Black belt testing

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know all schools have different requirements, but I was just wondering what some of yours were for your test or what you may have your students do?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our tests consists of the following:

All techniques from white - black belt (kicking, punching, blocking, stances)
All kata (Taikioko 1-3, Tai-ichi gedon, Wansu, Gyakusei, Anaku, Empi-sho, Neifuchin, Basai-dai, Seionchin, Sanchin, Danaho, Tai-ichi neko)
Bunkai for all kata
15 Ippon
10 Taezus
8 Circular self defense
10 Advance self defense
6 locks
10 escapse
Defense against knife
Defense against stick
Freeform self defese
Freeform escapes/locks
Basic arnis strikes and blocks
Kobudo - Tsuisho (bo form), Shichi no konsho (bo form), Bosho (bo form) Nunchackusho (Nunchaku form), Sai theory, kama theory, bo theory, nunchaku theory, tonfa theory...We must apply theory to our empty hand forms
Mental information - 8 faces of shorei, power theory, ways to recognize the shorei system, symbolism of school patch, history of our system, lineage...there is more but you get the picture.
Walking the line - In a nutshell all the black belts line up in a single file line facing you. The first person attacks and you defend as you push through them...keep in mind once you defend against them they go to the back of the line. This continues until you back the line up to a certain point or they stop the drill.
Written paper on a topic martial art related
Finally, if you have a black belt in another system you must be prepared to execute any or all forms from that system.

I think that covers it.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
thats an interesting BB test, very comprehensive
Thank you. Sensei Sharkey holds a BB test once a year and all his black belts fly in or drive in or walk in to be there. Last year there were no canidates, this year there are 4 adult black belt canidates, one of them being me (may God have mercy on my soul...or at least bring my death quick...which ever is more convenient for him. ha.ha.ha). During the next 3 months I will be cramming my TKD forms and TSD forms bagain into my memory. The test will lasts from 4-6 hours depending on the amount of people taking it.

This year he is doing one thing new and that is allowing Jr. BB canidates (4 of them) to test along side the adults. Pretty much they will have the same test minus a couple of forms and the locks. So it should be interesting.

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know all schools have different requirements, but I was just wondering what some of yours were for your test or what you may have your students do?

PM me your email address and I will send you our application packet. It outlines the requirements of the test and what the students have to do before the day of testing (i.e. Community service, class attendance) and the written exam.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
PM me your email address and I will send you our application packet. It outlines the requirements of the test and what the students have to do before the day of testing (i.e. Community service, class attendance) and the written exam.

Hey no fair...you have to share with the rest of the class. :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Assuming you're not just interested in TKD... My tests tend to be all day affairs. There are resting breaks after every two hour intervals. I've taken 3 students so far to black belt and I'm very proud of all of them. Two of them failed the first time.
======================================

Demonstrate all basic stances and stance shifts
Demonstrate all hand strikes and kicks in random combinations
Demonstrate breaking power with hands (minimum 3 boards), kicks (minimum 3 boards) and in combination (minimum 4 boards in less than 5 seconds with at least 3 techniques)

Sanchin testing:
sanchin performed 10 times in a row (usually takes 45 min to an hour) with INTENSE shime testing

kata:
gekkisai dai ichi
gekkisai dai ni
saifa
gekiha
seiunchin
shisochin
sanseiru

optional kata (any two from this list):
pinan yondan
pinan godan
naihanchi shodan
passai
shorin-ryu seisan

formal bunkai sets (many TKD students won't be familiar with them, but they are essentially two man katas which teach the surface level applications to the solo kata; this is an example video <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcCj1_x77Ms">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcCj1_x77Ms</a> :
kihon bunkai gekkisai dai ichi
kihon bunkai gekkisai dai ni
kihon bunkai saifa
kihon bunkai gekiha
kihon bunkai seiunchin
kihon bunkai shisochin
kihon bunkai sanseiru

meditation & breath control:
demonstrate proper breathing during the test and during a formal observation period

impromtu bunkai demonstration:
at least two from each of the following kata
sanchin
gekkisai dai ichi or dai ni
saifa
seiunchin
shisochin
sanseiru

aiki/jujutsu/judo techniques done from both sides in response to straight or round blow:
ikkyo
nikyo
sankyo
yonkyo
kotegaeshi
shihonage
iriminage
kaitenage
o goshi
o guruma
osoto gari
osoto guruma
tomoe nage
deashi harai
ippon seionage

