Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Speaking of motorcycles, just started watching long way up, with Ewan Mcgregor. I liked the previous series, so we shall see how this one goes. They're riding electric bikes from the bottom of south america up through central america and then eventually to LA.
Here's the trailer for the show I'm talking about. Watched the second episode last night after Sumo highlights, and I'm enjoying it:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Could be, though I think the shine is fading on the Trump clan. The real fascist of the hour seems to be Tucker Carlson. He appears to be very influential with the stupid, armed, and ignorant set.

A trust fund, private school brat.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A trust fund, private school brat.
Yeah. He's cultivating quite a following, though. The thing I find most galling is that I think a lot of the ignorant cowards who listen to him think they're good, moral people and call themselves patriots.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just curious. Did his name start with a C and rhyme with piss?

He was a black belt though apparently. Came in and was like hey I am a black belt in jujitsu. So we lent him a gi and a black belt.

So the guys were rolling with him and were getting positions and sort of just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Which never did.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. He's cultivating quite a following, though. The thing I find most galling is that I think a lot of the ignorant cowards who listen to him think they're good, moral people and call themselves patriots.

I heard a philosophy discussion on terrorism once. His theory was terrorists Don't lack morals but actually have too many.

Which kind of makes sense. A bad guy wouldn't walk in to a Cafe with a backpack bomb strapped to him. There is no advantage to that.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could be, though I think the shine is fading on the Trump clan. The real fascist of the hour seems to be Tucker Carlson. He appears to be very influential with the stupid, armed, and ignorant set.
I would say your CNN boys and girls are stealing the show right now. And of course our clearly mentally altered President. That was a sad, scary show yesterday.

No was can a sentient, thinking person believe the increase in unemployment, especially in skilled labor, tech, and trade, increase in inflation & gas prices, and radical actions of foreign powers have anything to do with the previous administration. The exception would be in the latter. At least Trump put real respect and fear in certain foreign leaders.

We are not even at the tip of the iceberg yet I am afraid.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I heard a philosophy discussion on terrorism once. His theory was terrorists Don't lack morals but actually have too many.

Which kind of makes sense. A bad guy wouldn't walk in to a Cafe with a backpack bomb strapped to him. There is no advantage to that.
That's interesting, though I'd say terrorists are bad guys, by definition. Just different species of bad guy.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I would say your CNN boys and girls are stealing the show right now. And of course our clearly mentally altered President. That was a sad, scary show yesterday.

No was can a sentient, thinking person believe the increase in unemployment, especially in skilled labor, tech, and trade, increase in inflation & gas prices, and radical actions of foreign powers have anything to do with the previous administration. The exception would be in the latter. At least Trump put real respect and fear in certain foreign leaders.

We are not even at the tip of the iceberg yet I am afraid.
Bless your heart.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So who else is watching falcon and winter soldier? So far, two episodes in, I think it's okay but not blowing me away.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Been thinking about this and it has me wondering if someone was trying to tell me something.

Went to get the MRI yesterday, as I was driving there I'm thinking "I really don't want to go through this knee replacement surgery and 3 week recovery" as I pulled into the parking lot, I changed the radio station, and I heard a song I had not heard in many many years... and not only had I not heard it in many many years, the very first line of the song, that is playing as soon as I get to the station was

You see it's all clear
You were meant to be here

left me thinking

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's interesting, though I'd say terrorists are bad guys, by definition. Just different species of bad guy.

Yeah sort of. They are bad, but that does not make them immoral.

It is an important distinction especially when considering home grown radicalisation.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Terrorism is a hard thing to define, there is actually no agreed upon definition across multiple military and law enforce agencies around the world

And there are times that the terrorist label is applied to revolutionaries by the government they are trying to overthrow. Never heard morality discussed as it applies to terrorism and although I do think it is something interesting to look at as it applies to terrorism, I do not agree that it comes from an over abundance of morality. But then it could come down to how one defines morality. In the case of Muslin terrorists it has to do with reward in the afterlife, in the case of Timothy McVeigh, I might argue the lack of morality as I would if you are looking at the terrorism perpetrated by white supremacists ot neo-nazis. But for some politically motivated terrorists I suppose it cold have an aspect of morality, especially if you are looking at the revolutionary verity.

And I have taken this thread far enough off track, sorry about that all

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bless your heart.
Haha. I was not the one who felt the need to taka a cheap shot at a former President.

Seemed rather transparent that it was an attempt to cover for the gaff made by the current President.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Terrorism is a hard thing to define, there is actually no agreed upon definition across multiple military and law enforce agencies around the world

And there are times that the terrorist label is applied to revolutionaries by the government they are trying to overthrow. Never heard morality discussed as it applies to terrorism and although I do think it is something interesting to look at as it applies to terrorism, I do not agree that it comes from an over abundance of morality. But then it could come down to how one defines morality. In the case of Muslin terrorists it has to do with reward in the afterlife, in the case of Timothy McVeigh, I might argue the lack of morality as I would if you are looking at the terrorism perpetrated by white supremacists ot neo-nazis. But for some politically motivated terrorists I suppose it cold have an aspect of morality, especially if you are looking at the revolutionary verity.

And I have taken this thread far enough off track, sorry about that all

ter·ror·ism
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
noun
  1. the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Seems pretty clear to me. The first three words say it all.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Been thinking about this and it has me wondering if someone was trying to tell me something.

Went to get the MRI yesterday, as I was driving there I'm thinking "I really don't want to go through this knee replacement surgery and 3 week recovery" as I pulled into the parking lot, I changed the radio station, and I heard a song I had not heard in many many years... and not only had I not heard it in many many years, the very first line of the song, that is playing as soon as I get to the station was

left me thinking

"you see it is all clear". I pray that is how the MRI went.
Naturally, we do not relish the pain but it is a means to an end and a better ending. I fully believe this.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Terrorism, terrorist, terror are hard to disseminate sometimes, especially when they are so often misused by the media so much.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
ter·ror·ism
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
noun
  1. the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Seems pretty clear to me. The first three words say it all.
Yes. Agreed. Like the proud boys, the oath keepers, and all the other folks who are prominently displayed on the FBI website. Got it. I agree.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Haha. I was not the one who felt the need to taka a cheap shot at a former President.

Seemed rather transparent that it was an attempt to cover for the gaff made by the current President.
I think the only thing I said about Trump is that the shine seems to be fading on his clan, and that Tucker Carlson seems to be the rising star in the fascist segment of our country.

But either way, take all the cheap shots on Biden you like. Doesn't bother me one bit. And I feel no compulsion to cover for him at all. If he screws up, I'm more than happy to call him out for it. I'm more worried about the policy decisions, though.

How about I'll pay attention to the grown up stuff, and you can take all the pot shots you like, kiddo.

Latest Discussions