Reputation System Reset Pending...Dec 07

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob and Staff,

I support the change in the system and the reset.

I think a rset ever now and again for with any system over time there will be a tendancy to get to the extremes with those who play the most or longest having an unfair advantage over people who are just starting out.

I think we have the post banners such as 500 posts and 100 posts and 15000 posts that some of us have that separate the long timers and heavy posters from the beginners to this site.

Someone brought to my attention when they did a search to find out how to contact me that the reputation showed up on the search. i.e. Rich Parsons has a reputation beyond repute. I was embarrassed by this. While I may have said lots of good things, I know I have also had my share of negative interactions as well. But I did not complain, I just grunted and tried to move on.

I also like the date of the reset. ;)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a clarification.

It's not going away, it's being reset and tweaked for better balance.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it is actually a good idea. Everybody that has a wicked amout of rep will return to the top. I know that with even with a "lowly" 6 stars I have been more reserved in giving both positive and neg rep just because there are a lot of post that are praise worthy and I would like to acknowledge the post, but is it really as good as an awesome post that makes me think and explore my own situation (yes I have seen plenty of them here.) Several times I have wished for an option of giving 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 of the total and being able to reserve the 5 or 600 points for the really great posts. I've been thinking of just turning them off anyway because while they mean a lot to me, it isn't about points or even people agreeing all the time with me. I like just knowing somebody someplace got something from an opinion or statement I made.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've posted the planned revamp for staff review, and will be posting it here in a day or so.

I'll be honest, some of the changes are probably going to annoy a few folks, but they will cut down on alot of the past abuses and complaints and return it to what it as intended to be, a hint at quality posters. In theory, we won't have to reset it again after this reset, for at least 5 more years, lol!

One of the biggest changes is a cap on power. Right now, the newb hits for 5 points while some of the high scorers hit for 2,000 or so. It's like Superman slapping you on the back...which is never good, just ask Jimmy. lol.

Some forums will not allow repping, and old dead posts also will no longer be repible. One of the abuses we saw were people going to random dead threads and suddenly repping folks who hadn't been here in years, then hitting their target with rep.

I've suped up the rep listings to show the last 50 in your CP now, so everyone can see a bit more.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Will we still have the option of opting out of having our rep scores shown?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey…wait a minute…. Does this mean I loose my rank too????

How can I teach Martial Art Talk style if I loose my rank :uhyeah:

You are coming VERY close to offending my family AND the Shaolin temple:soapbox:

:uhyeah:

Sorry, couldn't resist any longer

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
naw. just the green dots, yellow stars n purple clovers. ;)

all rank stays in effect.....until I can figure out how to digitize fabreeze. lol

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ahhh!

I have been given some vote of confidence, some token that I have found favour with this group, this community, and now it will be trashed!

Well, that is as it will be, but I post this here for posterity. If I cannot get this favour again, let everyone look at this screenshot so that they will know that I at one time had it!!!

This sounds so medieval NG, as in a mortally wounded knight's last earthly communication. Oh, but wait, most of them couldn't write. :D

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This sounds so medieval NG, as in a mortally wounded knight's last earthly communication.

That's right! And let it never be forgotten that before "The Great Reputation Reform", the House of NewGuy was awarded two stars!

starsrt3.jpg

Look at them! Glorious and yellow! Defining eight directions, like the Universal Pattern of Motion does!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Y'know what might be fun? A race to the bottom! I propose that from now until Dec. 7, we substitute neg reps for positive and vice versa. Agree with a post? Neg rep. Take offense? Give 'em a positive. Let's see how fast our painstaking accrual of stars can wither away. I predict that Exile, even with his Brewster's Millions of stars, would still win. He'd probably have like twenty red stars before I hit bottom. ;)

Anyone?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Y'know what might be fun? A race to the bottom! I propose that from now until Dec. 7, we substitute neg reps for positive and vice versa. Agree with a post? Neg rep. Take offense? Give 'em a positive. Let's see how fast our painstaking accrual of stars can wither away. I predict that Exile, even with his Brewster's Millions of stars, would still win. He'd probably have like twenty red stars before I hit bottom. ;)

Anyone?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Yes, and you just bought yourself a big, fat Neg-Rep, Mister!!!

:ultracool

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You TOO are coming VERY close to offending my family AND the Shaolin temple:soapbox:

:uhyeah:

Been there before...I'm safe in my crypt-vampfeed- so you canna touch me...

Latest Discussions