of what we do here is either splitting hairs or telling random somewhat-related stories and anecdotes. Every once in a while there's a nugget of useful information hidden
Yeah it happens.I ended up mentioning it after the tournament (during an unrelated conversation) and he didn't seem to care or even react, so I suppose the matter is closed; no harm, no foul.
Side question: Has anyone ever competed in another federations tournament and found yourself marked as the loser even though you won? I won the first round of my division by KO and after watching almost an hours worth of the other competitors fight, we find out I was marked the loser and can't continue. Is this just incompetence or has anyone ever seen something similar before? I am not much of a conspiracy theorist, but, the guy who won it was from their federation, just saying.
It is interesting to hear about the cultural differences between UK and US based martial arts. I didn't realize UK based sensei more or less do it for the love of their art, and it's more about community building than making money.
But yes you are correct, it is expensive, what I pay to train 32 hours a month would be £96.65 ($130).
I currently train in a full contact karate discipline, I have always wanted to take a real fight and recently had the opportunity to test my might in a Muay Thai tournament.
Here lies the issue: I didn't say anything to my dojo, I just took a week to prepare and showed up to the tournament as an independent fighter (meaning I didn't fight under their dojo name).
This question is directed to the Sensei's and Shihan's here, would you be upset that a student in your club fought elsewhere without your knowledge?
On one hand I am in my 30's and am an adult, so asking 'permission' feels a bit weird to me, especially from someone I only see a few hours a week, but on the other hand a little bit of professional courtesy goes a long way and is respectful.
I could see this going 1 of 2 ways: Either they don't care and think it's cool I took a real fight and was competitive, or 2 they feel disrespected and I possibly get expelled.
What do you guys think?
Also if anyone is interested I can give the play by play, it was a fun but challenging learning experience.
Probably wouldn't get punched in the face for free again though.
Eh, it was a split decision lost, it was a competitive fight; my only regret was not using the karate I knew and trying to box with a MMA guy.Is the reason you didn't mention it because MT is quite different from karate and you thought that WHEN you were beaten you'd keep it quiet?
I would be annoyed if you were one of my fighters, part of what we do is picking the best opponents for our fighters, right experience, right weight etc. We sort out whether you will fight pro and get pay/expenses or amateur for expenses. We check the promoter, the venue, the medical team even. We want our corners with you, we want to wrap your hands, make sure you are even ready for a fight. We have responsibilities towards our fighters, the least they could do is mention a fight they'd like to do.
It was inconsiderate and rude but it could have been dangerous.
I'm curious: why did you choose not to use what you were trained for?Eh, it was a split decision lost, it was a competitive fight; my only regret was not using the karate I knew and trying to box with a MMA guy.
Because I am dumb. I did use tobi yoko ushiro geri, mae geri chudan chusoku and mawashi geri gendan/chudan... although those aren't unique to karate. Probably should have threw in some yoko geri chudan techniques and my favorite ura mawashi geri at the chudan/jodan levels.I'm curious: why did you choose not to use what you were trained for?
Your answer had nothing to do with my comments.Eh, it was a split decision lost, it was a competitive fight; my only regret was not using the karate I knew and trying to box with a MMA guy.
Okay bossmanYour answer had nothing to do with my comments.
Ouch, sounds like an expensive mistake, I am sure that one comes back to you when you are trying to sleep.The worst you could say about this is that it's fairly stupid. I'm sure we've all done worse things when we were younger, letting my partially sighted girlfriend ride my motorbike ranks pretty highly.
That's good, it's all the same thing to be honest, just a means to an end.It's.... kind of a toxic mix of bad blood between TMA and MMA caused largely- in my opinion- by the way styles have marketed themselves and competed. It's changing- people are starting to give less of a stuff, and quite rightly too.
I don't think it's so much of "bad blood" as that they're just two different cultures. TMA has unbroken lineage going back hundreds of years, MMA is a newcomer made up of several combat arts combined in varying amounts. MMA is a sport; TMA was developed as a non-sport. MMA fighters are often well inked, TMA practitioners not so much. There are many more cultural differences as well and generally attract those of different interests and personalities. Both have value in their own way.kind of a toxic mix of bad blood between TMA and MMA
I defer to your superior judgment of the matter, you've been around a lot longer than I haveI don't think it's so much of "bad blood" as that they're just two different cultures. TMA has unbroken lineage going back hundreds of years, MMA is a newcomer made up of several combat arts combined in varying amounts. MMA is a sport; TMA was developed as a non-sport. MMA fighters are often well inked, TMA practitioners not so much. There are many more cultural differences as well and generally attract those of different interests and personalities. Both have value in their own way.
My apologies Misses Bosslady, ma'amBosswoman actually.![]()
This hits on the ultimate paradox of traditional martial arts. High-contact sparring gives you that necessary reality check and builds grit, but turning it into a competition where the goal is to land a concussion just for a shiny trophy completely shifts the incentives. Knowing how to hit hard is essential, but having the control and restraint not to break your training partners is where the actual skill lies. Excellent point on the psychological trap of full-contact tournaments.I love high contact sparring, I endorse getting bruised and delivering and getting real pain as a learning and hardening tool, but real injury or damage is only stupid. That's why I'm not into boxing either.
This is why I also dont like the idea of competition and knocking someone out. In sparring, you settle with taking the breath out of someone or getting them a nice bruise that lasts for a week or two, but thats where the limit goes. Even knowing the limit takes high control. Which is why I refrain from certain techniques in sparring. its not becaues i cant do them, its because the risk of too much damage is high because im not good enough.
I have to admit that if I had to sign up for full contact competition, and i know the opponent want to put a heel into my temple at full force to get a medal, I would do my best to do the same and i would not hold back on power. But just a tiny bit of contemplation seems to me to reveal that as a "stupid game". Even if I won at the price of causing serious injury to someone I would probably feel like a fool for playing the game.
Maybe paradoxal that you train to do maximal damage, and you can to pressure test it, but hope you dont have to use it, because there is no good outcome of the game. descargar APK