protective gear

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was young doing sparring (kyorugi) in the dojan we use nothing but maybe shin pads, in those days we had hogus but only used at tournamets.

When I come back after almost 17 years I was amazed of the full protective gear TKD classmates use, I laugh and remeber the old days and I reffused to use full protective gear.

However I've change my mind afther I spar with a classmate who is a surgeon, he used his hogu,his forearm/elbow pads,his shin and instep pads,the helmet and even mouth protector. The doctor said to me, Manny I need to protect me cause a hurt or disable hand makes me lose money, I'm a surgeon an need my hands to work.

I have to teel you I have graceful thin feet and that's why I use shin/instep pads, but lately as I use my hands to spar my hands hurt me, don't know if because the age or what, so now I want to buy the protective gloves and need a helmet too, however I still dislike the hogu.

The hogu does not allow me to move well and kick confortabily it reduces my ability to move, but there are some guys who kick pretty nasty and don't wana a crack rib or ribs.

So been 41 with bad feet with some bacon around me, a little slow I'm gona use full protective gear, don't mind if you say I'm a Nancy I really don't care, last night I did light sparring with a youngster that put his elbow in the path of my instep jajajajajajaja and now have a swollen foot ouch!!!!

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny you should use protective gear all the time and whoever says you are a Nancy tell them to get in the ring without it and see.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manny you should use protective gear all the time and whoever says you are a Nancy tell them to get in the ring without it and see.

Ummmm.....Terry, We spar without protective gear all the time. Well, except for a cup and mouth guard.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Once you aquire responsibilities in life and cross a certain age thresh hold protection is vital.

However those who are still younger, 10' tall and bullet proof, you may ommit the gear. You will however regret it later in life.

I have heard the stories of the glory days of yesteryear, before head gear and the likes. Luckily all of the folks I converse with are still able to remember all of it. not in the same league, but I had the mixed blessing of meeting the one person responsible for helmet rules on German horse racing tracks: The gentleman was well beyond the normal in his brain functions after suffering a fall, lucky for him his worst falls were caught by a tight knit community.

The deal is, the average MA practitioner has a day job and responsibilities outside the Dojang to fulfill. Unnecessary risks are just asking for trouble. There is a good hurt to be gained from working out (muscle soreness, a bit of stiffness) and a bad kind ( like broken and bruised stuff). Not everybody has the same tollarance, for pain and monetary loss...I am not for putting bubble wrap on everything in our lifes, but a bit of caution doesn't hurt.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ummmm.....Terry, We spar without protective gear all the time. Well, except for a cup and mouth guard.

I am sure do do not go at full speed without protective gear and if so you must be a youngster
icon10.gif
, at my age it help alot.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am sure do do not go at full speed without protective gear and if so you must be a youngster
icon10.gif

LOL, he'll appreciate the gear - if he still can train 20 years from now! ;)

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
icon10.gif

Your lips to Gods ears Terry, I'm 42 and we still fight like hell when we spar. Nothing like a freshly cracked rib first thing in the morning.
icon10.gif

It does make for a long work day tho.
icon9.gif

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I might be a wuss for wearing all the protective gears for sparring, but I am a WISE and SMART wuss.

9 months of tentinitis on the left foot for fighting w/o protection left me unable to walk, unable to sleep, unable to practice tkd. In turn I get fat and over weight.

I make money to pay for my sport is by using my hands, if its injured, then I can make money, that means I can't practice TKD.

I rather be a smart wuss than a...."can't find a right word w/o offending anyone".

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hogu are for Wussies

that being said, I have done the no gear sparring, it's fun.

sometimes, i fight without a cup, just to test myself

but i never, NEVER fight without shin pads anymore.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
We wear little to no protection when we spar. And we go pretty darn hard.

The thing about not wearing protection is that it makes you move a bunch more then when you have gear on.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would refuse to spar without full protective gear. I am the sole wage earner for the household and I have a wife and kids to look after. To purposely put myself in a situation where I can get injured would not be very bright.

Yes the hogu is a little uncomfortable and it does stop you twisting easily but, then again, so do broken ribs. The major difference is that a hogu is only annoying for a few minutes while you are fighting, a broken rib is annoying for a lot longer than that and it is more expensive.

Being a "wuss" means never having to explain why you have broken ribs.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hogu are for Wussies

that being said, I have done the no gear sparring, it's fun.

sometimes, i fight without a cup, just to test myself

but i never, NEVER fight without shin pads anymore.

Without a cup?! HAHAHAHAHAHA...silly men....

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
As TF said so eloquently about the hogu (the big maxi pad strapped on your chest), it is uncomfortable and hard to move in.

And I think Searcher is right, you tend to move about 100 mph faster when there's a bare fist coming at your face.

Wore the Maxi once, will never do it again

Will wear hands and feet sometimes with the beginners

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i knocked a girl up without protection once... not I wear it all the time.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
don't they make protective gear for a reason..... wasn't Jhoon Rhee that came up with the concept? Come on.... you don't need to get your *** kick everyday to be a TKDest.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I personally think shields are great. I once saw someone having one of their ribs broken by a kick, it looked very painful. It would have been even worse if he had not been wearing a shield.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I guess the best way to train is you come in and I kick you in the groin and punch you in the face until ether you quit,become a better blocker or you kick my ***! ether way after everyone watchs no one wants to train with us! So, how do you spread the wisdom of the martial arts if no one what to train. I now I heard stories of the good old days.. Well people use to marry thier cousins too.

Latest Discussions