Why so much pading?

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Agree. It might not be style bashing, but it is insulting. And macho BS to boot.

Eh, he clearly isnt what he thinks he is...

Never met anyone whos trained with or in kickboxing who didnt know knee raise roundhouses are still very common, or in kickboxing or MT who didnt know glancing blow KO's are common at all levels..I mean thats basic boxing. If I hit the button, I dont have to be 100% swinging out for it to take a guy down.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Never met anyone whos trained with or in kickboxing who didnt know knee raise roundhouses are still very common, or in kickboxing or MT who didnt know glancing blow KO's are common at all levels..I mean thats basic boxing. If I hit the button, I dont have to be 100% swinging out for it to take a guy down.

You know that, I know that.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score

You don't think it was glaringly obvious that the Japanese national champion in ITF was from point fighting? He was a superior fighter and still lost trivially once he got hit in the face. That's pretty sad...

Last edited:

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You don't think it was glaringly obvious the Japanese national champion in ITF was from point fighting? He was a superior fighter and still lost trivially once he got hit in the face. That's pretty sad...

You mean the two that connected with the button?

What about the 30 he shrugged off?

If you take style out of the equation, that clip is literally a standard kickboxing match haha

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You don't think it was glaringly obvious the Japanese national champion in ITF was from point fighting? He was a superior fighter and still lost trivially once he got hit in the face. That's pretty sad...

You don't think it glaringly obvious that the events in that video say more about the spirit and training of the individuals than anything to do with style?

What's pretty sad is you making all these sweeping statements regarding contact martial arts from a position of zero experience of full contact competition, and zero interest in actually participating in full contact competition.

Armchair punditry at its worst, and just like always, largely incorrect.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
You don't think it glaringly obvious that the events in that video say more about the spirit and training of the individuals than anything to do with style?

What's pretty sad is you making all these sweeping statements regarding contact martial arts from a position of zero experience of full contact competition, and zero interest in actually participating in full contact competition.

Wasn't it you who said: attack the argument, not the individual? You haven't adressed the argument, only me. Frankly, this is not really interesting. What is however curious is the TKD rationale for point fighting (against injuries), which kickboxers don't have and they do fine in life. Kickboxers don't wear all that stuff that WTFers do either.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
You mean the two that connected with the button?

What about the 30 he shrugged off?

If you take style out of the equation, that clip is literally a standard kickboxing match haha

He hit his face once and the ITF guy looked like Mike Tyson just connected. A few more times and he was out.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It hit his face once, and he looked like Mike Tyson just connected. A few more times and he was out.

Again,

clearly you dont watch Kickboxing, Boxing, or MMA.

Those type of half connections that lead to knockouts happen all the time in any full contact striking competition.

Everyone whose boxed or kickboxed has caught a glancing blow to the button, the back of the jaw, liver, or solar plexus, and been rocked/dropped from it.

Not knowing that just shows your inexperience.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This

Attacks the argument

And this

Attacks the foundation upon which the argument is built. Neither of those are a direct attack on you.

Wasn't it you who said: attack the argument, not the individual? You haven't adressed the argument, only me. Frankly, this is not really interesting.

Post an argument grounded in experience, proof, and rational thinking without sweeping statements, insulting generalisations and style bashing, and maybe you'll get some more meaningful responses.

You might want to take a look at your posting style.

What is however curious is the TKD rationale for point fighting (against injuries), which kickboxers don't have and they do fine in life. Kickboxers don't wear all that stuff that WTFers do either.

Participate in some full contact competition with a high level practitioner of each. It will satisfy whatever curiosity exists in your mind, without a doubt.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wasn't it you who said: attack the argument, not the individual? You haven't adressed the argument, only me. Frankly, this is not really interesting. What is however curious is the TKD rationale for point fighting (against injuries), which kickboxers don't have and they do fine in life. Kickboxers don't wear all that stuff that WTFers do either.

Actually in their weekly training,

They do wear nearly all the same gear...only the chest protector is left out (usually, there some exceptions)

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Participate in some full contact competition with a high level practitioner of each. It will satisfy whatever curiosity exists in your mind, without a doubt.

Oh, so you are on my side of the argument after all, or what is that you are trying to imply? I am sure you know by now, that I do in fact train point fighting.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh, so you are on my side of the argument after all, or what is that you are trying to imply? I am sure you know by now, that I do in fact train point fighting.

I am saying go compete kickboxing with contact, and go compete contact WTF competition, both with competent high level practitioners, say in an open sanctioned by the member NGB.

Report your findings. Until then, whatever generalisation you make is going to carry no credibility here, and is only going to communicate your own lack of confidence in your training.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am saying go compete kickboxing with contact, and go compete contact WTF competition, both with competent high level practitioners, say in an open sanctioned by the member NGB.

Report your findings. Until then, whatever generalisation you make is going to carry no credibility here, and is only going to communicate your own lack of confidence in your training.

I don't need to do undertake an individual act to make a general point. It would be the complete opposite of a generalisation to base a conclusion on how I personally fared.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't need to do undertake an individual act to make a general point. It would be the complete opposite of a generalisation to base a conclusion on how I personally fared.

If you had the personal experience, you wouldn't make the generalisation at all.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you had the personal experience, you wouldn't make the generalisation at all.

I don't fear them in the technical department. It's the conditioning for hits that causes major concerns. If I took care of that in advance then no problem. But I don't think a point fighter can rely on not getting hit in sparring.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't fear them in the technical department. It's the conditioning for hits that causes major concerns. If I took care of that in advance then no problem. But I don't think a point fighter can rely on not getting hit in sparring.

What is curious to me is, although you have asserted before that WTF competition is not full contact, there have been times in my life when I have quite regularly taken full contact kicks to the face in competition. And fought on.

There are also times in my life when I have taken real life fist contact to the face. Not in a competition, in real life. And fought on.

Those two experiences were not entirely dissimilar, in that they required a bloody minded strength of will more than anything else.

I always find it amusing when people imply or assert that a kick fighter won't be able to take a punch to the face. As if the shape of the instrument making contact somehow makes a difference.

Latest Discussions