Do you need to destroy your oponente inside the dojang?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always told my students when doing sparring to fight right but there is no need to hurt so badly our oponent, and alays said we are camardes and inside the dojang there is no place for brutality, am I right?

A few years back doing a test the other black belt who's going sparr me aproached me and asked me: How it's going to be? leting me know he wanted to know if we were to engage in a hard full contact, I told him: This is a test we don't have to kill each other out there don't you think? - He agreed and then I told him. Lets do a nice fight and try to nail each other with nice points so the people atending the test had a good time.

We sparr very well, full contact and trying to do fair points, there was a no winner or sambonim did not call one.

Lather I herd this black belt was a surgeon (doctor) and he was sa little worried about his hands (He used full armour, I mean, Hogu, helmet, arm pads, tkd gloves,shiun/instep pads, cup and maybe a mouth piece, I just wore a hogu and the helmet) because a broken hand or finger could put him away from doing surgery.

I don't think tkd feloows must broke jaws or arms or even nooses to have a good match doing sparring and you? what do you think?

Manny

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Simply put: No.

As your friend depending on his hands for his job, many of us do need to function outside the Dojang.

You can take it up a level or two, as long as all parties are Ok with it.

I mean, I do understand the concept of train how you fight. But in the end, how do you fight when you are injured?

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
nuff said

Ditto.

As a Chiropractor, I'm in the same position. I no longer do heavy breaking with my hands, and I no longer spar bare knuckles. I broke my hand a couple of summers ago, and it certainly made my job challenging for a month or so.. .

In the class setting, the pace is set by the junior ranking opponent. If a junior comes at me HARD, I'm going to give it back to him with equal force. If I am the junior, the particular situation would dictate the degree of contact involved (i.e. normal class, test, demonstration, etc.. .)

We always spar at full speed. We rarely spar at full penetration. It is the control of penetration that is important.

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ditto.

As a Chiropractor, I'm in the same position. I no longer do heavy breaking with my hands, and I no longer spar bare knuckles. I broke my hand a couple of summers ago, and it certainly made my job challenging for a month or so.. .

In the class setting, the pace is set by the junior ranking opponent. If a junior comes at me HARD, I'm going to give it back to him with equal force. If I am the junior, the particular situation would dictate the degree of contact involved (i.e. normal class, test, demonstration, etc.. .)

We always spar at full speed. We rarely spar at full penetration. It is the control of penetration that is important.

beautifully said.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kill them all and let God sort them out...Just kidding. No keep it fun with learning being the main objective. If you get touched on the hogu or head you know it could have been a hard blow. The dojang is for learning not the streets of NY.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sparring in class is working together, not against one another. We're not there to conquer or "win" anything, but to sharpen our skills with our opponent. As I tell my students, "if you break your friends you won't have anyone to play with.":)

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ditto.

In the class setting, the pace is set by the junior ranking opponent. ...
I sparred a young 3rd dan for my red belt test. His sparring wasn't too impressive, but a little better than mine, landing a relatively light contact spinning hook kick.

A month later, he was sparring another young 3rd dan and looked much more impressive. I went up to him after and said, "Wow, you've gotten a lot better in the past month since you sparred against me!!"

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
NO, I think you are quite right, there is no need to try and destroy each other when training in class, we all (well most of us) have to work for a living and it is never worth jeapardising that just for the sake of really 'going' for it.

Besides, as we all can no doubt attest to, accidents happen within a dojo/dojang/training hall whether we want them to or not. For example, 2 of my students, who do go against each other harder than against anyone else, although still not at full power, both threw a low leg kick and did the typical shin clashing thing. Nasty bruises and both of them limped for a few minutes, but as they both didn't throw the technique at full power they walked out similing with no problems. It could have been a hell of a lot worse if they had been truly trying to destroy each other.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Training is just that!!! No need to try to hurt each other!!! Nothing to prove in the Dojang!

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We conduct sparring normally with light contact but keeping the pace up. There is absolutely no reason to destroy each other during training. For one no one wants to get injured and hold up their own training. Accidents happen for sure, but in a controlled environment it should be minimal.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Training is also the environment where you make mistakes as you test your limits. Not going full out allows you to make those mistakes and learn from them without serious injury. The more you risk injury by being extremely aggressive, the more you have to rely on "comfortable" techniques to keep from being injured. You ultimately deprive yourself of the opportunity to grow because you aren't taking risks. Overly aggressive training can be self defeating.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes. Destroy him. Stomp the groin. Take his mother out for a nice seafood dinner, and never call her again. Then come back and stomp the groin again.

No, you need to challenge your opponent with your attack ethic, and they need to challenge you. That doesn't have to mean danger or over-aggressive sparring. It means a punch to the philtrum is just that, and not pulled, or redirected to the side unless you redirect it (I hate that). It means directing appropriate techniques to appropriate targets with meaning and intent, but not in terminator-like 'he absolutely will not stop until you are dead' aggressive onslaught. Nobody learns much that way, and you get through training partners very quickly.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And one more important thing: you have to make sure your students understand those ideas.
Sometimes young students can get very excited about sparring and lose sight of the goal they need to accomplish there.
So from time to time, or when the situation asks, we need to remind them to work together and not against each other (and even against themselves actually) when sparring, so they'll have the best benefits of it.

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando o Tapatalk 2

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sparring in class is working together, not against one another. We're not there to conquer or "win" anything, but to sharpen our skills with our opponent. As I tell my students, "if you break your friends you won't have anyone to play with.":)

This is one the best repliy I ever read in a lomg tome, thanks for your words.

Manny

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
As many have stated before, during normal class training contact should be kept light while keeping the pace at a high level. However, having been a part of "tournament team" practices, it changes a little bit.

In a prior school tournament team practices were meant for students who wanted to regularly compete in olympic style tournaments. As such the pace was faster, the contact was heavier. While we never went 100% power, it was definitely more than in a regular class. It was an understood apsect of being at that practice.

As a martial artist, I do think we need to amp it up every now and again. We have to experience heavy contact to know how to metally stay focused when we are hit in tournament or self defense situations. Obviously this can't be done every class or with every fellow student. When a student reaches black belt level their training should start to include more intense sparring.

Remember, train like you fight for you fight like you train.

Latest Discussions