Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
ter·ror·ism
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
noun
  1. the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Seems pretty clear to me. The first three words say it all.

I know there is a dictionary definition, however the definitions you get from the FBI, Interpol, IDF, CIA, various Law enforcement organizations, various country militaries, various governments, do not all match.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I know there is a dictionary definition, however the definitions you get from the FBI, Interpol, IDF, CIA, various Law enforcement organizations, various country militaries, various governments, do not all match.
Add to this that there are statutory definitions. Something may meet the dictionary definition of "terrorism" but not actually meet the legal definition of terrorism. For example, "Domestic Terrorism" has to meet the following criteria:

18 U.S. Code § 2331 - Definitions
Section 5 the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that—
(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;
(B)appear to be intended—
(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
(C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States;

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

The insults and politics needs to stop, now.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the only thing I said about Trump is that the shine seems to be fading on his clan, and that Tucker Carlson seems to be the rising star in the fascist segment of our country.

But either way, take all the cheap shots on Biden you like. Doesn't bother me one bit. And I feel no compulsion to cover for him at all. If he screws up, I'm more than happy to call him out for it. I'm more worried about the policy decisions, though.

How about I'll pay attention to the grown up stuff, and you can take all the pot shots you like, kiddo.
Yep, your standard goading. Like I always say you are consistent.
I agree Carlson is a wack job and other wack jobs are presenting him as a conservative heir apparent. This could not be further from the truth. To my knowledge Trump never showed any support for him but you could likely find something you perceive as counter to that.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you have a way to cite these? I believe you when you cite these sources but I imagine there is a spin or a subtle agenda because it is said public ally or quoted by the media or news sources.
I will find the case law for terrorism and see if it varies.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Do you have a way to cite these? I believe you when you cite these sources but I imagine there is a spin or a subtle agenda because it is said public ally or quoted by the media or news sources.
I will find the case law for terrorism and see if it varies.

I have a college certificate in what was then called a in terrorism, name was later changed to Homeland security. I have no agenda no spin, no politics. Want to look, look at the various organizations around the world that have a definition of terrorism. Very few agree completely. Throw domestic terrorism into the mix, it changes more.

I have no horse in this race, does not much matter to me either way, I'm just relating what I learned in the program I was in

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ohh horse races!
Did I mention I own a hoof nail in last year's Kentucky Derby winner?!
maybe 2.....
I just wish I owned a real horse

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OH, hey
We might actually see some daylight today....
(I hate when I wake up and it's supposed to be light, but it isn't. And not because of the time change)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ohh horse races!
Did I mention I own a hoof nail in last year's Kentucky Derby winner?!
maybe 2.....
I just wish I owned a real horse
When I was in high school I had a summer gig working and taking care of race horses. Not my cup of tea.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Can someone explain hot cross buns? We made some today just for fun, but what's the connection to easter? Is it literally just that there's a cross on them?

They were tasty. My daughter bread to a food bank through a local charity, and they're doing these buns in addition to the usual loaves of bread, so we were just trying it out. I'm sure next time they'll be even better, but it was a good first attempt.
PXL_20210329_012633641.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can someone explain hot cross buns? We made some today just for fun, but what's the connection to easter? Is it literally just that there's a cross on them?

They were tasty. My daughter bread to a food bank through a local charity, and they're doing these buns in addition to the usual loaves of bread, so we were just trying it out. I'm sure next time they'll be even better, but it was a good first attempt.
View attachment 23700
I guess so. It's not a thing where I am from.
Man, I miss those big easter feasts my aunt put out,

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

View attachment 23700

A 12th-century monk introduced the cross to the bun.
The origins of hot cross buns may go back as far as the 12th century. According to the story, an Anglican monk baked the buns and marked them with a cross in honor of Good Friday. Over time they gained popularity, and eventually became a symbol of Easter weekend.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A 12th-century monk introduced the cross to the bun.
The origins of hot cross buns may go back as far as the 12th century. According to the story, an Anglican monk baked the buns and marked them with a cross in honor of Good Friday. Over time they gained popularity, and eventually became a symbol of Easter weekend.
I also googled it. I was hoping someone could give me some more information than I could read for myself on a blog: Here’s Why We Eat Hot Cross Buns at Easter

And plagiarism is bad. You shouldn't do it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Crazy how fast Starbucks grew in the 90s and 00s. When I was in high school in the 80s, there were a lot of cafes and diners, and I think there were maybe three Starbucks locations (a couple downtown and one on the Ave). We drank a lot of IHOP and Denny's coffee, because they were open all night, and hung out at some coffee shops like Foster's Cafe on Bainbridge Island and the Last Exit in the U-district. Both of those are long gone, but I have fond memories.

I like that one Caribou holdout!

Reminds me of this one, though I'm guessing people who really like Mexican food don't eat at Taco Bell. Wendy's actually sounds right for Washington. We have a Wendy's, Sonic, McD's and Arby's near my house, and if we're going to eat fast food, we'll usually go to Wendy's. :D

image.jpg

This map highlights the most popular fast food chain in each state during quarantine

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Crazy how fast Starbucks grew in the 90s and 00s. When I was in high school in the 80s, there were a lot of cafes and diners, and I think there were maybe three Starbucks locations (a couple downtown and one on the Ave). We drank a lot of IHOP and Denny's coffee, because they were open all night, and hung out at some coffee shops like Foster's Cafe on Bainbridge Island and the Last Exit in the U-district. Both of those are long gone, but I have fond memories.

Reminds me of this one, though I'm guessing people who really like Mexican food don't eat at Taco Bell. Wendy's actually sounds right for Washington. We have a Wendy's, Sonic, McD's and Arby's near my house, and if we're going to eat fast food, we'll usually go to Wendy's. :D

image.jpg

This map highlights the most popular fast food chain in each state during quarantine

One of my favorite Mexican places on the west coast is "Sharky's woodfired Mexican grill" But so far I found the best Mexican food in Arizona

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

image.jpg

Sonic's is nasty.
and such a stupid setup these days. They can't even reach your window anymore with your order

And I avoid the Lord's Pickled Chicken if I can.
Come to look at the map, I don't like either option much. Mickey D's in a pinch, or the King...Dairy Queen has good food as well,
and I find that all 'Mexican' places taste the same, and pretty much every dish on the menu.
I would like some authentic food. not the same-ole stuff. Patty Jinrich has a lovely cooking show on PBS I try to catch when ever I get the chance

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sonic's is nasty.
and such a stupid setup these days. They can't even reach your window anymore with your order

And I avoid the Lord's Pickled Chicken if I can.
Come to look at the map, I don't like either option much. Mickey D's in a pinch, or the King...Dairy Queen has good food as well,
and I find that all 'Mexican' places taste the same, and pretty much every dish on the menu.
I would like some authentic food. not the same-ole stuff. Patty Jinrich has a lovely cooking show on PBS I try to catch when ever I get the chance
We have a small chain called Aceituno's that's good Mexican, and some other taquerias that are good fast food. Taqueria El Riconsito is delicious. I'm not a big menudo fan, but I've heard from friends that theirs is delicious.

There's also a steakhouse down the hill that is delicious, if a little spendy. But man, that's good food, if you like meat. Asadero Prime | Mexican Prime & Wagyu Steakhouses in WA

We have a few Dairy Queen's around here, but the food is not great. The ice cream is good, though. :) I think with the fast food chains, it's about what people tend to order. In Texas, we ate burgers and stuff at DQ all the time, and so they made them fresh. Here... I don't think many people eat the DQ burgers, so they're... not great.

Latest Discussions