Rank Promotion Method

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
My school, we really don't do that, except for our "provisional" 1st dans. Most people pass our black belt test with a provisional belt (they have to test one of the areas again at the next test to pass full). Our provisional belt has a zigzag of thin white stripes. When you pass "full" you turn in your provisional belt, having written your name on one of the stripes.

Since most are only worn 6-12 months at a pop and have some breaks between tests, they last up to 10 years. You end up with some my younger students asking "Who is so and so" and you get to go into some really great stories about old friends/students.

That is interesting and kind of neat. Do you have a photo of one of these belts for us to see?

AoG

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ack. I don't. I don't think there are any provisionals running around my class tonight. I'll try on Friday and see if I can snap one.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Belt colors is too show your progress base on your school requirements.

Today so many people have Black Belts...so common..so easy to obtain...In my kids Judo.....they have to beat people of the same rank and do well in competions with other schools or tournaments to gain a higher rank....YOU HAVE TO PROVE BY FIGHING TO EARN IT!

On the streets...the real world...colors will mean nothing when fighting for your life.....if you see your belt is "red" could be your blood...if the other person belt is "red" could be his?

Learning to escape....Yellow color? .....one learn to live one more day...

Aloha,

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fred Sanford was confronted by a mugger who said, "I have a black belt"; to which Fred said; "you're going to need it to lower your *** into the ground".

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Belt colors is too show your progress base on your school requirements.

Today so many people have Black Belts...so common..so easy to obtain...In my kids Judo.....they have to beat people of the same rank and do well in competions with other schools or tournaments to gain a higher rank....YOU HAVE TO PROVE BY FIGHING TO EARN IT!

On the streets...the real world...colors will mean nothing when fighting for your life.....if you see your belt is "red" could be your blood...if the other person belt is "red" could be his?

Learning to escape....Yellow color? .....one learn to live one more day...

Aloha,

???

Latest Discussions