Past Threads.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone besides myself go back and reread old threads?? I've done it quite often. When I was off on injury last year I went back to post one of the Last Person Thread, there is some funny stuff posted there..I was just curious so cast your vote..

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to go back and look at people views from a couple of years ago and where they stand today, pretty funny stuff there as well.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes like you to I have some time on my hands so I go back as well.
icon14.gif

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a lot of very good information in many of the old threads. You have someone who's an active poster for a certain period of time and has expertise in a particular area, so during that time there's a lot of discussion and information available in that area; but at another time there may well be no one around who's focused on that particular range of subject matter, so it doesn't get discussed. The constantly changing membership on sites like this means that sometimes the older threads have coverage that none of the recent ones do, just because of who was interested in what, when.

Another good reason for looking at older threads is just the flip side of what I was just saying: sometimes current topics turn out to have been covered in gory detail two, three or four years ago, and if you know what's going on in the older threads, sometimes you can avoid reinventing the wheel.

What's kind of funny is to see how certain topics never go out of style, particularly of the Horror Stories variety... Ashida Kim and Frank Dux have a small encyclopædia's worth of coverage each... :lol:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted no. I don't usually look at old threads. Occasionally, if I'm looking for information on something, I'll do a search for a topic. Maybe if I had more time I'd look through them more. I'm sure there's alot of informative, and very funny stuff. :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many of the old threads do seem to be started again but that is not in and of itself a bad thing. With the new members we tend to get a different thought once in a while and a different perspective.
Many of those old thread do have great information, that is why you often see links to them. This just adds information to the current thread.
Some of those old thread could be revived if anyone had new information or thoughts to add, and the discussion might continue with our new members adding to what has already been said.
Just reading those old thread might bring questions to the reader and bring about the creation of new threads

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is often interesting to see how my own views and others views have changed over the years as well as the way we present our views. I particularly enjoy older topics that I have read or participated in which give me the opportunity to challenge my held views then and now. That said I do not often have the time to search the interesting threads out just for the sake of reading them but do if they happen to be brought back to the surface or if I am searching for specific information.

Thanks for the thread Drac
Regards
Brian

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Still being a newbee on MT I like to read old post. There are plenty of great info on them and also so I don't:deadhorse

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love the old ones about people who they don't know and then years later they are training with those people.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
As Exile and Brian said (I think :)), I go back sometimes to learn--or relearn--something I'm working to improve or expand in my practice. Quite a few times I've found threads that were scribed before I got here, and they turn out to be better than any journal or book I've seen on that subject. Some of those I've even printed in anticipation of further reading when the subject comes up in my practice again in a few years, as the classic themes invariably do.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do go back and read the old threads. It is interesting to see where some of the old posters stand and the history they have.
lori

Latest Discussions