self-defense (using movements from kata):
wrist grab
cross wrist grab
lapel grab
front choke
rear choke
bear hug
rear bear hug
prone position with someone on top
knife attacks (4)
club attacks (4)
chain attack

kobudo:
kihon-kata-no-bo
kihon-kata-no-bo
tokomine-no-kun (sho)
kumi bo nidan
bo/bo kumite #1
kihon-kata-no-tonfa
tokomine-no-kun (dai)
bo/bo kumite #2
bamahiga-no-tonfa (sho)
bo/tonfa kumite #1

jiyu kumite:
3 rounds of 1 vs. 1
2 rounds of 2 vs. 1
1 round of 3 vs. 1
1 round vs. any brown belt or dan holder present who wishes to test the candidate (funny how all the brown belts are DYING to give their friend a few licks)
1 round vs. me (by now the black belt candidate should be very tired; I will be testing primarily for spirit, endurance, and courage at this point)

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It is 6 pages in microsoft word and I am too lazy to type it all out lol. Basically the test starts at 9am with a 1 mile run for kids, 2 miles for adults using the Army physical fitness standard for time limits. The students then have one hour to report to the dojang. We do not allow any spectators for black belt testing, including parents. From there, they do a two page written test, turn in their Essay and other required paper work (i.e. community service documentation, Kukkiwon application, and signed activity sheet for the month prior to the test), then the physical exam begins.

All candidates are required to do 50 continuous Jumping jacks, push-ups, and V-ups after warming up with basic techniques. Each student is then required to demonstrate all lower ranking forms (Taegeuk 1-8), while answering questions about each form and required knowledge for that belt level. They then demonstrate 5 One-steps of their own creation, 10 ho sin sool attacks from different partners, then put on gear for sparring.

Sparring matches consist of one and a half minute rounds, they have to spar every other black belt in the dojang at least one round, even children vs. adults. Candidates for 2nd Dan/poom or above also have to spar several rounds with multiple opponents.

Once sparring is completed,they get a short rest period before breaking begins. Depending on what dan/poom they are testing for, they have to do between 2-6 board breaks using kicking techniques, and one or more brick breaks with hand techniques. The number of bricks is determined by what dan/poom they are testing for. Their test results come in the mail within a week or so, and if they pass they get invitations to the graduation ceremony, which is mostly for the parents and family members.

Last edited:

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
<edit: d'oh! I study American Karate, not TKD, so you may not be interested>

I haven't taken our black belt test, or attended one, so I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out, but here goes:

6 minutes of jump rope
6 minutes of shadow boxing (free form or specified combos, per testers)
50 situps
50 pushups

Paperwork (done beforehand, turned in as preparation)
Written test
3 outside school reports
3 outside tournament reports
Brown Belt diary

10 curriculum kata (H forms 1-4, To San, Heian 4, Hwa Rang, Tekkie 1, Chung Mu, and Bassai Dai)

1 original specialty (weapon or musical) kata

1 original empty hand kata

All techniques, white through black
All self-defense sequences, white through black (there are 54 of these)
Self-defense (free form) against 10 attacks (3 different defenses for each)
All technique combinations (I think there are about 30)

3 hours (yes, that's right, hours) of light to moderate contact sparring with no breaks (not in rounds); fresh opponents rotated in frequently. No stopping for points, either. I've mentioned this before, and had people say it's impossible, but it's obviously not, since I know a few dozen black belts who did it. And yes, it's brutal.

Various surprises; some sections repeated, depending on whether the testers are happy with the way they looked the first time.

The whole test lasts anywhere from 8 to 15 hours, depending on whether anything is repeated.

I'm sure I've left some things out. Hmph.

BTW, our brown belt tests contain all of this stuff except the 3 hours of sparring and the 10 attacks for free form self-defense. We take brown belt tests every 3 months starting with the first one (testing from purple to 3rd degree brown) whether we are taking a stripe off or not--participation is required. There are some combos added in at the 3nd brown level and some more at the 3rd brown level; the original empty hand kata is first tested at the 2nd degree brown test and the original specialty kata at the 1st degree brown test. My 3rd degree test also included fingertip pushups (not graded on this, though; good thing, since I have arthritic knuckles and could not really do them) and an exercise where you and a partner hook kick each other in the head. I will test for my 2nd degree on June 12th, so I'm practicing like a maniac. Brown belt tests last 3+ hours.

