Why so much pading?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, but still to a greater degree than TKDoins or Karatekas. And they are conditioned better. The "worst" kickboxer will of course more often than not beat the worst TKDoin. It's very logical.
What a load of nonsense you talk. For a supposed Philosophy undergraduate, you don't do much to challenge your own opinions and supposed knowledge, do you?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
What a load of nonsense you talk. For a supposed Philosophy undergraduate, you don't do much to challenge your own opinions and supposed knowledge, do you?

A Philosophy degree means nothing outside of Philosophy. I don't understand why people think it's indicative of anything. A Physics degree is far more impressive.

How do I challenge myself? I could start training Muay Thai and verify my assumptions. I see no other way.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A Philosophy degree means nothing outside of Philosophy. I don't understand why people think it's indicative of anything. A Physics degree is far more impressive.

Hey, you were the one who boasted about being a gifted individual and told us you were a philosophy undergrad, so you must think it indicative of something. I don't view an undergraduate status as indicative of anything.

If you believe in Philosophy in any way, you should be questioning your supposed knowledge, not thrusting it upon others who already understand your view to be incorrect.

How do I challenge myself? I could start training Muay Thai and verify my assumptions. I see no other way.

Crack on then. But the way of Philosophy is not to verify what one assumes to be true, but to attempt to disprove it. That would require you to compete in a WTF competition. Or an ITF comp. You know, one of the ones you believe to be tippy tap foot fencing BS, but are in your words 'too pretty' to risk participating in.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Philosophy degree means nothing outside of Philosophy. I don't understand why people think it's indicative of anything

So, when you posted up that we shouldn't argue with you because you are a philosophy student ( and therefore superior to us) did you forget that it isn't indicative of anything?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you believe in Philosophy in any way, you should be questioning your supposed knowledge, not thrusting it upon others who already understand your view to be incorrect.

The basics of any meaningful discussion is argumentation - arguing for what you believe in. That is what I am doing. My Philosophy degree is indicative of verbal comprehension. I can be rhetorically devious if I like, I can be jerk, I can be a moron. It is all completely irrelevant to my degree. My superior intelligence was present before I ever entered Philosophy.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Actually it would verify nothing.

Only that you as an individual were lacking.

Empirically speaking you'd need a much larger sample size, from each major group of TKD.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually it would verify nothing.

Only that you as an individual were lacking.

Empirically speaking you'd need a much larger sample size, from each major group of TKD.

Not if you know the motivation behind individuals picking TKD or Karate over Muay Thai, for an example. I assert, quite confidently, that Thai boxers are in a different league. The weakies of those groups still trumphs the weakies of TKDs and Karate. If tougher guys gravitated towards MT training, then we are well within our rights to conclude: Tougher guys are at MT, not TKD.

Quit crying over martial arts (...) and accept reality.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The basics of any meaningful discussion is argumentation - arguing for what you believe in. That is what I am doing. My Philosophy degree is indicative of verbal comprehension. I can be rhetorically devious if I like, I can be jerk, I can be a moron. It is all completely irrelevant to my degree. My superior intelligence was present before I ever entered Philosophy.

You might want to question that piece of knowledge. The one about your superior intelligence. It really isn't coming across here. What grounds do you have for thinking yourself superior?

I read my degree thesis back a few weeks ago. Horrible to read, I wrote it when I was 22, and reading it back I sound like an perennially arrogant little douchebag. At the time, I thought I knew everything. I thought I was way more intelligent than everyone else.

With time and age, I have come to realise that I are not daddy's special little snowflake. I'm just like everyone else, but maybe a little more thoughtful. You come to realise how little you actually know, and you look back upon the arrogance of your youth with regret.

Either that, or you stay just the same until you die. It can go both ways.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
You might want to question that piece of knowledge. The one about your superior intelligence. It really isn't coming across here. What grounds do you have for thinking yourself superior?

I read my degree thesis back a few weeks ago. Horrible to read, I wrote it when I was 22, and reading it back I sound like an perennially arrogant little douchebag. At the time, I thought I knew everything. I thought I was way more intelligent than everyone else.

With time and age, I have come to realise that I are not daddy's special little snowflake. I'm just like everyone else, but maybe a little more thoughtful. You come to realise how little you actually know, and you look back upon the arrogance of your youth with regret.

Either that, or you stay just the same until you die. It can go both ways.

You age 50 is not more representative of "who you are" than when you were 30. It's just different. You could hypothetically live 150 years more and revert back to positions you held at age 30. It's arbitrary.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You age 50 is not more representative of who "you are" then when you were 30. It's just different. You could hypothetically live 150 years more and revert back to positions you held at age 30. It's arbitrary.
So what grounds do you have for thinking yourself superior?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
my hole life.

What's life as a hole like, sounds very empty to me. :)

8 out of 10, or worse, average joes, who happen to like the excercise and spiritual aspect of training will be demolished by a full contact fighter. Common sense informs me this.

