A Martial Talk Call to Action...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First of all, next tuesday...VOTE! Everyone who is of age, get out there and make this democracy work!

Secondly, from the research that I've done over the past few years, I can't tell you if your vote is actually going to count, be counted, or even be cast for who you thought you cast it for.

If you want details about this, there are numerous threads in the Study where this information is posted.

The bottom line is this, republican or democrat, we need to be viligant regarding our votes. We need to take responsibility to protect them because our government has failed to do so. Voting is the only thing that separates us from tyranny.

Personally, I will be taking the following action next Tuesday. I organized my buddies and we took the day off to volunteer at our poling place. We are bringing our video cameras and we are going to be watching for the following things...

1. If we have electronic voting machines, we are going to be watching for any tampering with these machines. It has been shown that a chimp with a screwdriver and a jump drive can hack these things. We will attempt to interview any "service" people.

2. If we are voting on paper ballots, we are going to verify the chain of hands they pass through in order to make sure they make it to the counting station and do not end up in trash bags.

3. In the event one of us are arrested, we attempt to get it on tape, get the officer's name, and make sure they tell us the law in which they are using. One of our friends is an attorney, so this may get interesting.

If any other MT members feel inspired to do likewise, please do so. I can't stress how important action like this is. Especially considering what has gone on in the past. If we let this election pass like the last three (2000, 2002, 2004) history may very well look back on this election as the point where democracy ceased to be relevant in America.

Again, to all MT members!

1. Vote!
2. Make sure your vote is counted!

Peace

upnorthkyosa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I may add ....

If you're not registered to vote, there is still time to register to vote. Some polling locations will allow you to register on the spot before you vote.

You must be 18 and a U.S. citizen to vote.

Pick up a pamphlet at your local post office and READ the measures you are voting for or against - you'll get much more information on the measures than you ever can from television, radio ads, street signs and newspaper op/ed pieces.

Register to vote and vote in all elections.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All of the Above !

I voted Monday Morning via absentee ballot. You can too.

Absentee ballots are expected to be numerous this year, because of the voting machine issues referred to above. Because of this, we may find some elections we think are resolved on November 8th, being changed by the 10th, as the absentee ballots are counted.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Indeed. Too many people don't vote because they don't think their vote will count - if all of those people came out and voted, that group could make a significant difference.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
upnorth, That's really sobering. Not I'm not absolutely sure any of my votes ever counted. And I'm not just limiting it to just since 2000. Was stepping behind the current and pulling levers foolproof? I don't know that that counted. Was it at least better than the machine I use now? The one that was put in place because of the problems in 2000 with the same voting machines that were apparently just fine in 1996? I liked pulling the levers better than the coloring in selections on a paper that I have now.

Anyway, definately be vigilant.

For those in Ohio voting absentee, make sure you know which number on your driver's license is your driver's license number. I heard on NPR this afternoon that some people are confused. The lawyers are working on it already.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Voted today, in fact, by absentee ballot. Darn it fell good checking all them D's, lol.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't recall numbers and I frankly don't have time to look them up right now, but I'm always apalled that out of all the people in the country eligible to vote (according to census, I think) somewhere around 25 percent actually vote. So what we see is the result of the voting minority (along with some tampering).

I would have to think that it would be far more difficult to tamper with a much, much larger portion of votes on a much wider scale.

I wonder how things would be different if 75 percent of the vote-eligible public did their civic duty?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorth, That's really sobering. Not I'm not absolutely sure any of my votes ever counted. And I'm not just limiting it to just since 2000. Was stepping behind the current and pulling levers foolproof? I don't know that that counted. Was it at least better than the machine I use now? The one that was put in place because of the problems in 2000 with the same voting machines that were apparently just fine in 1996? I liked pulling the levers better than the coloring in selections on a paper that I have now.

I'd like a receipt when I'm done and some way to verify things online... howevver, I'm guessing that won't happen anytime soon...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd like a receipt when I'm done and some way to verify things online... howevver, I'm guessing that won't happen anytime soon...

Would the receipt or online verification identify your selections? That would introduce the problems that a secret ballot was supposed to eliminate.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would the receipt or online verification identify your selections? That would introduce the problems that a secret ballot was supposed to eliminate.

