protective gear

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I remember back in the day me and Billy would kick the crap out of each other for hours... man those were the day..... Now I can hardly lift my knee bast my waist and my wrist are so bad I can' even open a pickle jar. I wonder what billy is up to these days... I heard he uses a lil rascil to get around... man I miss those day.. We wre real bad asses back in the day.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Tell me what is the differance between be 50 pounds over wieght with a big gut and wearing a hogu?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess the best way to train is you come in and I kick you in the groin and punch you in the face until ether you quit,become a better blocker or you kick my ***! ether way after everyone watchs no one wants to train with us! So, how do you spread the wisdom of the martial arts if no one what to train. I now I heard stories of the good old days.. Well people use to marry thier cousins too.

ROFLMAO! Thanks for a good laugh!

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never fought with a hogu, but I wear head, hand, and footgear, shin guards, and a mouthguard. We do stop point sparring (light to moderate contact), but bruises and bumps are still very common, and I have to keep myself safe so I can work and take care of my kids. I think headgear is especially important--I've knocked a couple of people over so that they landed on their heads--and a functional brain is an asset, IMO.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
look what happen to liam Neson wife... It doen't take much.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice replies all valid, what I got from my youth in TKD is a hurt left shin, a hard blow to my left shin aches a lot and don't recoers easily and you want to know why? becase as a young careless TKDoing I did not use shin pads, offcourse I was a macho man in those days, but with age this injure agravated.

To me honest I lie to sparr with the hogu, only shin/instep pads and gloves and headprotector (helmet), this way I feel confy and free moving around in kyorigi, the hogu I don't like it, but as some has said here I would rather use a hogu than a broken rib for many factors:

1.-Hospital's bill (big money).
2.-time recovering (this means I will not go to train for a not short period of time).
3.-Sometimes bones don't fix well.
4.-Age.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something I forgot. Eveen if we will do light contact sparring I would encorauge my classmates to wear head gear,mouth protector aan shin guards with or without insteps and gloves, this form the kids would feel secure and would send the best kicks/punches without the fear of hurt the sparring partner.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm truly curious if the various protective equipment really minimize physical damage or it just a placebo, helping to set your mind at ease but doing little else. Sure, shin guards help with the bruising you might get with a clash of kicking legs and the hand guards save from broken fingers if you have bad punching form, but I really wonder about the hogu and the head guard.

I've personally have seen concussions and bruised/broken ribs incurred by people wearing safety gear. I'm sure it helps a bit, but not nearly to the extent that many of you are touting. At worst, its use may breed a false sense of confidence...

Anyway, I suppose it's a non-issue in most schools, since contact is so light to begin with.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why when it comes to the MA's people get touchy about protection.

If you go to the gym to play basketball, do you play half assed or light so you don't get hurt, or play the best and hardest you can?

It makes no sense to me to spar light with a ton of protection so you don't even feel yourself get hit. Granted, I started in the 70's at ten years old being used as a punching bag for the adults, so contact never bothered me.

Whatever happened to "Train like you fight, Fight like you train, Go for broke"

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Without a cup?! HAHAHAHAHAHA...silly men....

It's all about realistic training. I'm not going to be wearing a cup on the street, so why would I handicap myself in my training by wearing one in the dojo? I tell my students the groin is a legal target, but please have some restraint for your classmate. Ditto with the face. I rarely permit contact with the neck area or the lower back. All other parts are fair game.

Again, it has to do with your tolerance and sense of balance between risk and effective training. Riskier than wearing a cup? Sure. Silly? Hardly.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
even with a cup it hurts enough -.-

As it should. Protecting your center line is a key concept of most martial arts. If you allow yourself to be hit anywhere on that line, you should expect the consequences to be painful at the very least. My belief is that too many schools have forgotten that principle and so they reduce the idea of combat to very light sparring.