And again what is your average Joe? In the statistical analysis I provided the average Joe was about 13 years old and had trained for a total of 14 months.

A Physics degree is far more impressive.

I have one of those.

A Philosophy degree means nothing outside of Philosophy.

Usually one earns a degree in order to use it either in a job or in real life so if it means nothing outside of your course when why learn it at all?

I can be rhetorically devious if I like, I can be jerk, I can be a moron.

You're off to a good start so far. ;)

My superior intelligence was present before I ever entered Philosophy.

Superior to what?

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not if you know the motivation behind individuals picking TKD or Karate over Muay Thai, for an example. I assert, quite confidently, that Thai boxers are in a different league. The weakies of those groups still trumphs the weakies of TKDs and Karate. If tougher guys gravitated towards MT training, then we are well within our rights to conclude: Tougher guys are at MT, not TKD.

Quit crying over martial arts (...) and accept reality.

This right here shows you have diversified who you've worked with much.

Train in more boxing gyms, you'll see MT and kick boxing guys who aren't taking kicks as well as Kukki guys. Just like MT kicks aren't some magically devastating kick, I know kukki guys who kick harder than some lf the competing kickboxers and MMA guys I work with

And vice versa

The other day I was training with a gentlemen who won a local MMA event, he caught a single back pivot to the gut and dropped.

Style v style is always spouted off by people who have stepped outside of their training very little and think they know it all.

Theres a reason the majority of MMA guys who actually fight having nothing but respect for other styles and very rarely spout of generalizations.

We see this in the UFC all the time, fighters delve in other arts and/or take input from other arts.

When you actually start training, and training outside of class (not just walking through whatever your "champion" dad or sahbum nim have you do in class) you realize style makes very little difference.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
What's life as a hole like, sounds very empty to me. :)

And again what is your average Joe? In the statistical analysis I provided the average Joe was about 13 years old and had trained for a total of 14 months.

I have one of those.

Usually one earns a degree in order to use it either in a job or in real life so if it means nothing outside of your course when why learn it at all?

You're off to a good start so far. ;)

Superior to what?

You are a Physics graduate, yet incorrectly agreed with me that speed increases mass.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not if you know the motivation behind individuals picking TKD or Karate over Muay Thai, for an example.

My motivation (as well as the motivations for many of our students) for picking TKD was for self defense.

I assert, quite confidently, that Thai boxers are in a different league.

And that is all it is, an assertion.

The weakies of those groups still trumphs the weakies of TKDs and Karate. If tougher guys gravitated towards MT training, then we are well within our rights to conclude: Tougher guys are at MT, not TKD.

Really? We are not a competition style and we don't spar full contact but there plenty of tough people that train with us. A few years ago one young lady was going for her Junior black belt and broke her ankle landing off a flying side kick. She still went on to spar the black belts and passed. Another student going for his checked himself out of the hospital the night before his Junior black belt grading and did his grading with a fractured hip and the flu. The toughness of the students is not the primary measure of a martial art.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
My motivation (as well as the motivations for many of our students) for picking TKD was for self defense.

And that is all it is, an assertion.

Really? We are not a competition style and we don't spar full contact but there plenty of tough people that train with us. A few years ago one young lady was going for her Junior black belt and broke her ankle landing off a flying side kick. She still went on to spar the black belts and passed. Another student going for his checked himself out of the hospital the night before his Junior black belt grading and did his grading with a fractured hip and the flu. The toughness of the students is not the primary measure of a martial art.

You can have fractures in skateboarding too. Doesn't mean A: Skateboarders are tough or B. Skateboarding is tough. Get real.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to post a picture of our Queen today at Richmond Castle, North Yorkshire. We watched as she presented a new Guidon to the Queen's Royal Lancers, motto 'Death or Glory'. I'll tell you why.
There should have been a young man on parade with his fellow soldiers standing proudly while the Queen took the salute. He wasn't, he died when an IED went off in Afghanistan. The last time I saw those soldiers with their lances and brass helmets was at his funeral. His nickname was 'Steptoe' and he was 20 years old, he was an outstanding soldier and my martial arts student. He was quiet, funny, he didn't boast, worked hard and was liked by everyone. He pulled his weight, backed his mates and died far far too young.
What he didn't do... didn't waste his life trying to convince people he was a genius or superior, he didn't boast about his dad ( he could have done believe me, he served in the same regiment in places close to you saving lives), he didn't BS, he wasn't full of excuses, he didn't think he knew it all, he had an 'empty cup' when he came to martial arts. In short La-place, he was everything you aren't, he may have only been 20 but he was a man, a mensch. My life and many others is better for knowing him. so, in closing I'd just like to say STFU and just train. RIP Trooper Andrew Howarth. Death or Glory.

10395170_1012698668749229_7274435178345384783_n.jpg

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

Latest Discussions