Last edited:

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
no spectators?

let us know how your lawsuit goes when you get sued.

For what? I have been doing it that way for the last 12 years, never had a problem with it. Do you get to sit with your child while they are at school, or take their SAT exam?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our first school did not allow spectators for the morning portion of the BB tests. Afternoon was open though to everyone. Testing was 6AM - 6PM, or later if needed.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm always happy for spectators to come watch our black belt exams, as rare as they are. It's a happy occasion for the candidate and their families. After all, they spend hours upon hours training away from their loved ones; they should be allowed to display to their families and friends just exactly what they've been studying and why the sacrifices made were worthwhile. And having spectators is just another way to rachet up the tension for the candidates.

Why wouldn't you want people to watch the test?

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not just interest in TKD... I really like everything I read so far... I don't under stand some of the vocabulary but still I get the jist of it. Really thanks.

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm always happy for spectators to come watch our black belt exams, as rare as they are. It's a happy occasion for the candidate and their families. After all, they spend hours upon hours training away from their loved ones; they should be allowed to display to their families and friends just exactly what they've been studying and why the sacrifices made were worthwhile. And having spectators is just another way to rachet up the tension for the candidates.

Why wouldn't you want people to watch the test?

We hold a ceremony after the test when we award the belts and certificates. That is for the family members to see, then the student receives the cheering and accolades that come with passing the test.

Part of testing for black belt in my philosophy is being able to stand there in front of a panel of judges on your own merit, and maintain the clarity of thought and composure to perform. Please don't infer anything from this, but our test is truly that. My goal is to push them to their physical and mental limit, so that the test becomes a process of self discovery.

I would hope at some point during, or after the test, they feel like they truly earned it. Their attitude and self-perception should become that of a black belt. When I test them, I am not asking them to do anything they have not done hundreds of times with mom and dad watching during class time. When you change the circumstances, particularly when testing Jr. Black belts, it changes their perception of the test.

The ceremony following the test is designed for audience. If the student passes, we have a tea ceremony and award the belt and certificate. The black belt is tied on the first time by the instructor to represent humility, and they get to take pictures and video of the event. Following the ceremony, all the families go out to dinner to celebrate. All Black Belt students are required to participate in both events, even if they are not testing.

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We hold a ceremony after the test when we award the belts and certificates. That is for the family members to see, then the student receives the cheering and accolades that come with passing the test.

Part of testing for black belt in my philosophy is being able to stand there in front of a panel of judges on your own merit, and maintain the clarity of thought and composure to perform. Please don't infer anything from this, but our test is truly that. My goal is to push them to their physical and mental limit, so that the test becomes a process of self discovery.

I would hope at some point during, or after the test, they feel like they truly earned it. Their attitude and self-perception should become that of a black belt. When I test them, I am not asking them to do anything they have not done hundreds of times with mom and dad watching during class time. When you change the circumstances, particularly when testing Jr. Black belts, it changes their perception of the test.

The ceremony following the test is designed for audience. If the student passes, we have a tea ceremony and award the belt and certificate. The black belt is tied on the first time by the instructor to represent humility, and they get to take pictures and video of the event. Following the ceremony, all the families go out to dinner to celebrate. All Black Belt students are required to participate in both events, even if they are not testing.

I like all of this...
just a few questions:
1.How do you keep the parents from complaining about not being able to see the test?
2. I like the part of having to wait to see if you pass, have you had problems with this also?
3. Do you get them a school dan at the ceremony and then the KKW when it comes in ?
4.If they fail how do you handle the retest?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you mean?

you DONT allow parent sto watch thier kids, and one gets hurt?

you might as well sign over your school to them.

thats in addition to the fact that it is stupid. I REFUSE to EVER be alone with a minor.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That sounds great and is exactly what my belt test is designed to foster also. Candidates in my test are fatigued both mentally and emotionally as it's a long ordeal with much knowledge and skill to demonstrate if one is to pass. I also make sure they get the tar beaten out of them doing the test, as it's partially one of courage and perseverance.

Everyone in my school knows our tests aren't pleasant. This is part of the our social compact in the dojo and there is no misunderstanding as it takes years to learn everything before one is eligible to test. That said, I still welcome spectators as they too are made aware of what they will likely see during an 8 hour test. I don't allow people to come and go during the exam, by the way. It's a total lockdown until we finish one way or another.

Latest Discussions