If you can avoid the blow, do. Else take the blow on a less vital spot or (better) move in a matter that the blow is mitigated. If you are sufficiently skilled and conditioned, you should attack the blow itself. Soft or hard as you please.

midnight star

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
im 35, female and wear hand and foot protectore, shin pads, forearm pads, head guard and full chest/rib guard!

i too need my hands for my work(cutting hair) so cantafford injury to them.

i would like to see chest guards made compulsory for ITF tkd.Both for rib protection in both sexes, and breast protection for women.

they do make u quitehot when sparring, but over time you get used to it.
i would never spar without mine now-not even in our club,let alone when competing.
mind u....i do bruisevery easily and hate walking round in the summer looking like my husbands beat me up!!!! lol

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
The minumun I use is shin/instep pads they are a must and I want to use the gloves. The head gear (helmet), hogu, mouth protector and forearm pads are secondary.

Even with a had egar (helmet) the one aproved by WTF I got a broken nose several years ago, the sambunim yelled kalyo (break) so I drop the guard but the other guy trew a spining hook kicks that got in the face!!

The WTF aproved helmet does not cover the mouth/nose/eye area.

Manny

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have had more injuries to students when we used to have them wear full protective gear. Now injuries are quite a bit less without it.

If a student wants to wear it(tons of gear), they can. But they wear it at their own peril.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have had more injuries to students when we used to have them wear full protective gear. Now injuries are quite a bit less without it.

If a student wants to wear it(tons of gear), they can. But they wear it at their own peril.

LOL, we wear no Hogu, but everything else (minus the fore arm) is covered in that foam dipped stuff. I have to say I have come to appreciate the little bid of cushioning it provides. Especially when my dear sweet instructor kicks me in the head at will.... :D I think the foot pads (funny shoes without soles) are primarily to protect your partner....but no way would I ever go out without shinpads (had a nice collision ones, with a sweet kid, less than half my age, more than twice my size, nothing wrong except my shin pad had shifted....for a week I had a nice lime green bruise on my shin, top to bottom...and he wasn't even trying!)

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I try to remember my shin guards (optional in my school), because I had a shin-to-shin collision with one of the black belts that actually split my shin open. I had a big purple goose egg with a two inch split going down it. It turned a rainbow of colors and took weeks to go away. He has sharp bones, I guess.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I try to remember my shin guards (optional in my school), because I had a shin-to-shin collision with one of the black belts that actually split my shin open. I had a big purple goose egg with a two inch split going down it. It turned a rainbow of colors and took weeks to go away. He has sharp bones, I guess.

That's because I use shin/instep guards, I'm not a Mua Thai boxer so I don't train crashing babana trees a la Van Dame jejejejeje, I just train TKD because I like it, the workout and to learn something useful if evil arises on the steets.

Some of the classmates are too bony and or kick to hard and in the heat of the battle a shin-to shin collision can even broke a leg.

Manny

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm truly curious if the various protective equipment really minimize physical damage or it just a placebo, helping to set your mind at ease but doing little else. Sure, shin guards help with the bruising you might get with a clash of kicking legs and the hand guards save from broken fingers if you have bad punching form, but I really wonder about the hogu and the head guard.

I've personally have seen concussions and bruised/broken ribs incurred by people wearing safety gear. I'm sure it helps a bit, but not nearly to the extent that many of you are touting. At worst, its use may breed a false sense of confidence...

Anyway, I suppose it's a non-issue in most schools, since contact is so light to begin with.

IMNSHO the purpose of headgear is only nominaly to reduce head injuries from a punch or kick to the head. More importantly is the protection it affords if a fighter gets knocked out or down and falls to the ground striking their head on the floor. Many schools spar on floors with no padding or minimal padding.

There was a time when Hockey players did not wear helmets. First 10 plus years we did not wear head gear. Than insurance regs made us. Withessed some guys go down and heads bounce off the floor with headgear on. It would have been realy bad if there was no headgear.

Latest Discussions