possibly getting a motorcycle

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm contemplating it. I've not ridden before, so there would be a huge learning curve.

Couple of concerns. For starters, I'm 6'3ish. I don't want a bike that's going to kill my back, so no shrimp-mobile.

I'm not a speed demon by any means, so I don't really care for something that can comfortably drive at 200 MPH.

I don't care for Harley's, especially since I'm a beginner. Too expensive. I find the noise level unacceptable too. Simply does not match my exceptionally quiet persona.

I have a love for militaria, but I've not been able to find any military bikes. Even if I can find one, would they be lower quality or comfort level by default? How do they compare with modern bikes? Anyone know of a good source for purchasing a somewhat modern military bike?

I'm open for suggestions on bike types, as long as they meet the above stated criteria and a reasonable price. Not willing to dump $10k into a bike. Used is quite fun :)

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know a pretty tall guy in my city who owns a Ural bike for those reasons. I know the company's Russian, but he's got some WWII mods for his Ural. So now he has this killer motorcycle, with side car, that looks like it's from WWII, but it runs smoothly.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I'm contemplating it. I've not ridden before, so there would be a huge learning curve.

Couple of concerns. For starters, I'm 6'3ish. I don't want a bike that's going to kill my back, so no shrimp-mobile.

I'm not a speed demon by any means, so I don't really care for something that can comfortably drive at 200 MPH.

I don't care for Harley's, especially since I'm a beginner. Too expensive. I find the noise level unacceptable too. Simply does not match my exceptionally quiet persona.

I have a love for militaria, but I've not been able to find any military bikes. Even if I can find one, would they be lower quality or comfort level by default? How do they compare with modern bikes? Anyone know of a good source for purchasing a somewhat modern military bike?

I'm open for suggestions on bike types, as long as they meet the above stated criteria and a reasonable price. Not willing to dump $10k into a bike. Used is quite fun :)

Wow so many questions..

Can you ride a bicycle? If so a motorcycle should be no problem..

Smart man..You are gonna have to sit on a lot of bike to find out which ones feel comfortable

I'm not a speed demon by any means, so I don't really care for something that can comfortably drive at 200 MPH

Then avoid like the plague those crotch rockets you see whizzing by you on the highway..

The only Harleys that are loud are the ones with aftermarket mufflers..My first one had stock mufflers that were very quiet..I've paid as little as $2,000 for a used Sportster and $8,000 for a used Electra Glide..Just for argument sake I have NEVER lost money on any of the Harleys I have owned..

A lot of the early military bike were Harleys or BMW's..They were not very comfortable looking..I have never seen any military bikes for sale..

I'm open for suggestions on bike types, as long as they meet the above stated criteria and a reasonable price. Not willing to dump $10k into a bike. Used is quite fun

You are gonna have to visit a lot of bike shops..Find one that feels comfortable to sit on and allows both of your feet to touch the ground flatly..Then you are either gonna have to take a riders course or teach yourself like I did.first in the driveway and then a parking lot and finally the streets..If you can drive a manual shift car then shifting a bike should be no problem

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just my first instinct says that you might enjoy a BMW. They're incredibly reliable, low-upkeep, comfortable, and quiet.

Of course, they're high-end, too!

Oh, and paint it green for the military look! (J/K!)

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you ride a bicycle? If so a motorcycle should be no problem..
If you can drive a manual shift car then shifting a bike should be no problem
Yes for both. Learned on a manual shift.

The only Harleys that are loud are the ones with aftermarket mufflers..My first one had stock mufflers that were very quiet..I've paid as little as $2,000 for a used Sportster and $8,000 for a used Electra Glide..Just for argument sake I have NEVER lost money on any of the Harleys I have owned..
Most of what I'm seeing is way costly. Can't dump too much into one. I'll keep my eyes open. I just can't stand the noise.

A lot of the early military bike were Harleys or BMW's..They were not very comfortable looking..I have never seen any military bikes for sale..
I've got an old Willys Jeep. I see them periodically. I have yet to see a military bike. I wonder why? Heck, I've even seen an occasional tank for sale!

You are gonna have to visit a lot of bike shops..Find one that feels comfortable to sit on and allows both of your feet to touch the ground flatly..Then you are either gonna have to take a riders course or teach yourself like I did.first in the driveway and then a parking lot and finally the streets..
I might try that... I'm seeing some decent looking bikes for sale that are cheap ($2k range).

Thanks for the detailed response!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started a thread on the very same thing not long ago. I'm in the same boat as you and the gang here gave me some great advice. Here's the link to that thread.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know a pretty tall guy in my city who owns a Ural bike for those reasons. I know the company's Russian, but he's got some WWII mods for his Ural. So now he has this killer motorcycle, with side car, that looks like it's from WWII, but it runs smoothly.

I must be getting old as totally forgot about those.The guy on the street behind me has one with the sidecar and it looks and sounds great..Yeah if ya painted it OD Green it could look like a military bike..

Latest Discussions