There must be some way of doing it while maintaining secrecy. It would answer alot of problems... electronic voting machines were one step forward in technology, looks like we need another.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That is the challenge currently faced by such technology. The technology must be able to uniquely identify the voter and verify eligability. And then, when the vote is cast, it must immediately remove any identifying markers to the ballot. They were talking about this technology hurdler last week on Minnesota Public Radio. They anticipate it will be possible soon enough.

I, however, will still much prefer a paper ballot, placed in a locked wooden box.

And a National Holiday on election day.

Further, I don't think campaigns should start until six weeks before election day. I think all broadcast media should be required to devote two prime time hours per day to the campaigns at no cost during this six week period, as a civic responsibility for using our airwaves for profit during the remainder of the year. All elections should be publically financed.

And lastly, get rid of the damn '60 second debate' idea. Anybody who can summarize a complex policy issue in 60 seconds doesn't deserve the office.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't say it enough times, get out there and vote!

Personally, I'll be pushing/checking the L's.

Jeff

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to see real debates...not just infomercials.

But, as to the original ideas here, best of luck. Let us know the results.

Great idea btw.

Folks, read about the issues, make up your own mind, and go cast a vote for what you want. Not what the tv says, or the 'official party line' or the 'lessor of 2 evils'. There will be many choices....pick the one you want, even if you think they can't possibly win. If enough people show their support for these non-Big2 people, some of them might get in...and that begins the process of taking back our government.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just got a great email today. It contain a sample ballot so that I could see all those in my district and area. It included voting locations, voting rules/laws, information and links for all the candidates. I thought that was an awesome idea for those who may not keep up with current events.

We push everyone to vote, but do any of you feel an uneducated vote can also be dangerous?

This will be one of the toughest voting years for me. I am on the fence for a few races.

Great thread!

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
mrhnau, don't settle for a receipt. Demand a paper ballot. In this state we're hoping for paper ballot optical scanner voting machine. I've seen the electronic voting machine that print a "receipt," which by the way, you don't get to keep anyway.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The problem that we are facing is huge. As shesulsa pointed out, it is hard enough to just get people to go out and vote. This call of action goes beyond that. We CAN'T just go out and vote and trust that it will be counted. The last three elections have shown us enough hijinks...

This may be too little too late, but we need to find a way to organize as citizens in order to make sure our votes count. The government has provenly FAILED in this regard. And this is the part of this Call that I think needs to be taken more seriously.

I belong to a Unitarian church. One of the founding principles of our faith is democracy. This weekend, I'm going to try and organize other like minded people. My hope is to organize enough election monitors that we can cover the majority of the voting districts in our community.

Any hijinks will be alot harder to pull with informed people watching.

The bottom line is this...if you feel so inclined, think about how you can make sure that votes in your district are tallied correctly. Think about how you can make sure this happens. I can tell you from direct experience, if you volunteer, almost NO election board will deny the help.

Remember, our democracy is on the stake and the criminal element has the match lit...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My attorney friend reported back to us and has said that as far as the law goes, if we are poll watching IN OUR OWN DISTRICT, we cannot be turned away. The plan right now is to split into pairs. We'll have one person keep an eye on things at the polls, videotaping any event that seems to go awry. The other person will perform an exit poll. We are currently ironing out a few details regarding the exit poll and I'll be signing off shortly to wrap all of this up. Anyway, wish us luck. Hopefully we are just really really bored all day...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My attorney friend reported back to us and has said that as far as the law goes, if we are poll watching IN OUR OWN DISTRICT, we cannot be turned away. The plan right now is to split into pairs. We'll have one person keep an eye on things at the polls, videotaping any event that seems to go awry. The other person will perform an exit poll. We are currently ironing out a few details regarding the exit poll and I'll be signing off shortly to wrap all of this up. Anyway, wish us luck. Hopefully we are just really really bored all day...

Good luck to you John, fingers crossed.

Be sure to check with your attorney about the legality of videotaping in the polling place and whether or not you can record audio. The situation you describe is (legally) a bit dicey. Depending on the circumstance it could put the videographer in a position where he or she runs afoul of FCC wiretapping statutes.

Hate to see anyone get in trouble. Wishing you all a quiet day at the polls. :)

Latest Discussions